Beard Dye Allergy Test

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2019 4:16 pm
[OP]
Oct 8, 2011
830 posts
2181 upvotes

Beard Dye Allergy Test

I’m currently doing a skin allergy test for Just for Men’s beard dye on the inside of my elbow. The instruction manual says to keep the test area from being influenced by anything, so now I guess I have to wrap this area before I shower. My question is do I really have to wait 24 hours before applying the dye or is 12 hours a good enough amount of time? I figured 48 hours is what JFM wrote down for liability reasons.

Anyone have any advise?
3 replies
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
11840 posts
5921 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Apply on your inner elbow as you would on your beard. If it calls for not washing your beard for a specified period of time, then do the same on your elbow (cover in saran wrap when showering). Latent IgE>mast>histamine reaction can occur up to 48-72h, so best to wait 3d to see if you develop any skin reaction, commonly manifesting in contact dermatitis. If nothing, then you're good to go. The incidence of hair dye reactions can be up to 40% or 2 in 5 people. Your call how long you actually want to wait.
[OP]
Oct 8, 2011
830 posts
2181 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote:
Sep 16th, 2019 2:13 pm
Apply on your inner elbow as you would on your beard. If it calls for not washing your beard for a specified period of time, then do the same on your elbow (cover in saran wrap when showering). Latent IgE>mast>histamine reaction can occur up to 48-72h, so best to wait 3d to see if you develop any skin reaction, commonly manifesting in contact dermatitis. If nothing, then you're good to go. The incidence of hair dye reactions can be up to 40% or 2 in 5 people. Your call how long you actually want to wait.
Thanks. I’m over 24 hours in now. Still alive. No rash on my inner elbow so far. I do feel a few pimples under my beard now. Hope that’s a coincidence lol.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
11840 posts
5921 upvotes
Southern Ontario
phoreoneone wrote:
Sep 16th, 2019 2:34 pm
Thanks. I’m over 24 hours in now. Still alive. No rash on my inner elbow so far. I do feel a few pimples under my beard now. Hope that’s a coincidence lol.
Coincidence. Highly unlikely it’s absorbed in your elbow without any skin reaction and systemically travels directly to your face causing one. It would also be blotchy red rather than a few pimples.