Expired Hot Deals

[Bed Bath And Beyond] [Hot] Baratza Sette 30 Conical Burr Grinder - $287.99

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 2nd, 2020 8:38 pm
Apr 13, 2004
822 posts
415 upvotes
AbdullahI93996 wrote: Today I learned people spend $3-500 on coffee grinders lol. Seriously, how much better can these be than my $20 hamilton beach one?
I am 100% certain you have a passion that others would question the same way. Maybe it's food, cars, shoes, clothes, etc.

A passion that makes you happy, something you see value in. And that's awesome. Even better when you find other fellow geeks to get excited about it with.

Let's not judge each other's passions on RFD, but also let's not flame the guy for not sharing ours (save that sh*t for reddit lol)

If you're not being facetious and actually are curious to learn more, well then you've come to the right thread!

Here is a decent general overview of blade vs burr grinders (educational part concludes at the 2min mark):

Warning: Watching this video may be hazardous to your wallet. Side effects may include many lost hours diving into forums on reddit/home-barista, and/or watching James Hoffmann videos.

I hope it helps you take a step towards better coffee. But if not, well that's ok too - at least you had an open-mind about it and made an informed decision.
Last edited by Spongeboy on May 22nd, 2020 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heatware (11-0-0)
Spongeboy
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
9726 posts
5611 upvotes
Spongeboy wrote: ...

Warning: Watching this video may be hazardous to your wallet. Side effects may include many lost hours diving into forums on reddit/home-barista, and/or watching James Hoffmann videos.

He's the man.
Apr 13, 2004
822 posts
415 upvotes
chatbox wrote: He's the man.
Right? Discovering his channel has been one of my silver linings from this whole COVID mess.
Heatware (11-0-0)
Spongeboy
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
9726 posts
5611 upvotes
Spongeboy wrote: Right? Discovering his channel has been one of my silver linings from this whole COVID mess.
Absolutely. Through his contents, I'm able to find my sanity again.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6325 posts
986 upvotes
At least the wine drinkers usually do a blind tasting with the bottle covered and maintain some credibility as a result. This is just another BS coffee video of which I've seen several where the results are decided ahead of time and the people doing the taste testing can see which cup is the one they're supposed to criticize and which one they're supposed to praise. No attempt at impartiality here. No credibility. That's not to say the results would not be the same in a fair evaluation, but we'll never know. Am I not right?
Jan 19, 2015
24 posts
10 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
woof wrote: At least the wine drinkers usually do a blind tasting with the bottle covered and maintain some credibility as a result. This is just another BS coffee video of which I've seen several where the results are decided ahead of time and the people doing the taste testing can see which cup is the one they're supposed to criticize and which one they're supposed to praise. No attempt at impartiality here. No credibility. That's not to say the results would not be the same in a fair evaluation, but we'll never know. Am I not right?
You’re right in that if the video was trying to be scientific and impartial, it failed as the method is obviously flawed. You could point out that they’re biased as they sell coffee gear and want customers to spend money. With that said, you can design whatever test you want, but it isn’t exaggerating to say there’s a real difference in upgrading from a blade grinder to a very good entry level flat burr grinder. You can make a good coffee with the blade grinder. It helps to shake the blade grinder, sift out the boulders and re-grind those, sift out fines (losing some money on coffee if you do), etc. It’ll take you longer, won’t be as consistent batch to batch, and likely won’t taste as good. If you’re into coffee and want to have really consistent, tasty results, then a grinder is a huge part of that. People pay thousands (there’s diminishing returns of course) for grinders like the monoliths, ek43, eg-1, etc, because the design of the burrs/motors, and alignment result in really uniform coffee particle distributions.

Most people I’ve introduced to “specialty coffee” are pretty surprised at how different coffee can taste depending on where it’s grown, how it’s processed, roasted, ground, and brewed. Even water makes a big difference. Give it a try at a specialty coffee shop sometime. You might be pleasantly surprised too.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
4417 posts
5907 upvotes
Vancouver
unshavenyak wrote: The Kinu m47 is a waste for espresso? News to me.
Kinu m4??? Seriously???

Kinu m4 is

A. Above this price point;
B. It's manual grinder

So it is irrelevant for this thread so why you even bringing it up here???

If we talk _manual_ grinders, yes there are some decent options for under $300...
"A fool and his money are soon parted" Thomas Tusser (1524-1580)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
4410 posts
1709 upvotes
Ancaster
max011 wrote: Kinu m4??? Seriously???

Kinu m4 is

A. Above this price point;
B. It's manual grinder

So it is irrelevant for this thread so why you even bringing it up here???

If we talk _manual_ grinders, yes there are some decent options for under $300...
The m47 Phoenix is $300 with free shipping from Cafune.
Dec 15, 2010
91 posts
5 upvotes
for those that ordered through espressocoffeeshop, how long did shipping take?
Oct 9, 2017
90 posts
57 upvotes
GroomingTuna wrote: for those that ordered through espressocoffeeshop, how long did shipping take?
I ordered on Sunday afternoon and it arrived Tuesday. I would expect no less, for the standard 35€ price.

The Mignon is absolutely gorgeous, if that's what you're thinking about. Weighs a ton and grinds beautifully.
Apr 13, 2004
822 posts
415 upvotes
skjohnson wrote: I ordered on Sunday afternoon and it arrived Tuesday. I would expect no less, for the standard 35€ price.

The Mignon is absolutely gorgeous, if that's what you're thinking about. Weighs a ton and grinds beautifully.
If you don't mind me asking, how much duty/brokerage did you pay? The average I saw a while back on Reddit was ~$70, wondering if that's still the same.
Heatware (11-0-0)
Spongeboy
Aug 21, 2005
556 posts
56 upvotes
Vancouver
Ordered last Monday , likely delivering today. UPS should have delivered on Friday but you know...ups doesn’t deliver on time anymore.

Taxes and duties were $70
Apr 27, 2012
567 posts
308 upvotes
Ottawa
For you guys ordering from Europe, what were the savings when you include shipping/duties.
Feb 28, 2017
86 posts
27 upvotes
I paid $620 all in for the Specialita.

It's $879 before tax locally.