Expired Hot Deals

[Bed Bath And Beyond] [Hot] Baratza Sette 30 Conical Burr Grinder - $287.99

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 2nd, 2020 8:38 pm
Jr. Member
User avatar
Jul 15, 2005
171 posts
68 upvotes
Scarborough
BigStick wrote: Thanks for the insight. In that case I think I'll get the Rocky. I know it's not ideal but I'm probably going to be flipping around between ground settings and it just looks a lot less fragile than the Perfetto.
Yeah that’s probably the better decision for your usage. Not sure if fragile is the right word. The grinder is tank and while you CAN switch between coarse/fine it’s not really something most people do, just a feature in case you really needed to. Perfetto is actually looser in its grind settings than the specialita which is why they market it for wider grind range (easier to adjust than the specialita but by no means practical for daily changes)
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2003
1049 posts
653 upvotes
Calgary
BigStick wrote: Thanks for the insight. In that case I think I'll get the Rocky. I know it's not ideal but I'm probably going to be flipping around between ground settings and it just looks a lot less fragile than the Perfetto.
I wouldn't go with the Rocky if you're switching back and forth, too much grind retention. I switched from the Rocky (older gen) to the Sette 30 strictly for this reason (I switch back and forth between espresso, aeropress, v60 throughout the day).
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jan 24, 2009
929 posts
564 upvotes
Montreal
Strider wrote: I wouldn't go with the Rocky if you're switching back and forth, too much grind retention. I switched from the Rocky (older gen) to the Sette 30 strictly for this reason (I switch back and forth between espresso, aeropress, v60 throughout the day).
+1 and exactly the reason why I got the Sette 30. I haven’t dialed in Espresso yet (just replaced the pump) but I’m getting absolutely delicious brew with my Moccamaster and that with the standard AP burr, not even fully broken in yet.
Jr. Member
User avatar
May 15, 2015
124 posts
54 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Strider wrote: I wouldn't go with the Rocky if you're switching back and forth, too much grind retention. I switched from the Rocky (older gen) to the Sette 30 strictly for this reason (I switch back and forth between espresso, aeropress, v60 throughout the day).
OK. Great to know. Thanks!
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 22, 2005
19815 posts
5045 upvotes
Off the 404
Spongeboy wrote: Right? Discovering his channel has been one of my silver linings from this whole COVID mess.
chatbox wrote: Absolutely. Through his contents, I'm able to find my sanity again.
I'm not even a big coffee drinker, french press once a week and phin filter a few times a week, and somehow I am on month #2 as a Patreon supporter for James. Explain that to me, I've been furloughed since March and have been actively looking for work.
Sr. Member
Dec 26, 2006
872 posts
767 upvotes
hyperactiveme wrote: Put in your shipping address otherwise it's charging you vat. It was $580 plus $77 to the government. 4 day delivery
That's soooo pretty!! Astonished Face Surprisingly decent price compared to Cdn etailers and fast shipping considering it's coming from Italy!
Sr. Member
Dec 26, 2006
872 posts
767 upvotes
Those with the Eureka Mignon Specialita, is there much spillage from the chute into the portafilter? I've got a Bezzera BB005 stepless and find that it leaves a bit of a mess after a few grinds. Some grounds don't get into the portafilter and sprays around the portafilter onto the tray on to counter.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 1, 2008
3529 posts
560 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
I've got nothing falling out. This was the reason I got it. My Ascaso i2 mini ground perfectly however lots of retention so randomly spill grinds.

The only downfall in this Mignon grinds so fluffy that I stop halfway, level then finish grinding otherwise it's too high for my portafilter.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 17, 2006
6210 posts
2164 upvotes
GTA
frugalcanuck wrote: Those with the Eureka Mignon Specialita, is there much spillage from the chute into the portafilter? I've got a Bezzera BB005 stepless and find that it leaves a bit of a mess after a few grinds. Some grounds don't get into the portafilter and sprays around the portafilter onto the tray on to counter.
I use a bottomless and i don't use the portafilter attachment (i removed it), but people use a funnel when they attach the portafilter to the grinder. Depending on your beans you may get some spillage so the funnel would solve that problem.

I grind it into a container, and then toss it in basket wdt and level then tamp.
Sr. Member
Dec 3, 2005
685 posts
664 upvotes
S
hyperactiveme wrote: I've got nothing falling out. This was the reason I got it. My Ascaso i2 mini ground perfectly however lots of retention so randomly spill grinds.

The only downfall in this Mignon grinds so fluffy that I stop halfway, level then finish grinding otherwise it's too high for my portafilter.
dosing ring works wonders
Newbie
Nov 6, 2012
6 posts
Vancouver
Ordered the Baratza Sette 30 from BB&B 4 days ago, got an Out of Stock and Cancelled Order email today! How trashy of them instead of putting me on backorder. A self reminder for me to go for smaller business rather than these big retailers. At least I get to keep the cash rebate.

Next best deal is from idrinkcoffee.com provided you ask for a price match with Green Beanery. It comes out to $339. After tax, it's $30 more than BB&B since for BB&B I'm paying 12% tax in BC, for order from idrinkcoffee it's 5% and considering they have the VIM program, I guess that's a good trade-off.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 23, 2003
4082 posts
947 upvotes
Hamilton
I received my Mignon Specialita.
Looks good. RED.
Only part that feels cheap is the bean hopper.
The tab that closes the hopper from the burrs is SUPER tight.
I need to force it to the point of almost breaking to close properly.
Otherwise, there's a 1/4" gap if I don't close it fully. I can prob fix it up myself with a light sanding on the edges of the paddle that slides.
Anyone else with a similar issue??
Haven't fired it up yet.
What's a good dial number to start my espresso trials on?? Came at default #3 setting.
Newbie
Nov 23, 2018
38 posts
19 upvotes
nawisnguyen wrote: Ordered the Baratza Sette 30 from BB&B 4 days ago, got an Out of Stock and Cancelled Order email today! How trashy of them instead of putting me on backorder. A self reminder for me to go for smaller business rather than these big retailers. At least I get to keep the cash rebate.

Next best deal is from idrinkcoffee.com provided you ask for a price match with Green Beanery. It comes out to $339. After tax, it's $30 more than BB&B since for BB&B I'm paying 12% tax in BC, for order from idrinkcoffee it's 5% and considering they have the VIM program, I guess that's a good trade-off.
If it’s any consolation, BB&B appears to be in dire straits financially now, so dealing with them will likely be a shitshow for some time to come.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 17, 2006
6210 posts
2164 upvotes
GTA
sidshock wrote: I received my Mignon Specialita.
Looks good. RED.
Only part that feels cheap is the bean hopper.
The tab that closes the hopper from the burrs is SUPER tight.
I need to force it to the point of almost breaking to close properly.
Otherwise, there's a 1/4" gap if I don't close it fully. I can prob fix it up myself with a light sanding on the edges of the paddle that slides.
Anyone else with a similar issue??
Haven't fired it up yet.
What's a good dial number to start my espresso trials on?? Came at default #3 setting.
Id run it dry until the burrs come in contact, so the grinder is "siezed". From that point loosen it up to say 2-4 major dials, e.g if it siezes at "3" then take it up between 5-7 and adjust from there.

All depends on your coffee and what kinda alignment it had from factory. I had to do an alignment which took a while and had to shim it.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 23, 2003
4082 posts
947 upvotes
Hamilton
porksoda wrote: Id run it dry until the burrs come in contact, so the grinder is "siezed". From that point loosen it up to say 2-4 major dials, e.g if it siezes at "3" then take it up between 5-7 and adjust from there.

All depends on your coffee and what kinda alignment it had from factory. I had to do an alignment which took a while and had to shim it.
Thanks. It's worked well!
The factory alignment was almost spot on.

I actually put my hand in there. Free spun it as I tightened the dial until it stopped moving.
Then I let off 3 - 4 dials as you said.
The hopper tab is def not sized well.
Thank God I got a chute though.
If I didn't use a chute grinds would get all over.
With the chute it's mess free.great machine so far.
Hate the lcd display. I can see it going bad. Even a tiny bit of pressure and you can see the lcd get distorted. Wish it was mechanical controls too.

Top