Expired Hot Deals

[Bed Bath And Beyond] Zojirushi NS-TSC10 5.5 Cup Micom Rice Cooker $145.59 (with 20% off Coupon) YMMV - (no coupon $181.99)

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2020 8:16 am
Sr. Member
Oct 16, 2007
566 posts
216 upvotes
Montr
If you like rice, get it. Ive had it fr 10 years and still running strong. Makes some really good rice and the difference is noticeable with cheap rice cookers.

Even after 10 years it looks brand new.
Sr. Member
May 13, 2015
742 posts
1042 upvotes
Dartmouth, NS
I should have bought that made in japan one when it was on sale at walmart.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Jun 21, 2011
856 posts
803 upvotes
Vancouver
BillyBill wrote: I should have bought that made in japan one when it was on sale at walmart.
that was a great deal...$140
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1078 posts
516 upvotes
Toronto
iPhones are made in China and people buy those and think they’re great.

It s a Zojirushi. I’ve had mine about 5 years. Use it about twice a week. Still in perfect condition. Don’t let the manufacturing country sway you, it’s still made for a Japanese company and that’s the part that matters.
Last edited by The Canterbury Tail on Jul 11th, 2020 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 6, 2003
14110 posts
5278 upvotes
Ottawa
BillyBill wrote: I should have bought that made in japan one when it was on sale at walmart.
yeah I was looking at that deal....why do I need a new rice cooker? Now I want to try this thing
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Sr. Member
May 26, 2011
762 posts
546 upvotes
Do any of you also own Instant Pot, and how do you compare it with Zojirushi?

I have a conventional 2-cup rice cooker, my 6-qt Instant Pot makes better rice, I think maybe because I cook only 1.5 cups of uncooked rice at a time, 6qt pot gives me a plenty of space to fluff around the rice after cooking than the tiny 2-cup cooker. With IP, I've tried rice cooker mode, I didn't find any difference in texture with regular timed pressure cooking, so I pressure cook for 3 min, natural release for 15-20min, which is slightly quicker than rice cooker mode. The total time it takes to cook/ready to eat 1.5 cups of rice, IP and conventional take about same +-30 min.
Freedom mobile, airbnb, AMEX, Great Canadian Rebates (GCR), Ebates, Top Cash Back, Groupon, Livingsocial, Doordash, SkipTheDishes, Checkout 51, Drop, Stack, TransferWise, Questrade, EQ, Achieva, PayTM, Simplii and Tangerine customer.
Newbie
May 2, 2017
77 posts
97 upvotes
The Canterbury Tail wrote: iPhones are made in China and people buy those and think they’re great.
Just because iPhones are only made in China, how's that relevant to this discussion on rice cooker? Some things made in China matter, some don't, and some you don't even have a choice. Your Chinese Zojirushi is 5 years old, but in case you haven't noticed, others have Japanese Zojirushi that are 10 years old and as good as new.
Newbie
Nov 18, 2010
34 posts
4 upvotes
Any evidence that a buyer would NOT be happy with the Micom? Any anecdotes that explicitly show the observable inferiority of this unit?

I just ordered this as I happen to be in the market for a rice cooker. I don't think I'll be able to tell the difference in rice quality between this and the Japanese manufactured version. At this price point and design (I prefer this look and color,
I like the steam tray), it's a no brainer.
Member
Mar 23, 2017
466 posts
841 upvotes
Toronto
Do these make sense for a single person who would cook rice once a week?

I'd probably only be cooking a cup of dry rice at a time.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1078 posts
516 upvotes
Toronto
bliz99 wrote: Just because iPhones are only made in China, how's that relevant to this discussion on rice cooker? Some things made in China matter, some don't, and some you don't even have a choice. Your Chinese Zojirushi is 5 years old, but in case you haven't noticed, others have Japanese Zojirushi that are 10 years old and as good as new.
iPhones made in China for a reputable company and are good products. Similarly Zojirushi is a reputable Japanese company and makes some stuff in China. And I’m so sorry I don’t have a time machine to go forward in time to determine that my rice cooker is still good in the future. All I know is that mine still works perfectly as do others. China does not automatically mean something is bad and won’t last, that’s just an incredibly prejudiced opinion based on incorrect beliefs and bias. And the Japanese themselves are happy to buy these made in China units, I see them for sale in Japan all the time. So unless you have some actual evidence that everything made in China is automatically crap...
Jr. Member
Dec 20, 2018
188 posts
307 upvotes
I read this in the linked article and it really annoys me.

"What do we dislike about the NS-TSC10?

It is made in China, but the build quality is still good."

Is this worse than, "It's made in Italy, but it's pretty garbage."?

Could you imagine you bought a car made in Germany, Italy, the US and it wasn't great, but you completely forgive it because you assume it's just bad luck, whereas a similar experience with a car made in Mexico, China, India, Poland, etc. was the rule and to be expected?

Just me personally, but I'd rather buy a Toyota made in China (that meets Canadian regulations and standards) than buy a Chrysler made in the US or Italy.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Jun 21, 2011
856 posts
803 upvotes
Vancouver
twk1d wrote: Any evidence that a buyer would NOT be happy with the Micom? Any anecdotes that explicitly show the observable inferiority of this unit?

I just ordered this as I happen to be in the market for a rice cooker. I don't think I'll be able to tell the difference in rice quality between this and the Japanese manufactured version. At this price point and design (I prefer this look and color,
I like the steam tray), it's a no brainer.
The Canterbury Tail wrote:
iPhones made in China for a reputable company and are good products. Similarly Zojirushi is a reputable Japanese company and makes some stuff in China. And I’m so sorry I don’t have a time machine to go forward in time to determine that my rice cooker is still good in the future. All I know is that mine still works perfectly as do others. China does not automatically mean something is bad and won’t last, that’s just an incredibly prejudiced opinion based on incorrect beliefs and bias. And the Japanese themselves are happy to buy these made in China units, I see them for sale in Japan all the time. So unless you have some actual evidence that everything made in China is automatically crap...
anthony9 wrote: I read this in the linked article and it really annoys me.

"What do we dislike about the NS-TSC10?

It is made in China, but the build quality is still good."

Is this worse than, "It's made in Italy, but it's pretty garbage."?

Could you imagine you bought a car made in Germany, Italy, the US and it wasn't great, but you completely forgive it because you assume it's just bad luck, whereas a similar experience with a car made in Mexico, China, India, Poland, etc. was the rule and to be expected?

Just me personally, but I'd rather buy a Toyota made in China (that meets Canadian regulations and standards) than buy a Chrysler made in the US or Italy.
people quickly jump to conclusions that all "Made in China" products are not quality products (it's extremely unfortunate).

For example, top tier brands like Arc'teryx and Weber both have production lines in China, and these products that are produced are still top tier quality. Made in China does not necessary result in an inferior product, because each company can still impose a tough QC process to ensure the products coming out onto the market are to their brands' standards.

my $0.02
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
1347 posts
511 upvotes
kbytesrfd wrote: The neuro fuzzy model doesn't have a steaming basket and no cake setting .
for those two things, I'd just get an instant pot which has accessories for steaming and making cake.

these rice cookers are good for rice and *maybe* oatmeal which I've tried once or twice but it's a huge mess to clean up after so I stopped doing that. so yes, it's a specialized appliance but does a damn good job at it. I have the neuro fuzzy and rice basically never comes out mushy or burnt dry even if I don't get my water ratios quite right. so if you're particular about rice then this is your tool. also keep in mind it takes a long time to cook (~40-50 mins for 1-3 cups) but you can set a timer before you sleep or go to work and have it ready by the time you wake up or are home.
Jr. Member
User avatar
Jul 17, 2016
105 posts
8 upvotes
Calgary, AB
I replaced my Panasonic rice cooker with NS-TSC10 5.5 Cup Micom last year and from my experience, I wouldn't recommend buying this rice cooker. There is a unknown issue with this model trapping the moist after you turn off the rice cooker. This causes the rice to go bad after 9 hours. My old Panasonic had no issue leaving the rice overnight after turning it off.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1078 posts
516 upvotes
Toronto
mgmjtech wrote: I replaced my Panasonic rice cooker with NS-TSC10 5.5 Cup Micom last year and from my experience, I wouldn't recommend buying this rice cooker. There is a unknown issue with this model trapping the moist after you turn off the rice cooker. This causes the rice to go bad after 9 hours. My old Panasonic had no issue leaving the rice overnight after turning it off.
You're not supposed to turn it off once it's cooked, but leave it on and it automatically switches to Keep Warm mode. If you need it kept for longer than 12 hours, switch it to Extended Keep Warm mode once its done. If you're switching it off then there's your problem.

Top