• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2017 9:34 am
[OP]
May 18, 2012
790 posts
362 upvotes
MARKHAM

[Bed Bath And Beyond] $40 - [4 Pack] Philips Hue A19 LED Bulbs

Free shipping on orders over $49, so you don't need to buy two of these in order to get the 25% off at the source, which is out of stock making this the best deal available on these bulbs right now.

Pair this with the 25% off floor lamps at Ikea and you can get some cheap, smart lighting at your house at a cheap rate.

ex.

$7.49 Floor Lamp

Using one of these bulbs get you a floor lamp + smart bulb for under $20.

Remember these are E26 bulbs so make sure you buy a compatible lamp.
50 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2005
9154 posts
1596 upvotes
These are strictly white right? But work with the bridge for home automation?
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2006
4622 posts
445 upvotes
Calgary
jackass_ca wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 5:53 pm
These are strictly white right? But work with the bridge for home automation?
yes
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
10238 posts
3042 upvotes
Toronto, ON
So to get SmartThings integration, I'll need to get a Philips Hue bridge as well? What's the most cost effective way to buy the bridge?

I was thinking of replacing wall switches to control my lights. But from what you're saying, the most cost effective way is actually to get the bridge and these bulbs and let SmartThings control them. Downside is I can no longer control my lights manually with my regular wall switches, correct? For something like a porch light or closet light it probably doesn't matter. I'll link it to a motion detection sensor to control them anyway.
Jan 7, 2017
134 posts
98 upvotes
Hamilton
rvs007 wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 6:11 pm
So to get SmartThings integration, I'll need to get a Philips Hue bridge as well? What's the most cost effective way to buy the bridge?

I was thinking of replacing wall switches to control my lights. But from what you're saying, the most cost effective way is actually to get the bridge and these bulbs and let SmartThings control them. Downside is I can no longer control my lights manually with my regular wall switches, correct? For something like a porch light or closet light it probably doesn't matter. I'll link it to a motion detection sensor to control them anyway.
I think the White Ambiance Starter kit in the best value. You'll think you "need" colours, but you'll get burnt out of them pretty fast... The real value is being able to change the colour temperature to match the ambient light from your windows, which the ambiance bulbs can do. I think one colour bulb for your bedroom can be nice if you're into setting a mood ;)
Oct 19, 2015
250 posts
163 upvotes
Vancouver
rvs007 wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 6:11 pm
you don't have to if you don't intend resyncing the bulbs to hue bridge in the future. if you do, you will need to get a this remote to reset the bulb.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B014STZAS ... ref=plSrch
Nov 26, 2008
390 posts
47 upvotes
GTA
The white ambiance bulbs are great. I’d spend the extra for that.

The colour bulb is great for my toddlers room. She picks a different colour for a nightlight each night. Then I turn it off from my phone once she is sleeping.
Oct 8, 2009
729 posts
216 upvotes
Kitchener
Sorry confused here, these are strictly warm white, but can be dimmed and controlled with some automation.

These do not change from warm to bright white, right?
Jul 10, 2006
351 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto
There's a lot of feedback from people saying that these lights go to 100% on after a power outage. So don't use these in your bedroom if you are a light sleeper.
Jun 15, 2011
38483 posts
5543 upvotes
King City
Is the price the same in store?
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
48 posts
6 upvotes
Torontoish
Comes to $46.98 pre-tax. Free ship is $49... Darn
djemzine wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 10:57 pm
Is the price the same in store?
Doesn't appear to be carried in-store in GTA anyway.
Aug 17, 2006
12 posts
1 upvote
Got some. K-Cups make a good filler item to get free shipping.
Aug 21, 2011
239 posts
79 upvotes
TORONTO
fpenguin wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 7:22 pm
you don't have to if you don't intend resyncing the bulbs to hue bridge in the future. if you do, you will need to get a this remote to reset the bulb.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B014STZAS ... ref=plSrch
Connecting directly to STH is a hit or miss, after I bought the STH I decided to connect the hue bulbs directly and sell my hue bridge but luckily I was not able to sell it quickly. I was not able to control the bulbs all of a sudden, so I decided to go the traditional route retaining the bridge.

Try to get a bridge from kijiji for $20-$25.