Fashion & Beauty

Is it becoming rarer to see people wearing 24k jewelry?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 2nd, 2016 6:32 am
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes

Is it becoming rarer to see people wearing 24k jewelry?

Is it becoming rarer to see people wearing 24k jewelry? I remember, when I was growing up, I'd see a lot of people wearing 24k necklaces, often with a jade pendant. Seems rare to see that nowadays?

In fact, I think it's less common to see people wearing gold necklaces in general?
29 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13284 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Gold is the past....now it's silvers turn!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Dec 2, 2013
159 posts
125 upvotes
Edmonton
Definitely more rarer but keep in make that some 24k necklaces aren't as flashy, I know a ton of people who wear gold cross necklaces but keep it under their sweater. I think the trend is going more into gold watches or bracelets.
Dec 24, 2013
668 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto
Skyrocketing gold prices have made it less attractive for jewelry.
Dec 20, 2013
422 posts
44 upvotes
Ontario
Becks wrote: Is that white gold? Probably silver these days!
I don't think white gold is silver. I had a necklace of white gold when I was little and it was very beautiful.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
redflagdeal3 wrote: I don't think white gold is silver. I had a necklace of white gold when I was little and it was very beautiful.
Ya, gold and silver are separate elements on the periodic table. However, most people wear silver jewelry these days rather than white gold. But, my thread wasn't about white gold, anyways.
Apr 18, 2005
432 posts
75 upvotes
NixxonExxo wrote: Does white gold count?
White gold is 18K (ditto rose gold), so it wouldn't count. Gold is yellow by nature and only comes in one colour (so when you say gold or golden, everyone knows you're referring to something yellow). White gold is an alloy of gold and another metal to make it white, typically nickel, manganese or palladium.

To answer OP's question, I would say 24K is less common, even for cultures based in South/Southeast Asia. The younger generations have been wearing more platinum and white gold, but 24K is still a favourite among the older generations.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5909 posts
2223 upvotes
Space
24k gold is too soft and fairly brittle. For a necklace, depending on the thickness,I'd go up to 14 K maximum.
Nov 5, 2015
12 posts
New Westminster, BC
I've been gifted quite a few 24k pieces of jewellery for reaching certain milestones in life. At first I thought it was awesome and tried to wear them, but they are just too soft.

Are they really supposed to be worn? How does anyone even wear 24k jewellery? I don't know what to do with them.. tips anyone?
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2012
1203 posts
345 upvotes
Ontario
Tacky and old fashioned, imo.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
I believe you're supposed to wear it 24/7. That way, you don't break the clasp by continually bending it open and closed.
Nov 5, 2015
12 posts
New Westminster, BC
Has anyone ever given someone else 24k jewellery? What were your thoughts? Did you expect them to wear it or keep it forever kind of thing?
Becks wrote: I believe you're supposed to wear it 24/7. That way, you don't break the clasp by continually bending it open and closed.
But it's not just the clasp that bends, the whole thing bends x_x
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
Stop bending it. Don't touch it when you're wearing it. If it is thin and fragile, then don't wear it all the time. Wear the thick pieces.
Apr 2, 2011
619 posts
317 upvotes
24k gold is not very common only because of how fragile it is. Any stress put on "pure" 24k gold will crack it.