• May 18th, 2021 9:25 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2010
2874 posts
1051 upvotes
Vaughan

Beats Solo Pro - Brazil version received from Amazon & Staples

Hi all, if anyone may know... I bought Beats Solo Pro headphones from Amazon and Staples. Both came and the packaging is for the Brazil version. Says Apple Brazil and the packaging is mainly in Portuguese. Originally bought it from Amazon who's not an authorized reseller in Canada, thought that was just how they got it. But then ordered from Staples and same thing. Ever heard of this?
Last edited by cloakster on May 15th, 2021 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
10 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15149 posts
6718 upvotes
Toronto, ON
If you're worried about its authenticity, could you put in the serial number and check if it is recognized in Apple's system and is in warranty?

https://checkcoverage.apple.com/

P.S. - If it's from Brazil then it should be in Portuguese not Spanish...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2010
2874 posts
1051 upvotes
Vaughan
rvs007 wrote: If you're worried about its authenticity, could you put in the serial number and check if it is recognized in Apple's system and is in warranty?

https://checkcoverage.apple.com/

P.S. - If it's from Brazil then it should be in Portuguese not Spanish...
Omg I feel stupid, it is Portuguese. I'm terrible at languages.

And thanks for the link, Apples site confirms the serial is legit
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15149 posts
6718 upvotes
Toronto, ON
cloakster wrote: Omg I feel stupid, it is Portuguese. I'm terrible at languages.

And thanks for the link, Apples site confirms the serial is legit
No worries.. it's a common misconception. Brazil is the only south american nation to speak Portuguese. All other countries speak Spanish.

I am curious though... are you saying the packaging for the Beats Solo Pro is all in Portuguese, or is it English & Portuguese? I could see products sold from Amazon not having French, but I'm surprised Staples Canada would be carrying something that wouldn't have English & French...
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15149 posts
6718 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Kiraly wrote: French Guiana: French
Suriname: Dutch
Guyana: English
Sorry I should have said most... it's probably also a common misconception that everyone speaks Spanish in south america too Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2010
2874 posts
1051 upvotes
Vaughan
rvs007 wrote: No worries.. it's a common misconception. Brazil is the only south american nation to speak Portuguese. All other countries speak Spanish.

I am curious though... are you saying the packaging for the Beats Solo Pro is all in Portuguese, or is it English & Portuguese? I could see products sold from Amazon not having French, but I'm surprised Staples Canada would be carrying something that wouldn't have English & French...
Sorry for sideways image, here's what's on it:

https://ibb.co/XxCnJHy
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
6413 posts
6844 upvotes
GTA
cloakster wrote: Sorry for sideways image, here's what's on it:

https://ibb.co/XxCnJHy
Funny, underneath the English I think it says imported and distributed from Brazil. But my Portuguese isn't great so maybe I'm misunderstanding it.
Maybe Beats are made in Brazil now?
c'mon get happy!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2010
2874 posts
1051 upvotes
Vaughan
BernardRyder wrote: Funny, underneath the English I think it says imported and distributed from Brazil. But my Portuguese isn't great so maybe I'm misunderstanding it.
Maybe Beats are made in Brazil now?
I didn't take a pic of the other part due to the serial #, but it does still say made in China. Very much looks like the version sold in Brazil.

Could be legitimate if Apple made a mistake and/or redistributed supply for online sales only. Though, that wouldn't fly in retail stores.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
21252 posts
7661 upvotes
Toronto
cloakster wrote: I didn't take a pic of the other part due to the serial #, but it does still say made in China. Very much looks like the version sold in Brazil.

Could be legitimate if Apple made a mistake and/or redistributed supply for online sales only. Though, that wouldn't fly in retail stores.
Gray market. Amazon is well known to sell gray market stuff. I didn’t know Staples sold gray market stuff though.

Gray market goods are not illegal but it may mean you have no support and no warranty. Not sure how portable the warranty is for Beats though. Some stuff has international warranties so it doesn’t matter where you buy it.
Nov 5, 2018
621 posts
719 upvotes
EugW wrote: Gray market. Amazon is well known to sell gray market stuff. I didn’t know Staples sold gray market stuff though.

Gray market goods are not illegal but it may mean you have no support and no warranty. Not sure how portable the warranty is for Beats though. Some stuff has international warranties so it doesn’t matter where you buy it.
It could be at the distributor level. If somewhere like Synnex got it into their supply chain it would affect multiple retailers.