• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2020 9:14 am
[OP]
Sep 8, 2008
228 posts
60 upvotes
Vancouver, Canada

BC Salon reopened with price gouging

As you know BC allowed to reopened salons I recently visited a non franchisee man’s salon in Tricities. I saw that they have jacked up their price for basic haircuts by 30% and cash only. No longer accepting debit or credit cards. Any BC or Ontario guys and girls seeing this in your areas?
If this topic seems to benefit RFDers then Upvote the original post by clicking on Upvote button located next to the topic title on top section of the post.
17 replies
Banned
Apr 25, 2020
722 posts
544 upvotes
M1C
perfectcritic wrote: As you know BC allowed to reopened salons I recently visited a non franchisee man’s salon in Tricities. I saw that they have jacked up their price for basic haircuts by 30% and cash only. No longer accepting debit or credit cards. Any BC or Ontario guys and girls seeing this in your areas?
imho, I would have posted this thread in the Fashion & Beauty forum

Salons are not yet open in Ontario.

Why don't you report to the media of this issue.

As B.C. businesses reopen, some charge COVID-19 fees to cover costs
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
3012 posts
1799 upvotes
I would completely understand why some small businesses would increase their fees - they've had no income for the past 10 weeks but yet still have to pay for rent, utilities, insurance and any other associated fees in addition to their living expenses (rent/mortgage, food, utilities, etc.). CERB hardly cuts it for them - students and part-time folks are making more money than them without the same expenses.

If you're lucky to be able to make your full salary during this time, cut small businesses some slack and give them your business otherwise don't but I don't think it's right to complain or be upset by it. Call this price gouging is just plain wrong and inaccurate. For a $20 haircut 30% is only $6...I'm sure people have no problem paying that much for a Starbucks :rolleyes:
Jul 16, 2019
196 posts
96 upvotes
Ontario hair salons are not open. I fully expect them to charge more when they do - more cleaning, less customers per sq ft because of social distancing, some staff may not work, paying the same rent/expenses.
I booked my dog for a grooming this week now that they are open and they told me that they are charging 10% more than before COVID closure.
[OP]
Sep 8, 2008
228 posts
60 upvotes
Vancouver, Canada
vernonco wrote: Ontario hair salons are not open. I fully expect them to charge more when they do - more cleaning, less customers per sq ft because of social distancing, some staff may not work, paying the same rent/expenses.
I booked my dog for a grooming this week now that they are open and they told me that they are charging 10% more than before COVID closure.
So does it mean that as Canadians we are supporting inflation even with barely survival money I got lets say I get only $2000 for CERB and got credit card debts and other stressful situation like health issues, job competition from locals / immigrants when the stock market, real estate are in stagflation?
When I get new job will my employer consider giving me 30% hike in my pay (its only $3.95 more hourly) considering I was jobeless because of Covid-19 mess?
If this topic seems to benefit RFDers then Upvote the original post by clicking on Upvote button located next to the topic title on top section of the post.
Dec 18, 2017
181 posts
104 upvotes
GVA
There are some increased costs for opening a salon. PPE, for one. Also increased cleaning supplies, plus a very big decrease in rotation of customers. My barber told me she can only book one client per 45 minutes now which is about half of what she did before. This is enforced so that she can clean her chair and all other touch surfaces. Barbers already had to clean their clippers, scissors, combs etc, before but now there is even more that needs to be done. She also had to purchase more aprons which her suppliers jacked up the cost over 100%. She can only use one apron per customer now and has to toss them in the wash everyday while wearing her own PPE which she has to change every time a new customer comes in. Proper and certified PPE is very difficult or expensive to get right now for personal service providers - they can't be expected to absorb this cost when already operating at a low margin (especially in high-cost rent areas like Vancouver, Toronto or Montreal).
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
1605 posts
598 upvotes
perfectcritic wrote: So does it mean that as Canadians we are supporting inflation even with barely survival money I got lets say I get only $2000 for CERB and got credit card debts and other stressful situation like health issues, job competition from locals / immigrants when the stock market, real estate are in stagflation?
When I get new job will my employer consider giving me 30% hike in my pay (its only $3.95 more hourly) considering I was jobeless because of Covid-19 mess?
Not sure why you are shocked by this? Grocery stores have remained open, are making profits (Walmart) and the prices have risen. Supply chains have raised costs, places that were closed lost money by being closed and now after reopening will try to recoup their losses. Restaurant prices will be jacked when they open up because of new measures they have to take, cost of food having risen etc.
Some places will survive, many will fail and those who do survive may be able to charge even more for the increased demand that they face.
Alex
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3187 posts
527 upvotes
OP, you did not mention in your original post how much the barber charged for a haircut pre pandemic, only the % increase, which basically could mean anything from $10 to $100 for a basic haircut.

So how much was a haircut pre the virus? If the pre-pandemic cost was $10 to $20 then the barber is hardly price gouging.

Also, from everything I have read there are many restrictions for customers - one of them being that only payment by way of credit card is an allowed form of payment. I shudder to think what I am going to have to pay for a colour/cut in Ontario.
[OP]
Sep 8, 2008
228 posts
60 upvotes
Vancouver, Canada
Blanche123 wrote: OP, you did not mention in your original post how much the barber charged for a haircut pre pandemic, only the % increase, which basically could mean anything from $10 to $100 for a basic haircut.

So how much was a haircut pre the virus? If the pre-pandemic cost was $10 to $20 then the barber is hardly price gouging.

Also, from everything I have read there are many restrictions for customers - one of them being that only payment by way of credit card is an allowed form of payment. I shudder to think what I am going to have to pay for a colour/cut in Ontario.
As far as this 7 seat barber salon is concerned, previously it was $17 (pre-covid) , the new printout said $21, and charged $23 (in BC you are only supposed to charge GST for salon services) and only cash without debit or credit cards and then you would also add tips to it. I am also a business owner but this just gives an impression that the small biz is trying to ditch government taxes and charging it straight to the customers. And I guess we all know that its common by these small businesses to ditch or partially remit government taxes when it comes to GST/HST remittances (CRA is aware that small biz do these practices but i guess going behind 30-50K worth of HST is not really worth CRAs time) but I am not encouraging it.
But then using the excuse of Covid to raise prices, overcharging customers and not issuing receipts with GST numbers on it and engaging in partial or no GST remittance practices is also not really welcome IMHO.
I was there in this salon for 20 minutes in waiting. None of the barber changed their aparon or gloves or masks they wore for them. And I don't know what the provincial Workplace regulation stipulate for these businesses. They have kept 6 ft distance between 2 seats now or closed one of the adjacent seat if its firmed on ground. The only new courtesy to customer is free mask if they don't have one.
I am not against having mercy on these businesses to increase their price by 10% or so but 35% isn't really acceptable when you engage with other practices you do. You will soon see these small businesses playing the same game until caught or their customers are lost.
Jun 4, 2013
214 posts
105 upvotes
Vancouver
10% maybe but some salons said they are charging up to 70% because they can't take in as many customer as before and they need to provide additional PPE. Sorry but PPE doesn't cost 70% more. They need to make changes to their business. You don't see a restaurant increasing their price even though their sales are down.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
3138 posts
1735 upvotes
Vancouver
No increase here. Haircut is still $10 cash.

PPE - Customers bring their own masks.

Cleaning - Bleach, wet towel, and gloves.

Distancing - Customers occupy every other chair.

I would consider +30% price gouging. Operating costs have gone up, but certainly not to the degree some are suggesting.
Oct 3, 2013
994 posts
1229 upvotes
I agree - 30% and cash ONLY is a little steep. That said, perhaps they're just trying to make up for the last few weeks; can't take as many customers at once; aren't having the traffic to sustain operating costs; or perhaps they are under pressure with rent, etc. There could be so many other factors playing in that arrives at that number.

I guess you can always find another salon if you ain't happy with it.
Last edited by Phonophoresis on May 22nd, 2020 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banned
Dec 28, 2019
1021 posts
636 upvotes
Spinner wrote: No increase here. Haircut is still $10 cash.

PPE - Customers bring their own masks.

Cleaning - Bleach, wet towel, and gloves.

Distancing - Customers occupy every other chair.

I would consider +30% price gouging. Operating costs have gone up, but certainly not to the degree some are suggesting.
Where? Even Chinatown is $12.5 cash
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
3138 posts
1735 upvotes
Vancouver
Sgtalpowell wrote: Where? Even Chinatown is $12.5 cash
Look around the Chinese Cultural Center. Shops around the Victoria/Kingsway area have some that are $8 or $9.
Sep 4, 2006
604 posts
197 upvotes
Ottawa
When I go back, my tip will be the usual, no matter what the new price is. And an extra amount to cover the three haircuts I haven't gotten since March.