Real Estate

The Beaches

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 24th, 2020 12:26 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 22, 2011
12610 posts
16110 upvotes
Toronto

The Beaches

Did anyone grow up or live in The Beaches? I am debating if it's a better place to raise kids than in Durham. I know Toronto can vary wildly from neighborhood to neighborhood, or even street to street.

I was looking at the area between queen and kingston road. Are these houses listing low for bidding wars? They seem very reasonable compared to semi/town in the area;

https://www.bungol.ca/map/43.668725&-79 ... 97-4141540
https://www.bungol.ca/map/43.668725&-79 ... 29-4169903
https://www.bungol.ca/map/43.668725&-79 ... 56-4165869

Also how are the schools there? I read that Malvern CI is good for French immersion.
46 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 5, 2018
2916 posts
5209 upvotes
Toronto
I approve of this area.
Called the bottom.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 22, 2011
12610 posts
16110 upvotes
Toronto
CondoMan98 wrote: I approve of this area.
haha thanks, I grew up in Scarborough and I just have this very negative stigma attached to Kingston road but I know the beaches is considered a very good area.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 5, 2018
2916 posts
5209 upvotes
Toronto
sircheersa wrote: haha thanks, I grew up in Scarborough and I just have this very negative stigma attached to Kingston road but I know the beaches is considered a very good area.
I know a good amount of wealthy young families that are moving to the Beaches. I think long term that area does exceptionally well.
Called the bottom.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2018
1123 posts
1916 upvotes
sircheersa wrote: Did anyone grow up or live in The Beaches? I am debating if it's a better place to raise kids than in Durham. I know Toronto can vary wildly from neighborhood to neighborhood, or even street to street.

I was looking at the area between queen and kingston road. Are these houses listing low for bidding wars? They seem very reasonable compared to semi/town in the area;

https://www.bungol.ca/map/43.668725&-79 ... 97-4141540
https://www.bungol.ca/map/43.668725&-79 ... 29-4169903
https://www.bungol.ca/map/43.668725&-79 ... 56-4165869

Also how are the schools there? I read that Malvern CI is good for French immersion.
Went to uni with Beaches folk. Rich, entitled, and overwhelmingly white. A good place to raise a white-anglo family within a white-anglo bubble.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 9, 2007
15005 posts
11533 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Worked in 55 Division before, good area overall.....few shady spots to lookout for where Community Housing is.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2019
1785 posts
2739 upvotes
Stouffville ON
One of my most favourite areas in Toronto.
Full Time and Full Service Realtor
Member
User avatar
Oct 31, 2019
435 posts
563 upvotes
wiab89 wrote: Went to uni with Beaches folk. Rich, entitled, and overwhelmingly white. A good place to raise a white-anglo family within a white-anglo bubble.
I have friends who live there and the beaches seem to be an overwhelmingly older crowd. The younger people who (based on my small sample size) live there are not "overwhelmingly white" but the older crowd definitely is (is this really still a concern in 2020?). It's a very affluent area though so I'd expect entitlement to continue in spades.

I don't know anyone there with kids so can't comment on schools, but I've observed fewer homeless and the area feels safe even by Toronto standards.

The prices in OP's links seem too good to be true but I haven't followed the area closely since its out of my price range so take that with a giant grain of salt.

I'm pretty bullish long-term on the beaches. Fun area, close to downtown and has suburb benefits without feeling like a cookie cutter development. Beautiful to walk around.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 5, 2018
2916 posts
5209 upvotes
Toronto
You are also close to the GO station which is great. There will be lots of future development around it which should gentrify the area further.
Called the bottom.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2018
1123 posts
1916 upvotes
VanByTheRiver wrote: I have friends who live there and the beaches seem to be an overwhelmingly older crowd. The younger people who (based on my small sample size) live there are not "overwhelmingly white" but the older crowd definitely is (is this really still a concern in 2020?).
Canada is multicultural, I wouldn’t want to raise my kids in any bubble (white, asian, south-east asian etc...) because when they go to school with people that all look the same and think the same they end up as poor Canadian citizens with a pretty narrow definition of the way things should be. Beaches is fine, it’s a good area with low crime and well ranked schools, but most of the people that can afford to live there are overwhelmingly white. This may be changing as you mentioned, but if OP is looking to raise a family it’s a consideration that I hope more people would view as important.
Sr. Member
Sep 16, 2009
685 posts
475 upvotes
sircheersa wrote: Did anyone grow up or live in The Beaches? I am debating if it's a better place to raise kids than in Durham. I know Toronto can vary wildly from neighborhood to neighborhood, or even street to street.

I was looking at the area between queen and kingston road. Are these houses listing low for bidding wars? They seem very reasonable compared to semi/town in the area;

https://www.bungol.ca/map/43.668725&-79 ... 97-4141540
https://www.bungol.ca/map/43.668725&-79 ... 29-4169903
https://www.bungol.ca/map/43.668725&-79 ... 56-4165869

Also how are the schools there? I read that Malvern CI is good for French immersion.
Those are some pretty good prices...underlisted?
Jr. Member
Sep 28, 2017
145 posts
104 upvotes
wiab89 wrote: Canada is multicultural, I wouldn’t want to raise my kids in any bubble (white, asian, south-east asian etc...) because when they go to school with people that all look the same and think the same they end up as poor Canadian citizens with a pretty narrow definition of the way things should be. Beaches is fine, it’s a good area with low crime and well ranked schools, but most of the people that can afford to live there are overwhelmingly white. This may be changing as you mentioned, but if OP is looking to raise a family it’s a consideration that I hope more people would view as important.
Hit the nail on the head!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 22, 2011
12610 posts
16110 upvotes
Toronto
oasis2002 wrote: Those are some pretty good prices...underlisted?
I don't know that's why I am curious, 330 Lee has been on the market for 25 days. They are pretty small houses and outside the core. It looks like houses just north of there start at under $1 m.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
19100 posts
17433 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
I like the beaches area quite a lot but also agree with @wiab89
Sr. Member
Dec 28, 2010
881 posts
386 upvotes
Toronto
sircheersa wrote: I am debating if it's a better place to raise kids than in Durham. I know Toronto can vary wildly from neighborhood to neighborhood, or even street to street.
Haven't bought our home yet. But I always wonder of this part - how do you determine a community - your immediate neighbors or street dwellers when making the biggest investment of your life?
At this point our top options seem to be areas, where we have existing friends or family members. But then, what do I know, live in a townhouse with crazy rich intl students next door - who order food 110% and we get frequent knocks all day, asking for right unit # ! :(

btw, we loved the beaches area when renting in downtown. But, preferred Leslieville with more Family friendly vibes. Have you seen the houses in that area?
Last edited by Karma2000 on Jul 10th, 2020 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2056 posts
1326 upvotes
Durham
I live in Durham and love it as well as the kids. But, I always said if I were to live in Toronto, it would be the Beaches.
Sr. Member
Aug 17, 2018
628 posts
1127 upvotes
If you depend on public transportation to commute downtown for work, the Beaches can be troublesome. Taking the Queen St streetcar takes ages during core hours.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 22, 2011
12610 posts
16110 upvotes
Toronto
JanZ95915 wrote: If you depend on public transportation to commute downtown for work, the Beaches can be troublesome. Taking the Queen St streetcar takes ages during core hours.
Can't be worse than coming in from Whitby lol
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 6, 2002
6398 posts
6823 upvotes
Toronto
I live in this area slightly more east towards Vic Park. Right near Malvern CI if you are researching the area.

Nice area, a huge range in houses depending on the street. If you're far enough north it's walking distance to Queen St streetcar, Bloor-Danforth metro, or Main St Go Station depending on where you need to go downtown.

As others have said, somewhat WASPish but there is _some_ diversity, but that increases more the further east of Vic Park you are.

I started working downtown in 2018, and I drive along Danforth-Bloor as well and it's an easy commute before 7:30am (< 20 mins door to door driving+parking.) Option B would be Go to Union St non-stop!

Before, I worked north of Steeles and door to door driving was about 40min.

Good options for smaller houses (2-3 br semis, tiny 1-2 br detached, low rise condos along Kingston, etc.) Some apartment buildings too. Pockets have really nice ($$$) houses and nice streets to walk along (Kingswood, Glen Stewart, Pine, most feeder streets to the beache and the beachfront green areas, etc.)

Decent access to biking areas (Taylor Creek, Martin Goodman, Woodbine bike lanes.)

Kingston and Queen St streetscapes this far east are a bit sparse compared to core and Queen W, but still nice enough. I like the walk down to Queen and the boardwalk and dog areas on the lake.

Kingston Rd corridor undergooing densification with new low rise condos everywhere, means traffic and construction problems for east-west traffic.

Beach Hill Smokehouse at Gerrard/Main is nice (and new location up on Danforth too.) Mmmmmmm brisket... Other favourite local places are Remarkable Bean coffee, Feathers pub, Bagels on Fire, Castro's. Fearless Meats/No Bull Burgers for the burger-poutine cravings.
Last edited by hoob on Jul 11th, 2020 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Si Tacuisses, Philosophus Mansisses
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
50005 posts
14051 upvotes
ONTARIO
I grew up in the beaches... my parents still live in the childhood house i grew up in.
Amazing area. But it was waaaay too white growing up.
I faced a lot of racism.
Area is still the same... mostly white.

I actually still work in the beaches area. Live a bit more west in riverdale/leslieville area.

Top