Expired Hot Deals

[Bed Bath And Beyond] Nespresso VertuoPlus Deluxe Coffee and Espresso Maker Bundle $191 clearance + 20% off email coupon=$152.80

Oct 29, 2006
88 posts
44 upvotes
Vancouver
swordy wrote: How are you sealing that with pressure? Isn’t that selling point of espresso coffee? Otherwise would be the same as drip coffee like Kurg

don't think the pressure matters, the machine already punctures it and lets out the pressure before you even hit the go button
Feb 21, 2019
133 posts
285 upvotes
Vancouver
I had Nespresso coffee in a hotel once, and was very impressed. Been waiting for a good sale. Scooped up the breville vertuoline for a decent price.
Apr 14, 2006
762 posts
478 upvotes
St Johns
asterisk* wrote: $30

I just had to.

🤣

But on a serious note. Getting third party pods/refillable pods— doesn’t that defeat the purpose of a Nespresso? I mean, I just use mine for espressos only. So, ordering the pods at ~$1 a piece is worth it for me.

And I’ve heard/read that the 3rd party pods and refillable pods are a few levels short when it comes to quality.

So. Why??

Just curious.
You are spot on ... Face With Tears Of JoyWhy do people bother buying Nespresso just for the machine?
I personally find the coffee pretty amazing, I tried a lot of garbage out there, nothiing compares. Personally love the Ristretos...
Apr 21, 2008
163 posts
142 upvotes
Upvote for the comments in this thread

Learned a lot about refillable pods LOL

Thanks!
Sep 13, 2018
44 posts
18 upvotes
Why would anyone downvotes this?! Don't like it ? Move on.
I got the Citiz&Milk on for the additional 20% off on $237 for the wife. Went with the original line so we could get 3rd party pods.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2981 posts
1584 upvotes
nomorepenniestopinch wrote: I'm a coffee snob and swore off pods years ago; I bought a $500 Breville espresso machine and never looked back (aside from my french press). That is, until a coworker brought a Nespresso Inissia to work and put it in my office. I was blown away how good the espresso was/is; I ended up buying like $150 in pods the next day. At around $1/pod it's a lot more than Keurig, but you get a wayyyy better coffee, even making them Americano-style with the lungo (long shot) pods. Still cheaper than going out for coffee...although I'm going through like 4 pods a day.
But that Inissia is an OL machine, which makes espresso using traditional pressure method. The OP's VL machine make fake espresso with really weird tasting crema.
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2981 posts
1584 upvotes
swordy wrote: How are you sealing that with pressure? Isn’t that selling point of espresso coffee? Otherwise would be the same as drip coffee like Kurg
Unlike the OL machines, which use up to 19-bars pressure to make espresso, a VL machine like the one in the OP does not use pressure to make espresso. It just spins the pod. The "espresso" it produces doesn't taste like the traditional espresso.

The Vertuo Line was introduced by Nespresso to compete with Keurig in the North American market where espresso drinkers are very few. The VL has from awful to zero sales in Europe and other parts of the world where people don't drink "coffee-flavoured water", aka Keurig.
Last edited by bogolisk on Feb 6th, 2021 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 25, 2020
100 posts
347 upvotes
bogolisk wrote: Unlike the OL machines, which use up to 19-bars pressure to make espresso, a VL machine like the one in the OP does not use pressure to make espresso. It just spins the pod. The "espresso" it produces doesn't taste like the traditional espresso.

The Vertuo Line was introduced by Nespresso to compete with Keurig in the North American market where espresso drinkers are very few. The VL has from awful to zero sales in Europe and other parts of the world where people don't drink coffee-flavoured water.
Stupid North Americans with their ''coffee-flavored water'' right?

Next thing you know they'll put ginger ale in their whiskey, the plebs!
Feb 18, 2015
260 posts
1244 upvotes
Toronto, ON
MichaelH30889 wrote: Keurig are way cheaper, these vertuoline pods are $3 EA and you can't buy knockoffs because the barcodes. But what I've settled on is using the vertuoline and refilling the pods using the mycap thing from Amazon, with the aeroccino milk frother. I've had a lot of coffee machines and nothing compares. I cut filter rounds out of the standard filters so they're 1 cent each.
Ohhh you're paying way too much for pods man, who is your pod guy?
Jan 28, 2017
294 posts
183 upvotes
kevi2249 wrote: Why would anyone downvotes this?! Don't like it ? Move on.
I got the Citiz&Milk on for the additional 20% off on $237 for the wife. Went with the original line so we could get 3rd party pods.
My guess is it similar to the sentiment expressed up-thread that with Vertuo (not with Original line like Inissia, etc.), you are being locked into their system, unless you take a chance on unauthorized 3-rd party refillable pods. I bought a Vertuo, but as soon as I learned I had to pay about $2.00 per pod, I returned it, box unopened. May be the best taste in the world, but for the price I'll pass. OP upvoted, just want people to be informed.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2981 posts
1584 upvotes
fredean01 wrote: Stupid North Americans with their ''coffee-flavored water'' right?

Next thing you know they'll put ginger ale in their whiskey, the plebs!
I should have written "Keurig". Keurig is "coffee-flavoured water". VL's coffee does taste good but it ain't espresso.
Nov 18, 2008
521 posts
336 upvotes
Toronto
sfayerman wrote: Someone else provided this link in a different posting so thought I’d share. I have zero experience with it yet as we are still using up genuine pods. But it is very well made and has an etched in barcode in the metal.

Stainless Steel Reusable Refillable Coffee Pod Holder Filter Set for Espresso Vertuo Capsule Pod Nespresso Vertuoline GCA1 and Delonghi ENV135 Coffee Machine, 70ML (240ML) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B086GLDYVR/ref ... UTF8&psc=1
I'm very interested in hearing your experience. I bought o e off AliExpress and cancelled after hearing about it not functioning right and breaking machines.

I ordered foil seals to reuse old capsules and still waiting for that to come in. I'm eager to find an alternative I'm running out of the genuine pods :(
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35620 posts
21676 upvotes
Center of Universe
peter330 wrote: I'm very interested in hearing your experience. I bought o e off AliExpress and cancelled after hearing about it not functioning right and breaking machines.

I ordered foil seals to reuse old capsules and still waiting for that to come in. I'm eager to find an alternative I'm running out of the genuine pods :(
I understand the need to save money, but you're paying for convenience and very good coffee sticking with Nespresso pods.
I have well over $500 worth of capsules, but it's worth it as I'm WFH and don't have the need to go for a Starbucks run during the week anymore.
Apr 1, 2016
60 posts
43 upvotes
I bought a VL machine a couple months ago, and personally can't say enough good things about it. It is leagues above a tassimo or keurig (coming from tassimo previously, and almost got the new keurig with the multi stream technology).

The nespresso coffee is really high quality from their pods. As one other said, they are $0.90-$1.12 usually, I've never seen a $2 or $3 pod. Well worth it at that price. You can get bags that let you put used pods in them and then just pop the bag into a Canada post box and sent it back to them to be properly recycled which was a nice plus. The pods are aluminum not plastic and can be properly and efficiently recycled.

I also stayed away from the stainless steel reusable pod because of what I read online. I bought the mycap system. Both the silicon lids, and the foil lids, and both are working good for me now. They took a bit of trial and error though, and I certainly get people saying "why, that's missing the point of these machines". I buy good local roasted coffee, so I wanted the option and flexibility to use that too. The VL machine brews my coffee better than a French press or pour over ever has, so it's cool to see it come out of the VL machine with Crema.

Yes, I do understand it's fake espresso, not real pressurized Crema... But honestly, for 98% of you, you'll never notice. Only the elite coffee snobs will be turned off by that, and want to spend $1000 on a great espresso machine. Don't let that deter you. The coffee is delicious.

Mycap can be time consuming and a bit messy sometimes, but I set up 10 pods or so while watching a tv show at night, it's no biggie. The nespresso coffee is worth it and delicious, and I also love the aeroccino machine to froth milk quickly for a latte during the day. So much variety.

Just wanted to chime in as a happy owner for anyone on the fence.

Feel free to ask about Mycap filling tips if you're trying it out, I did have a few fails, but seems to be working consistently now.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2006
1650 posts
642 upvotes
Winnipeg
I use this to refill my vertuo capsules. They also sell the foil stickers separately. This works well for me.

Capmesso
Lorenzo
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2981 posts
1584 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: No nespresso original fans here?
No one said no.

The OL makes way better "espresso" than the Vertuo, ainec. Nespresso OL is 5% of the effort (vs real manual espresso machine) for 95% of the taste. In the Vertuo line, Nespresso only has a few espresso capsules, because they have no competition with the user locked into their system until the next decade (when their patent will expire.) In the Original Line, with its patent long expired, Nespresso has to compete with 3rd parties. Therefore, they release many espresso capsules and they're cheaper too.

The Vertuo is meant to compete with Keurig, not for making espresso.