Hot Deals

[Bed Bath And Beyond] ZeroWater 10-Cup Pitcher Water Filtration System ($24.99)

• Last Updated:
  • May 31st, 2020 6:09 pm
Dec 11, 2007
318 posts
145 upvotes
Markham
shwab wrote: There are many studies on the adverse health effects of drinking demineralized water a long period of time. Humans have been drinking 'mineralized' water since the dawn of time, and has some key essential minerals that you would miss (magnesium, calcium) not to mention fluoridation that is scientifically proven to prevent dental caries / tooth decay.

95% of the tap water in Canada is perfectly fine to drink straight out of the tap.
I been drinking ZeroWater for over a year now. I too was worried about it removing minerals but based on my research and speaking to my doctor, there’s barely any minerals in tap water. Most of the minerals your body needs actually come from the foods you eat. Take a look at the official published analysis of Toronto’s tap water from the City of Toronto.

For example, in 1L of Toronto’s tap water, the calcium content is 36mg and magnesium content is 9.1mg. Compare that to the recommended daily intake for calcium which is around 1000mg and for magnesium is around 400mg.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
1002 posts
410 upvotes
I have been using this since January. I don't like the taste of demineralized water LOL, but it does taste better to me than plain tap water, which I hate. The filters are very easy to get at several stores. If you forget to check the water using the stick, you will start to smell fish and know it's time for the filter to go
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2011
1097 posts
300 upvotes
MARKHAM
narmak wrote: I been drinking ZeroWater for over a year now. I too was worried about it removing minerals but based on my research and speaking to my doctor, there’s barely any minerals in tap water. Most of the minerals your body needs actually come from the foods you eat. Take a look at the official published analysis of Toronto’s tap water from the City of Toronto.

For example, in 1L of Toronto’s tap water, the calcium content is 36mg and magnesium content is 9.1mg. Compare that to the recommended daily intake for calcium which is around 1000mg and for magnesium is around 400mg.
this is very true. it comes from fruits and other dietary stuff you eat on the regular.
drinking demineralized water is only harmful to the body if that is the ONLY thing you ever consume. If you eat a daily balance of fruits and veggies you'll be absolutely fine.

Zerowater tastes great and the customer-service has been prompt to replace my broken/defective units under their warrranty.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2008
1215 posts
832 upvotes
Hamilton
narmak wrote: I been drinking ZeroWater for over a year now. I too was worried about it removing minerals but based on my research and speaking to my doctor, there’s barely any minerals in tap water. Most of the minerals your body needs actually come from the foods you eat. Take a look at the official published analysis of Toronto’s tap water from the City of Toronto.

purebluejapan wrote: this is very true. it comes from fruits and other dietary stuff you eat on the regular.
drinking demineralized water is only harmful to the body if that is the ONLY thing you ever consume. If you eat a daily balance of fruits and veggies you'll be absolutely fine.

Zerowater tastes great and the customer-service has been prompt to replace my broken/defective units under their warrranty.
Here is a study published by the WHO discussing the drawbacks in and health concerns drinking demineralized water:

https://www.who.int/water_sanitation_he ... chap12.pdf
May 20, 2020
252 posts
161 upvotes
City of Toronto
vader_slri wrote: Have you tried the Longlast filter? The few reviews I’ve read say they don’t actually last very long at all which stopped me from trying them.
I am using 3 of them at the moment. The longest use filter is now less than 5 months. The first couple of 2-pack filters I bought from Amazon, started to very slowly filter after less than 4 weeks. I contacted Brita customer service, and they were aware this was happening and they told me to exchange through Amazon. Brita said that they had a new and improved version shipping out to their distributors.
Sep 3, 2006
506 posts
94 upvotes
GTA Ontario
Hi,
running on 3rd filter, having one for about 4 week, drinking a lot, and boiling water for coffee only (family of 4).
The lowest price for filter is around $12.50 per filter replacement, buying in bulk of 8.
Yes, it is not the best way of getting filtered water, but IMHO, It is reasonable.
We bought it (40 cup setup), based on our family recommendation, who has it for around 2 years. Yes, they like it very much.
We are going to buy another set (10 or 12 cups) too.

re: picture: the white part is a plastic, including the filter
the container is made of glass
the bottom part is made of metal (I think it is metal)
the glass is moving a bit, but it is usually full of water, so it is heavy.
you cannot get water from the bottom of jar, but because water goes out from filter there and water level is rising, thus at end all water is fresh and filtered
the white part of where real filter is attached, is collecting some dots of "dirt" spots; from review, these particles might be something coming out of filter; easy to clean every few days
there is a metal cover on top of this set up
Yes, I would recommend this product: it is only $45 (12 cup set, with one filter and a tester), so total is around $51. Buy it, try it and then decide to keep it or else.
Be aware of cost of filter replacement, they are not cheap, but if one will shop around, it is possible to get $12.50 + tax.
Their prices can double that amount in some places, do not know why.
There are better prices in some places, but usually no stock of them.
BBB, BestBuy, Walmart, Home Depot, Amazon.ca has them for sale.

If one use water from this system only for drinking, I think, it may last around 6 - 7 weeks (say family of 4).
Beware, these pitchers are made of plastic; our is made of glass (40 caps set), there is one made of metal, the rest is plastic.
The 40 cup set is much bigger, from what one can see on pics, IMHO it is 2/3 of green bottle one can buy from Costco: well it is 40 cups = to almost 10 liters of water.
Filtration goes slow, but reasonable. The bottle seats on a metal bottom, it moves a bit, the valve is made of plastic, one can buy a metal one replacement for around $25 if remember correctly from Amazon.
It take some space, so one must plan first before buying this one.
The smaller sets are like a water boiling pitcher, so they are practical, but again, made of plastic.

Be careful when buying filter replacement, as there are 2 types:
- one, that is 5 stage filter: for most of these sets, it has a blue seal on top of filter
- second one is for portable sets; it is a bit smaller

As to get a discount from BBB, yes it is 20%, per email account, just be creative!
Images
  • 20200523_122035.jpg
Penalty Box
May 15, 2016
5494 posts
1862 upvotes
Breton_Rex wrote: Hi,
running on 3rd filter, having one for about 4 week, drinking a lot, and boiling water for coffee only (family of 4).
The lowest price for filter is around $12.50 per filter replacement, buying in bulk of 8.
Yes, it is not the best way of getting filtered water, but IMHO, It is reasonable.
We bought it (40 cup setup), based on our family recommendation, who has it for around 2 years. Yes, they like it very much.
We are going to buy another set (10 or 12 cups) too.

re: picture: the white part is a plastic, including the filter
the container is made of glass
the bottom part is made of metal (I think it is metal)
the glass is moving a bit, but it is usually full of water, so it is heavy.
you cannot get water from the bottom of jar, but because water goes out from filter there and water level is rising, thus at end all water is fresh and filtered
the white part of where real filter is attached, is collecting some dots of "dirt" spots; from review, these particles might be something coming out of filter; easy to clean every few days
there is a metal cover on top of this set up
Yes, I would recommend this product: it is only $45 (12 cup set, with one filter and a tester), so total is around $51. Buy it, try it and then decide to keep it or else.
Be aware of cost of filter replacement, they are not cheap, but if one will shop around, it is possible to get $12.50 + tax.
Their prices can double that amount in some places, do not know why.
There are better prices in some places, but usually no stock of them.
BBB, BestBuy, Walmart, Home Depot, Amazon.ca has them for sale.

If one use water from this system only for drinking, I think, it may last around 6 - 7 weeks (say family of 4).
Beware, these pitchers are made of plastic; our is made of glass (40 caps set), there is one made of metal, the rest is plastic.
The 40 cup set is much bigger, from what one can see on pics, IMHO it is 2/3 of green bottle one can buy from Costco: well it is 40 cups = to almost 10 liters of water.
Filtration goes slow, but reasonable. The bottle seats on a metal bottom, it moves a bit, the valve is made of plastic, one can buy a metal one replacement for around $25 if remember correctly from Amazon.
It take some space, so one must plan first before buying this one.
The smaller sets are like a water boiling pitcher, so they are practical, but again, made of plastic.

Be careful when buying filter replacement, as there are 2 types:
- one, that is 5 stage filter: for most of these sets, it has a blue seal on top of filter
- second one is for portable sets; it is a bit smaller

As to get a discount from BBB, yes it is 20%, per email account, just be creative!
Hi, you wrote a lot about it but you didn't say anything about the pitcher you used? What is the brand? Or model?
Sep 2, 2007
707 posts
200 upvotes
We have well water that has around 645 ppm of dissolved solids

There constant problems with coffee pots, taps, toilets and shower heads
I bought a Zero filter because if was the only pitcher type I could find that removed dissolved solids

Most pitcher filters can only to remove chlorine or other smells. They do remove suspended particle e.g fine sand
They DO NOT remove dissolved solids

Since buying the filter two years ago I have not had any problem with appliances that use water.
Of course the rest of the stuff still has problems
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2005
1053 posts
26 upvotes
Vancouver
Does it remove micro plastics? This seems to be the latest problem with drinking water
Jan 12, 2004
596 posts
153 upvotes
I bought a similar model after doing a bunch of research. One of the best performance to price. The only major downside is people reporting an acidic or fishy taste after awhile. I do noticed a bit of an acid taste right off the bat, but not enough to bother me. My wife hates it on the other hand (she had no idea about the reviews).
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
1584 posts
1256 upvotes
vader_slri wrote: I looked into Zerowater for a bit. The good thing about their filters is that they remove lead, unlike Brita. However, according to reviews and depending what your source water is like, the filters tend to get used up quickly and sometimes start smelling like fish. The pitchers themselves are reportedly flimsy too. I ended up sticking with Brita.
brita removes lead also. what are you talking about. it doesnt remove the minerals but the body needs those minerals.
Aug 29, 2019
29 posts
119 upvotes
shwab wrote: There are many studies on the adverse health effects of drinking demineralized water a long period of time. Humans have been drinking 'mineralized' water since the dawn of time, and has some key essential minerals that you would miss (magnesium, calcium) not to mention fluoridation that is scientifically proven to prevent dental caries / tooth decay.

95% of the tap water in Canada is perfectly fine to drink straight out of the tap.
Everything you said is spot on except for the fluoridation BS, unless increased risk of cancer for males 20 and younger doesn't concern you. And how is Fluoride in water suppose to help childrens teeth when they won't even drink water 90% of the time and when they do they don't hold it in their mouth and swish it around. Fluoridated water does nothing but poison us.