Expired Hot Deals

[Bed Bath And Beyond] [Hot] Baratza Sette 30 Conical Burr Grinder - $287.99

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 2nd, 2020 8:38 pm
Sr. Member
User avatar
Apr 27, 2012
558 posts
299 upvotes
Ottawa
coffeespill wrote: I paid $620 all in for the Specialita.

It's $879 before tax locally.
I looked at espresso coffee shop for the Eureka Mignon Perfetto and it came to 331 euro + 220 euro (110 V) and = 551 euro excluding vat. How are you guys getting it for 500-600 cad?
Newbie
Feb 28, 2017
86 posts
27 upvotes
benzylique wrote: I looked at espresso coffee shop for the Eureka Mignon Perfetto and it came to 331 euro + 220 euro (110 V) and = 551 euro excluding vat. How are you guys getting it for 500-600 cad?
As someone earlier in this thread mentioned as well, you don't want to select the 220 euro option. There should be a cheaper 110v option.
Sr. Member
Nov 8, 2007
552 posts
195 upvotes
Finally settled on the Sette 30, and just in time! Must have got one of the last units as it is out of stock now.

I recently got a Technivorm and was using my Breville 870XL grinder on the coarsest setting as a temporary solution for drip coffee. The grind was okay for some beans, but others were obviously over-extracted and bitter. The Sette improved things immediately, though as expected, the lowest grind setting is just barely coarse enough for drip.
Don't really plan to do French press, cold brew or anything like that so I don't think I'll need the BG burr anymore. Still it's nice to know it's only $35 for the upgrade if I change my mind. Another $90 for the micro adjustment ring and you can have a Frankenstein Sette 270 for $50 less (minus the 2 additional timer presets).

The grinder is actually smaller than I expected. Build quality is good, nothing standout but not flimsy either. However it is definitely loud, not unbearable, but noticeably louder than most grinders.
Having the grinds pass straight through is great, I've fixed a Virtuoso that had a notable amount of grinds sneak into the body over time. It still lasted about 10 years but I'm curious if that was the main reason for the motor seizing up.
On the Sette a trace amount of grind does miss the catcher at times but it's easy enough to dust off counter every once in a while.

So far I'm very pleased and okay with saving the extra $300+ forgoing the Mignon Specialita. It's a beautiful machine but even with discounts the price point and extra fees made it much less appealing for my limited uses.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 1, 2008
3522 posts
554 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
coffeespill wrote: For anyone ordering from espresso coffee shop, use coupon code 6786. I called the store in Italy on Friday and they gave me that code and it saved me 17.50 euros on the Eureka Specialita
Thanks, ordered still works.
Jr. Member
Aug 23, 2010
150 posts
17 upvotes
hyperactiveme wrote: Thanks, ordered still works.
Did you include the add on for the 110V? I noticed after the add on, the price will come close to what retails here.
Member
Aug 8, 2007
411 posts
258 upvotes
Just wanted to share my experience with Baratza. A local espresso repair shop cautioned me against their grinders due to their high failure rate but I had already purchased a Vario. Sure enough it failed after a couple years and it was a costly repair. It lasted another 3 or 4 years and then stopped grinding and would actually start up briefly when you plugged it in even without the hopper.

Their web site goes on about repairing and not discarding their machines so I reached out to their help desk and they have been helping me find out what the problem was as they had never had this issue before. I can say they don’t give up, they sent me a free replacement control board and walked me through all the steps to check each component and were prepared to send a second free control board if that was the problem. It took a while but we have finally confirmed it is the motor that is shot and I found a store in Calgary selling one for about $55 with free shipping at $75 so I added some local beans to top it up.

So Baratza after sales support has been very good, just too bad it needs to be.
Jr. Member
Jan 8, 2020
127 posts
48 upvotes
I agree that Baratza failure rates are higher than expected. I bought Sette 30 through BBB and LCD display failed immediately after I started using it. They sent me a replacement but still it is sad to see they have some quality issues.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jan 24, 2009
927 posts
563 upvotes
Montreal
Neo_ZX wrote:

I recently got a Technivorm and was using my Breville 870XL grinder on the coarsest setting as a temporary solution for drip coffee. The grind was okay for some beans, but others were obviously over-extracted and bitter. The Sette improved things immediately, though as expected, the lowest grind setting is just barely coarse enough for drip.
Don't really plan to do French press, cold brew or anything like that so I don't think I'll need the BG burr anymore. Still it's nice to know it's only $35 for the upgrade if I change my mind. Another $90 for the micro adjustment ring and you can have a Frankenstein Sette 270 for $50 less (minus the 2 additional timer presets).

The grinder is actually smaller than I expected. Build quality is good, nothing standout but not flimsy either. However it is definitely loud, not unbearable, but noticeably louder than most grinders.
Having the grinds pass straight through is great, I've fixed a Virtuoso that had a notable amount of grinds sneak into the body over time. It still lasted about 10 years but I'm curious if that was the main reason for the motor seizing up.
I also bought a Sette 30 primarily for use with a Technivorm. I also came from a 1st gen Virtuoso for over 10 years. It still worked but even with the upgraded burrs and transmission, new chassis, burr holder and adjuster I was getting too many fines and for espresso, forget it.

I stuck with Baratza due to their amazing support and the serviceability of their grinders. I also like that they seem to continually improve their products and generally the older ones can be upgraded.

One thing is it takes about 5 lbs of coffee to season the burrs and you will see that you have to adjust finer over time. I started at 30 but now down to 26 after about 3 lbs of coffee and getting excellent results and an incredibly consistent grind. I'm using mostly Ethiopian lighter roast beans which tend to give better cups when ground slightly finer. I generally pick the grind to hit a brew time target (around 6 minutes for a 1l pot)

Don't underestimate the amount of time seasoning will take, and if you are also using for espresso, you might have to put in one of the supplied shims as once broken in might not be fine enough, but might be too fine at the other end. If I find this happening it's only $30 for the S2 burrs but for my needs it's damn good as it is.

One thing I really like is the Moccamaster brew basket fits perfectly on the portafilter arms which I find pretty neat.

In all this is a very innovative grinder and it looks great on my coffee cart.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
2231 posts
2332 upvotes
Curious as to why people wouldn't opt for the significantly less expensive Encore if using just for drip machines. I've had mine for over 10 years and could not be any happier with it's trouble free performance. Don't know what advantages a Sette can get you when you're just doing pour overs.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 1, 2008
3522 posts
554 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
temple03 wrote: Did you include the add on for the 110V? I noticed after the add on, the price will come close to what retails here.
Put in your shipping address otherwise it's charging you vat. It was $580 plus $77 to the government. 4 day delivery
Images
  • 00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200629143635050_COVER.jpg
Last edited by hyperactiveme on Jun 29th, 2020 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jan 24, 2009
927 posts
563 upvotes
Montreal
thelasthunter wrote: Curious as to why people wouldn't opt for the significantly less expensive Encore if using just for drip machines. I've had mine for over 10 years and could not be any happier with it's trouble free performance. Don't know what advantages a Sette can get you when you're just doing pour overs.
That’s the thing...I’m also doing espresso. I don’t do pour over and will not likely ever use a French press so this was the best choice.

Based on my experience with the innards of the Encore/Virtuoso I didn’t want to go that route. Also the burr design for me produces too many fines as it gets coarser.

Not to say these are bad grinders, it’s just they don’t cover the full range I need.

Ideally I would have gone with a flat ceramic burr grinder but too expensive for my budget.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 18, 2003
6336 posts
134 upvotes
Etobicoke
For anyone seriously into good coffee/espresso, don't measure your grinds by amount of grinding time or volume. You must measure by weight (like the Sette). Also, oily beans need slightly slower grinding speed if you are grinding fine powder (eg. for espresso). Slower speeds allow the grinds to properly settle in the portafilter so when tamped with a standard 30lb weight and 180 degree twist, it compacts better to allow better extraction. If you are paying $$$ for a grinder, be sure it has variable grinding speed and a weight scale to measure output. Finally, be sure the manual has instructions on how to remove the burr for periodic cleaning/sharpening to ensure the grinder always works like new. You don't want a $1000 grinder to become dull and grind like a $100 grinder. The edge of the grinds, when viewed by a magnifier, must have clean cut instead of having splinters. The splinters easily over extracts and adds bitterness.
Jr. Member
User avatar
Jul 15, 2005
171 posts
68 upvotes
Scarborough
hyperactiveme wrote: Put in your shipping address otherwise it's charging you vat. It was $580 plus $77 to the government. 4 day delivery
My total For specialita came to 367.50 euros (with 110v, and shipping). Ask for a coupon code, they’ll give you at least 5% off which is better than nothing.

The shipping is ridiculously fast but I would expect it for 35 euros. I ordered on July 1 and it’s expected to arrive TODAY. I paid the IMPORT COD fees by UPS and was pleasantly surprised to learn that Italy has a trade agreement with Canada so no duties. You’ll pay HST on the invoice price and UPS charged about $12 brokerage fees which is NOT BAD by UPS standards.

All in all I got the specialita 110v for approx $563 + 84 = $647 cad.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 23, 2003
4074 posts
945 upvotes
Hamilton
I got a sette 270wi recently.
I absolutely love the dose grind!

So much easier and very very accurate.

No clumps at all. Even grind and hardly any coffee waste.

I would get the mignon hands down if it had Dose grind and low retention like the sette.

But I doubt that's possible for the price.
The sette did set me back 7xx + tax though. (ouch)

Edit:
After reading reviews I'm Gunna return my Wi and get the mignon.
The quality and longevity and even a price savings is selling me.
Sette seems good. But not long term.
Last edited by sidshock on Jul 3rd, 2020 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top