Expired Hot Deals

Bed Bath And Beyond

Breville The Barista Express™ BES870XL Espresso Machine in Stainless Steel - $575.99 (coupon required)

Aug 15, 2018
325 posts
447 upvotes
Question for Barista Express owners.
Any way to disable the top surface heating?
I hardly ever use it, and during this hot days just makes my AC run more.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
2333 posts
2975 upvotes
West GTA
sanam79er wrote: Me too. I bought it not very confidently but I am happy I did. Regardless, I think over the last one year its price (with/out discount) has had a relatively big jump, and I wonder why. Its “original” price seemed to be stable at least for a few years before I bought it.

Anyways, with 20%, it is a good price for this machine - Good catch OP.
It's because of COVID, a lot of people who normally go into the office and buy coffee from a shop are working from home and still want fancy coffee, so demand is way up. Supply chain has been disrupted too, so supply is unlikely to have kept up. Eventually competition and capitalism may eat away at the price of this or similar machines, but for now you're buying at a high price.
Jan 1, 2012
511 posts
121 upvotes
Sainte-Therese
Do they ship to quebec?

Also my popup for email sub only offered 15%
May 18, 2016
188 posts
213 upvotes
Mississauga
Pretty sure its a dead deal (I've got 3 coupons, none worked)
Images
  • Capture.PNG
Dec 26, 2017
267 posts
1129 upvotes
Teodore wrote: Question for Barista Express owners.
That feature cannot be disabled - it passively heats the top through the heating system built into the machine to heat up water for brewing. If it didn't release heat through the top of the machine, it would gradually release it through the sides, front or back, grouphead, etc...

It also isn't heating anything unnecessarily. Again, it is just the heat from the heating coils that is designed to release through the top of the machine to warm up your coffee cups, etc.
Jan 15, 2008
188 posts
96 upvotes
Hello redflag dealers!

I've been a long time Breville user, and I love those machines.. From the Cafe Roma to the BES870XL, incredible machines with a good bang for the buck... unfortunately, Breville is closing all their local Service centers that they had. So, I've had my BES870Xl for years now, but It's broken and needs fixing. Usually, no problem to fix that here in Quebec. Need to replace the solenoid valve.. but since January, no replacements parts anywhere and I was told by all official Breville service centers here that they'll no longer repair Breville machines. They were told by Breville that all their service/repairs would be done by their Toronto center if the machine is still under warranty. So, if you ever run into trouble, you must send the machine far far away! And not easy to send since their quite big! All the retailers that are still selling Breville machines told me to stay away from that brand now... may even no exist in 2-3 years from now. It's sad cause it's a heck of a machine, but now, I just use it to grind coffee for my old Cafe Roma that I had in case of!.. be aware...
Chascon...
Nov 24, 2008
8 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
how long does it take to get your coupon? i signed up yesterday, 24 hours now, still didn't get it in any of my 3 emails. I do get emails from B&B saying coupon's on the way..but still didn't get it yet
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2010
1832 posts
1309 upvotes
Coupons no longer apply to the BBE. Deal dead.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2005
1418 posts
193 upvotes
Markham
Chascon wrote: Hello redflag dealers!

I've been a long time Breville user, and I love those machines.. From the Cafe Roma to the BES870XL, incredible machines with a good bang for the buck... unfortunately, Breville is closing all their local Service centers that they had. So, I've had my BES870Xl for years now, but It's broken and needs fixing. Usually, no problem to fix that here in Quebec. Need to replace the solenoid valve.. but since January, no replacements parts anywhere and I was told by all official Breville service centers here that they'll no longer repair Breville machines. They were told by Breville that all their service/repairs would be done by their Toronto center if the machine is still under warranty. So, if you ever run into trouble, you must send the machine far far away! And not easy to send since their quite big! All the retailers that are still selling Breville machines told me to stay away from that brand now... may even no exist in 2-3 years from now. It's sad cause it's a heck of a machine, but now, I just use it to grind coffee for my old Cafe Roma that I had in case of!.. be aware...
Chascon...
Bummer to hear this but luckily I am located in Toronto so it should be ok... picked my machine up last year when it was $480+tax at the beginning of WFH due to COVID.
Dec 31, 2010
902 posts
417 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Kyle_87 wrote: Bummer to hear this but luckily I am located in Toronto so it should be ok... picked my machine up last year when it was $480+tax at the beginning of WFH due to COVID.
same, got it last year from BBB with coupon for 479$ great covid investment
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2005
1418 posts
193 upvotes
Markham
Repost from before but helpful for new owners of this machine:

Here are items to also buy to keep this machine well maintained. Plan to do a maintenance once every 1-2 months to have the machine last a long time.

Descaler :
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B004L8 ... UTF8&psc=1

How to descale:

Cleaning tablets:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B002G4 ... UTF8&psc=1

How to use cleaning tablets:

Water filters:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01F38 ... UTF8&psc=1

Grinder cleaner:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0014J ... UTF8&psc=1

How to clean the grinder:

How to dial in the grinder when you first get your beans to use. After you get it right then you then know the grind settings to use:
Dec 21, 2010
291 posts
203 upvotes
Deal dead. Cannot apply the 20% coupon anymore.

Got the last one in Ottawa last Saturday.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2015
1051 posts
914 upvotes
Mooooonnn
Chascon wrote: Hello redflag dealers!

Chascon...
Called them last week: Service fee are same ($349 for BES), eta is 7-14 days. Within GTA it is three days.

With that being said, Breville itself is a consumer grade brand that is not expected to last as long as Rancicilio/Rocket/Prifitec, etc prosumer grade machines so I would suggest switch to those if you are looking for a machine that last decades. But of course the machine would cost 2-4 times the cost plus a separate grinder that is again $500 plus, yet feature wise it is not on par with Breville, you will see many small good things missing such as pre-infusion, PID, temperature adjustment, low water/trip tray full indicator….
1. Buy cheap, buy twice
2. Don’t buy because it’s cheap. Buy it when needed or it brings convenience/happiness/better quality in life
3. Buy now think (regret/return) later
4. If the gut says don’t tell your lady, don’t!
Feb 24, 2012
284 posts
83 upvotes
TORONTO
grumble wrote: It's because of COVID, a lot of people who normally go into the office and buy coffee from a shop are working from home and still want fancy coffee, so demand is way up. Supply chain has been disrupted too, so supply is unlikely to have kept up. Eventually competition and capitalism may eat away at the price of this or similar machines, but for now you're buying at a high price.
Agreed. I haven’t really spent time to check other products, but given that we must expect high inflation rate, I was kinda hoping that policy makers have been proactive to put most of the burden on unessential products (like less simple expresso machines) to reduce the high jump in the prices for essential products. But I doubt they’d really think that way and probably high-demand is the only reasonable explanation.
Feb 2, 2015
781 posts
338 upvotes
If I'd like to return this does it have to brand-new unopened or as long as it is in relatively new condition (no signs of abuse) then I should be OK? And is it better to return in store or online now that the COVID restrictions are lifted?

Don't think this is significantly better than my 300 bucks Nespresso (if any) so having a bit of buyer's remorse there but already made 2 cups with it to test it out.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2015
1051 posts
914 upvotes
Mooooonnn
Teodore wrote: Question for Barista Express owners.
You can’t
1. Buy cheap, buy twice
2. Don’t buy because it’s cheap. Buy it when needed or it brings convenience/happiness/better quality in life
3. Buy now think (regret/return) later
4. If the gut says don’t tell your lady, don’t!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)