Automotive

[BC] Using Unhaggle/CCC premium services with Toyota for a better deal?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 21st, 2021 11:11 am
[OP]
Nov 22, 2007
97 posts
58 upvotes
Langley

[BC] Using Unhaggle/CCC premium services with Toyota for a better deal?

Hi,

Looking to purchase a 2021 Sienna XSE soon(ish) in the GVRD. I used Unhaggle and their report is indicating that the Dealer cost is $44,315, Avg price is $47,753 and MSRP is $47,690. My understanding is, Toyota has a no negotiation policy, that was implemented in the early 2000's. My dad leased a 2018 Rav 4 a couple years back, and wasn't able to get a deal either, just freebies thrown in. A friend recently bought a 2021 Rav 4 and was only able to negotiate her trade-in, and some freebies. So armed with that knowledge, i'm not sure I can do anything with it since Toyota may not be willing to play ball. I don't have any trade-in's, as I sold my previous car privately.

So here's my question to those who have used Unhaggle's premium $99 service (or equivalent for Car Cost Canada) with Toyota in BC. This is what their premium service offers,
Second, we offer a Premium service for $99. After you submit your desired vehicle configuration, we send that request out to up to ten dealers in your local area. These dealers then submit their best offer for the vehicle in final, drive-away prices.
Was this service successful in getting you any actual discount on the price that would justify paying for the premium service?

Also, were you able to negotiate a better finance deal? their finance rates are pretty atrocious (3.79% 72mo) given how low interest rates are atm.

TIA!
18 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
15546 posts
3849 upvotes
Toronto
Not sure who told you about the no negotiation policy as I have bought 3 Toyota vehicles and have easily dropped $1500 to $2200 off the price (2002 Camry, 2012 Camry, 2014 Camry).

Any dealership that tells you that is not worthy of your business and you can tell them to take long walk on a short pier.

Have a look at my car buying FAQ and if you follow the steps, you can do the same thing that CCC premium will do but you will save more $$. This has been confirmed by several RFDer who have purchased various Toyota and other brands.

sticky-car-buying-tips-tricks-2398494/
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
[OP]
Nov 22, 2007
97 posts
58 upvotes
Langley
hightech wrote: Not sure who told you about the no negotiation policy as I have bought 3 Toyota vehicles and have easily dropped $1500 to $2200 off the price (2002 Camry, 2012 Camry, 2014 Camry).

Any dealership that tells you that is not worthy of your business and you can tell them to take long walk on a short pier.

Have a look at my car buying FAQ and if you follow the steps, you can do the same thing that CCC premium will do but you will save more $$. This has been confirmed by several RFDer who have purchased various Toyota and other brands.

I actually read and saved your guide previously. Great guide btw! I actually did something very similar in 2010 with Michigan toyota dealerships, emailed them all and pit them against each other. Eventually when all the dealerships bowed out, I went to the dealership that was willing to give me the best price. Toyota USA operates differently though, and they definitely do allow negotiation from my experiences.

I recall the no haggle policy from when my parents bought their 2003 Camry, that is what the Openroad Toyota (Richmond) salesperson told us that was a brand new policy, but i'm not sure if it's something that is exclusive out in western Canada only (because we're apparently bigger idiots who are willing to pay more?). He was a friend of a friend, and we were referred, so I imagine he didn't have to lie. That said, they haven't dealt with Toyota again until 15-16 years later in 2019 at Westminster Toyota, from another referred salesperson. Dad was able to only negotiate extra freebies. Friend who just purchased her new rav4 was from a different Toyota dealership as well, and was also not given wiggle room in the price. That's why i think they're still standing strong with their policy.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
15546 posts
3849 upvotes
Toronto
dmogx wrote: I actually read and saved your guide previously. Great guide btw!

I recall the no haggle policy from when my parents bought their 2003 Camry, that is what the Openroad Toyota (Richmond) salesperson told us that was a brand new policy, but i'm not sure if it's something that is exclusive out in western Canada only (because we're apparently bigger idiots who are willing to pay more?). He was a friend of a friend, and we were referred, so I imagine he didn't have to lie. That said, they haven't dealt with Toyota again until 15-16 years later in 2019 at Westminster Toyota, from another referred salesperson. Dad was able to only negotiate extra freebies. Friend who just purchased her new rav4 was from a different Toyota dealership as well, and was also not given wiggle room in the price. That's why i think they're still standing strong with their policy.
It must be a West Coast thing as I (and several of my friends/RFDers) have not experienced this in Ontario. BC has a terrible reputation for new car sales according to the APA: https://www.apa.ca/investigations_newve ... ngs_bc.asp

There are several threads about discounts similar to my car buying FAQ on RFD that talk about this. I just tried to list the process step by step so people can have a better idea of what to expect. The Youtube videos are also helpful. We all will get fleeced but having some knowledge helps you get a better deal than having no knowledge about things.

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

Dec 3, 2009
658 posts
334 upvotes
Vancouver
dmogx wrote: I actually read and saved your guide previously. Great guide btw! I actually did something very similar in 2010 with Michigan toyota dealerships, emailed them all and pit them against each other. Eventually when all the dealerships bowed out, I went to the dealership that was willing to give me the best price. Toyota USA operates differently though, and they definitely do allow negotiation from my experiences.

Toyota does not have a no haggle policy. It's individual Toyota dealers that are setting these kind of policies and trying to obfuscate it by saying it's a Toyota policy.
Just don't expect much discounts though in GVRD area, but discounts can definitely be had if you push hard enough.

Had friends that got Toyotas in the past few years who generally said they got about $1000-1500 off, this is additional discounts after getting the various BS fees removed.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6811 posts
3102 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Might be where you are located and how much of a monopoly the dealer has. Jim Pattison has a monopoly in my parts.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Oct 4, 2010
690 posts
311 upvotes
Surrey
the no Haggle thing was years ago, i heard it too and it was in their ads. but of course, it now depends on how hot your car is, and supply.

but in general, yes you can haggle. I leased a Toyota at that dealership, offered less than the website price and and got some freebies. If they turn you away, try a different dealer.
Sep 22, 2010
216 posts
44 upvotes
Vancouver
dmogx wrote: Hi,

Looking to purchase a 2021 Sienna XSE soon(ish) in the GVRD. I used Unhaggle and their report is indicating that the Dealer cost is $44,315, Avg price is $47,753 and MSRP is $47,690. My understanding is, Toyota has a no negotiation policy, that was implemented in the early 2000's. My dad leased a 2018 Rav 4 a couple years back, and wasn't able to get a deal either, just freebies thrown in. A friend recently bought a 2021 Rav 4 and was only able to negotiate her trade-in, and some freebies. So armed with that knowledge, i'm not sure I can do anything with it since Toyota may not be willing to play ball. I don't have any trade-in's, as I sold my previous car privately.

So here's my question to those who have used Unhaggle's premium $99 service (or equivalent for Car Cost Canada) with Toyota in BC. This is what their premium service offers, Was this service successful in getting you any actual discount on the price that would justify paying for the premium service?

Also, were you able to negotiate a better finance deal? their finance rates are pretty atrocious (3.79% 72mo) given how low interest rates are atm.

TIA!
I've tried unhaggle free service for 2021 Sienna few months ago, only got reply from OpenRoad Richmond with $500-900 discount depends on trims. They also mention they got a backlog for Sienna, order wait time 3 to 5 months.

PS. Destination Toyota Burnaby listed their demo XSE on AutoTrader, not sure it's still available.
Mar 24, 2009
137 posts
131 upvotes
KW
I’ve heard the Toyota doesn’t haggle for over 25 years….LOL. When a dealership decides that quotas don’t matter, that’s when they will be done haggling.

Easiest way to negotiate is go to ANY salesperson and say do you want to beat the other dealership? It doesn’t matter where you live!!!
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
15546 posts
3849 upvotes
Toronto
Keep in mind that there is a chip shortage that is impacting many manufacturers. I think the combination of less production + chip shortages + covid is a way for dealerships to make up for the lost revenue.

Look at Auto Canada which is a publically traded stock. Last June the price was around $9.50, and it is $45 now. That's why it is good to invest in big chain dealerships like this, and the ones in the US. They are not hurting :)

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/quote/ACQ.TO/

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

[OP]
Nov 22, 2007
97 posts
58 upvotes
Langley
pentiumvi wrote: Toyota does not have a no haggle policy. It's individual Toyota dealers that are setting these kind of policies and trying to obfuscate it by saying it's a Toyota policy.
Just don't expect much discounts though in GVRD area, but discounts can definitely be had if you push hard enough.

Had friends that got Toyotas in the past few years who generally said they got about $1000-1500 off, this is additional discounts after getting the various BS fees removed.
Thanks for your input! Now that I know that some dealerships are willing to play ball, I can fish around. Which dealerships did they visit if you don't mind me asking?
[OP]
Nov 22, 2007
97 posts
58 upvotes
Langley
atxavier wrote: I've tried unhaggle free service for 2021 Sienna few months ago, only got reply from OpenRoad Richmond with $500-900 discount depends on trims. They also mention they got a backlog for Sienna, order wait time 3 to 5 months.

PS. Destination Toyota Burnaby listed their demo XSE on AutoTrader, not sure it's still available.
Thanks for the tip! Yeah, my dad's friend put a pre-order for the 2021 Sienna around mid 2020.. He too was told there's a waitlist. I'm not sure how in demand the Sienna is now, but looking at the sales figures, it's not like they're moving significant numbers with this new model. Likely controlling the output of supply to keep the demand high. Also have to control supply because of chip shortage, even though Toyota had hoarded chips previously.

Did you end up purchasing one from OpenRoad Toyota?
[OP]
Nov 22, 2007
97 posts
58 upvotes
Langley
hightech wrote: Keep in mind that there is a chip shortage that is impacting many manufacturers. I think the combination of less production + chip shortages + covid is a way for dealerships to make up for the lost revenue.

Look at Auto Canada which is a publically traded stock. Last June the price was around $9.50, and it is $45 now. That's why it is good to invest in big chain dealerships like this, and the ones in the US. They are not hurting :)

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/quote/ACQ.TO/
Yeah this might be one of the reasons why they would refuse to sell at a lower cost. Between a new model, and the chip shortage. That said, I recall reading an article very recently about how Toyota isn't impacted like the other manufacturers because they hoarded chips, which was part of their supply chain strategy. Even if they're not impacted, doesn't mean they won't adjust supply of their cars so that they don't run into that predicament, and thus, less cars on the lot for buyers to haggle on.
https://www.autoblog.com/2021/03/09/toy ... -shortage/
Dec 3, 2009
658 posts
334 upvotes
Vancouver
dmogx wrote: Thanks for your input! Now that I know that some dealerships are willing to play ball, I can fish around. Which dealerships did they visit if you don't mind me asking?
Richmond.
Sep 22, 2010
216 posts
44 upvotes
Vancouver
dmogx wrote: Thanks for the tip! Yeah, my dad's friend put a pre-order for the 2021 Sienna around mid 2020.. He too was told there's a waitlist. I'm not sure how in demand the Sienna is now, but looking at the sales figures, it's not like they're moving significant numbers with this new model. Likely controlling the output of supply to keep the demand high. Also have to control supply because of chip shortage, even though Toyota had hoarded chips previously.

Did you end up purchasing one from OpenRoad Toyota?
keep in mind there're huge demand from overseas buyers when you shopping for 2021 Sienna.
https://www.siennachat.com/threads/no-eta-of-my-2021-sienna-due-to-shortage-of-chip.67076/#post-377566

A salesperson from the dealer located on Boyd St mentioned Richmond dealer deal with overseas business.
No, I did not order from Richmond.
[OP]
Nov 22, 2007
97 posts
58 upvotes
Langley
atxavier wrote: keep in mind there're huge demand from overseas buyers when you shopping for 2021 Sienna.
https://www.siennachat.com/threads/no-eta-of-my-2021-sienna-due-to-shortage-of-chip.67076/#post-377566

A salesperson from the dealer located on Boyd St mentioned Richmond dealer deal with overseas business.
No, I did not order from Richmond.
oh wow, i never thought that dealerships would be exporting them to China. I wonder what Toyota Canada thinks about this.
[OP]
Nov 22, 2007
97 posts
58 upvotes
Langley
hightech wrote: Not sure who told you about the no negotiation policy as I have bought 3 Toyota vehicles and have easily dropped $1500 to $2200 off the price (2002 Camry, 2012 Camry, 2014 Camry).

So i've started the car haggling process by email bombing them, and one dealership is willing to offer $700 off msrp and waived documentation fees. So you're right, Toyota dealerships in BC are also willing to negotiate somewhat.
Unfortunately, some other dealerships basically came back and offered no discount due to popularity on the new Sienna, or free mats thrown in at most. Kind of makes me wonder about my initial question, if i paid for the unhaggle premium service and they aren't able to get the price down, i basically end up paying even more for the car lol
Deal Addict
May 30, 2008
1985 posts
344 upvotes
WIN-A-PIG!
dmogx wrote: So i've started the car haggling process by email bombing them, and one dealership is willing to offer $700 off msrp and waived documentation fees. So you're right, Toyota dealerships in BC are also willing to negotiate somewhat.
Unfortunately, some other dealerships basically came back and offered no discount due to popularity on the new Sienna, or free mats thrown in at most. Kind of makes me wonder about my initial question, if i paid for the unhaggle premium service and they aren't able to get the price down, i basically end up paying even more for the car lol
Any updates on your experience? I'm also in the market for a new sienna xse. I already started engaging reps and wondering of I am too late to use unhaggle's premium service.
[OP]
Nov 22, 2007
97 posts
58 upvotes
Langley
anton204 wrote: Any updates on your experience? I'm also in the market for a new sienna xse. I already started engaging reps and wondering of I am too late to use unhaggle's premium service.
I didn't actually use Unhaggle in the end, the reason being is apparently they can't do anything for you right now. I saw on Siennachat that someone mentioned they were refunded their $99, because Unhaggle couldn't do better than the average joe's price.

Car buying is a weird experience right now, 90% of the dealerships i contacted either ignored me, told me they won't sell below MSRP, or only offered car mats at best. One dealership even told me that they weren't taking any more orders for 2021 models. Chip shortage means Toyota isn't building excess, so it's a very tough market out there. I did, however, manage to negotiate almost $2k off MSRP for the XSE, so it really depends on if the dealerships around you are willing to play ball. Good luck!