Expired Hot Deals

[Bed Bath And Beyond] [Hot] Baratza Sette 30 Conical Burr Grinder - $287.99

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 2nd, 2020 8:38 pm
Apr 27, 2012
567 posts
308 upvotes
Ottawa
I found this forum and then ended up picking up the Eureka specialita like most of you. Duties and brokerage came to about 12-13 percent so not bad and definite savings buying directly from Italy.
I've had it for a few weeks and it's been great!
Jul 15, 2005
171 posts
68 upvotes
Scarborough
benzylique wrote: I found this forum and then ended up picking up the Eureka specialita like most of you. Duties and brokerage came to about 12-13 percent so not bad and definite savings buying directly from Italy.
I've had it for a few weeks and it's been great!
I was actually contemplating the silenzio since it’s cheaper but ultimately went with specialita. 50 vs 55mm burrs will be virtually non distinguishable in taste, but the longevity might be better with the 55mm. I already single dose with my gram scale so a timer is just an added luxury for convenience.
Oct 5, 2003
50 posts
5 upvotes
Perfect timing to find this thread! Also getting expensive :(

I just picked up a rocket mozzafiato yesterday and was going to just make do with my current breville smart pro grinder. I ended up just ordering the Eureka specialita also!
Looking forward for the new grinder!
Nov 7, 2003
928 posts
293 upvotes
Questions for you coffee experts please...

How would this compare to the Breville Smart Pro grinder?

https://www.thebay.com/product/breville ... lsrc=aw.ds
Everyone has cool signatures with the stuffs they own listed... I'm in!!!
Koodo $40 6GB plan + Public Mobile $15 for 100 mins and 250MB Data X2 for the parents
Some Apple stuffs
Some Android stuffs
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2003
4075 posts
945 upvotes
Hamilton
Returned my amazon sette 270wi. 900bucks back. Last day to initiate a return too!
$576 to my door for the specialito.
+ whatever tax / brokerage.
Only $7 off coupon. Couldn't get a 10% sadly
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6267 posts
106 upvotes
Proteinz wrote: My total For specialita came to 367.50 euros (with 110v, and shipping). Ask for a coupon code, they’ll give you at least 5% off which is better than nothing.

The shipping is ridiculously fast but I would expect it for 35 euros. I ordered on July 1 and it’s expected to arrive TODAY. I paid the IMPORT COD fees by UPS and was pleasantly surprised to learn that Italy has a trade agreement with Canada so no duties. You’ll pay HST on the invoice price and UPS charged about $12 brokerage fees which is NOT BAD by UPS standards.

All in all I got the specialita 110v for approx $563 + 84 = $647 cad.
I wish I had been aware of that trade agreement in the past.. I got burned by duties in the past so I ended up buying from idrinkcoffee during a sale instead.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
4408 posts
1705 upvotes
Ancaster
mart242 wrote: I wish I had been aware of that trade agreement in the past.. I got burned by duties in the past so I ended up buying from idrinkcoffee during a sale instead.
It’s CETA. You need to go to the CETA website to determine what is and is not duty exempt.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6336 posts
134 upvotes
Etobicoke
WetPantsClub wrote: You all seem knowledgeable about this. I've had this Krups burr grinder (https://www.amazon.ca/Krups-GVX2-Expert ... B0001I9R8W) for the last 10 years and it has been great. What would be the difference between that and one of these much more expensive grinders? I only do French press via an Espro French Press. Thanks.
You've already said the keyword "great". If you like the coffee the way you've been making it, then that is all there is. You already have the perfect machine that no money can buy.

You only need $$$ machines if you're not satisfied with the coffee/espresso you've been making. Or if you are a business that has to cater to customer demands and makes 20 different types of coffees or blends in 30 minutes. Or if you have tried someone else's coffee and want the same thing so you have to experiment with different variables to replicate that perfect cup. These machines allow you to control many variables that cheaper machines wouldn't allow you to control. And it can maintain consistency between each use so coffee always comes out the same. It's for people who aren't satisfied with their coffee, or who want to replicate that same taste time after time or who want to experiment with minute adjustments to achieve better taste.
May 15, 2015
124 posts
54 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Can I take this thread into bonus round?

Eureka Mignon Perfetto or Rancilio Rocky?

It'd seem to me that the Rocky would be the RFD go-to, not too expensive, super reliable etc. My only real specific need is that it's easy to change between espresso and peculator coffee grinds, same beans. I do recall reading that the Rocky is tough to change settings it it's not running. Is it possible with the Mignon?

I'll get either one depending on what you internet strangers tell me to do.
Jul 15, 2005
171 posts
68 upvotes
Scarborough
BigStick wrote: Can I take this thread into bonus round?

It'd seem to me that the Rocky would be the RFD go-to, not too expensive, super reliable etc. My only real specific need is that it's easy to change between espresso and peculator coffee grinds, same beans. I do recall reading that the Rocky is tough to change settings it it's not running. Is it possible with the Mignon?

Possible with mignon but not ideal if you’re switching the setting daily. It’ll become a real chore dialling in for espresso shot every time you switch back. Ideal to have a grinder for coarse grinding if you’re pulling shots daily.
Jan 24, 2009
928 posts
563 upvotes
Montreal
BigStick wrote: Can I take this thread into bonus round?

For any grinder you need to adjust while it’s running when there are beans in it. If you weigh first and it’s empty no problem. Good grinders are expensive so you have to be careful.

But since you make perc you might want to consider a second cheaper grinder. The ones being discussed here are really designed for espresso and might not get coarse enough for perc.

I have no experience with the Mignon or the Rocky but I’ve used a Mazzer Mini which have exceptionally good results.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
3146 posts
2954 upvotes
Alberta
I use the Rocky grinder paired with a Rancilio Silvia and it gives great results.
May 15, 2015
124 posts
54 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
randomroyalty wrote: For any grinder you need to adjust while it’s running when there are beans in it. If you weigh first and it’s empty no problem. Good grinders are expensive so you have to be careful.

But since you make perc you might want to consider a second cheaper grinder. The ones being discussed here are really designed for espresso and might not get coarse enough for perc.

I have no experience with the Mignon or the Rocky but I’ve used a Mazzer Mini which have exceptionally good results.
Gotcha. Just watched the introductory video for Mignon on the Italian site and it looked like the guy was spinning the grind setting freely while the machine was off. Wife likes her drip coffee, I like my espresso, we both drink every morning so somehow need to be able to switch back and forth easily, or get two grinders!

Can anyone who got the Mignon confirm whether it's easy to change grind settings while the machine is off?
Jul 15, 2005
171 posts
68 upvotes
Scarborough
BigStick wrote: Gotcha. Just watched the introductory video for Mignon on the Italian site and it looked like the guy was spinning the grind setting freely while the machine was off. Wife likes her drip coffee, I like my espresso, we both drink every morning so somehow need to be able to switch back and forth easily, or get two grinders!

Can anyone who got the Mignon confirm whether it's easy to change grind settings while the machine is off?
As the other poster mentioned, grind settings should only be changed while actually grinding coffee. I’m looking at the eureka perfetto/silenzio/specialita manual right now and they suggest grinding a little coffee w/ max 2 notches change each time. There’s a touch of retention between grinds but minimal.
May 15, 2015
124 posts
54 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Proteinz wrote: As the other poster mentioned, grind settings should only be changed while actually grinding coffee. I’m looking at the eureka perfetto/silenzio/specialita manual right now and they suggest grinding a little coffee w/ max 2 notches change each time. There’s a touch of retention between grinds but minimal.
Thanks for the insight. In that case I think I'll get the Rocky. I know it's not ideal but I'm probably going to be flipping around between ground settings and it just looks a lot less fragile than the Perfetto.