Automotive

BC Safety Inspection... where to not get ripped off?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2017 5:32 pm
[OP]
Jan 12, 2010
183 posts
63 upvotes

BC Safety Inspection... where to not get ripped off?

I'm buying a car out of province. It is being shipped to me in a couple of weeks. I knew that getting a Safety Inspection was a required part of the process, but until I started Googling for a place to go and seeing some horrific stories... I thought it was just a formality!

It seems there is a LOT of anecdotal evidence that shops large and small routinely pad the report to force you to pay for unnecessary repairs. Is that just people bitching and moaning about having to fix legit things? Or is there really that many unscrupulous shops?

The car I'm buying is pretty new (2015) and still under full manufacturer warranty. It is coming from out of province rather than out of country, so there's no compliance worries (eg. cars from the US may not have the right kind of seatbelts or DRL or whatever... that won't be the case with a domestic car). There's been no accidents, no repairs, etc. There's legit no reason for this to not pass with flying colours... so is a shop really going to invent things?

The worst stories seem to be about Canadian Tire, which is where i was planning on taking it because it is literally in the same parking lot as the insurance agent I use. Also, I figured a large corporate shop like CT would be the least likely to invent things.

Any recommendations? CT? Budget Brake or guys like that? Small local shop?

No matter where I take it, it is likely that this will be the first of this kind of car they've inspected. There aren't many in BC that have been imported. Maybe I should call the local dealer for advice? I already know they aren't on the BC approved list of inspectors.
4 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
10100 posts
8120 upvotes
Kootenays
If you're looking for info on a local shop, it's always good to include your location. BC is a big province. I would start with either your local dealership for the model, or BCAA, if they have a local inspection station.
[OP]
Jan 12, 2010
183 posts
63 upvotes
smacd wrote: If you're looking for info on a local shop, it's always good to include your location. BC is a big province. I would start with either your local dealership for the model, or BCAA, if they have a local inspection station.
As I said initially
Maybe I should call the local dealer for advice? I already know they aren't on the BC approved list of inspectors.
So dealer is out. BCAA is probably a good bet. As for locality, I was more looking for a recommendation on what type of place to take it to rather than a specific location. As you said... big place :) so I really wasn't expecting personal shopping services. But in case... I live near Kelowna.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
18929 posts
6120 upvotes
London
Go through your local dealership because they are more familiar with the car. They'll likely subcontract it out, but that's behind the scenes.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
10100 posts
8120 upvotes
Kootenays
s_mack wrote: I live near Kelowna.
BCAA Auto Service Centre 1545 Keehn Rd, Kelowna, BC V1X 5T3 (250) 979-4950