Expired Hot Deals

[Bed Bath And Beyond] Zwilling Pro 7" Chef Knife $56

• Last Updated:
  • May 21st, 2020 9:33 pm
Sep 30, 2019
6 posts
3 upvotes
chagel wrote: I sharpen knives as a business.

This is bad advice.

Pull through sharpeners are so very limited on what they do and so often I find it completely messes up the blade shape. Especially with Henkels where they have a full bolster all the way to the edge, and the whole knife isn't able to fit in the sharpener. Eventually (even if you don't have bolster clearance issues) you'll come to find it creates curves where your edge should be flat.
Pull through knife sharpeners do more harm than good, and it's so much cheaper to just have someone touch up your knives from time to time. Usually about $5-$10 per knife and it'll be like new.
just to be clear, the zwilling pro does not have a full bolster

it is angled, and has no heel like the wusthof classic. the angled design actually has a beautiful feel in the fingers and allows for a very comfortable grip.

the pro is a significantly heavier blade than the wusthof, and depending on your preference, may promote the rocking that some people like when chopping vegetables.
Jun 9, 2015
811 posts
694 upvotes
Toronto, ON
milan2552 wrote: I cook a lot and have tried a variety of knives (Victorinox, Henckels Four Star, Global, etc). Honestly if you are not a pro cook, any of these options will be good. I prefer to spend less on a lightweight blade, so my recommendation would be the Victorinox. My most used knife is actually the Mercer Usuba knife. The shape is perfect for veggies, it's lightweight, and comes sharp. At $25 right now it's a no brainer for a beginner knife. You can (and will) upgrade later, and there's no point spending hundreds of dollars before you know what you like. Better to buy a cheaper knife and a whetstone and perfect your sharpening skill. Anyways, here's the link for the Mercer.. I think the Victorinox was linked earlier in the thread.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000PS2XKW/
The price looks great for the Mercer. But for noobs, isn't sharpening a single beveled knife more of a challenge?
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2009
1099 posts
214 upvotes
Toronto
Proxism wrote: Wow that blows. I was waiting the 24h to for the promo e-mail while checking over some reviews. Was worried that Monday would kill the deal. Would really help if they told us when the sale ends. They just missed out on a few sales.
I'm asking live chat about honouring sale price. I'm 232 in queue; will update later.
EDIT: I spoke with chat and provided the 3 screenshots in this thread as proof of sale. They honored the $69.99 price but no coupon would be applied. I am thrilled anyways because it's still a great price.
Thanks for the update. I tried once and had no luck. I'll try again. Could you pm me what you asked specifically and what you provided?

Really appreciate it.
lenny = white
carl = black
Oct 16, 2010
299 posts
694 upvotes
Jeroyds wrote: Thanks for the update. I tried once and had no luck. I'll try again. Could you pm me what you asked specifically and what you provided?

Really appreciate it.
I told chat I was waiting 24h for the newsletter subscription promotional e-mail before ordering the knife, but the sale abruptly ended. I asked if they would honour the original sale price of $69.99 and provided a screenshot from the OP for $69.99. However, that screenshot doesn't have enough info so they asked me to prove that it's BBB Canada and I submited the 2 screenshots later in this thread. Chat confirmed with their supervisor and authorized the price adjustment, provided a reference number, and instructed me to order over the phone. I then ordered on the phone and I told them I was trying to order online earlier but the sale ended; gave them the reference number. After providing CC, they sent me the confirmation by e-mail. Funny enough... 30m after ordering I got the 20% code. Didn't matter I guess because chat said they would not apply the discount code; perhaps you could just try to ask the phone rep when ordering. I'll attach my confirmation: date, price, price over-ride, .ca BBB site (GST/HST), sku etc.
Images
  • Zwilling Pro 7in May18.PNG
  • Zwilling Pro 7in May 18 t1.png
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2009
1099 posts
214 upvotes
Toronto
Proxism wrote: I told chat I was waiting 24h for the newsletter subscription promotional e-mail before ordering the knife, but the sale abruptly ended. I asked if they would honour the original sale price of $69.99 and provided a screenshot from the OP for $69.99. However, that screenshot doesn't have enough info so they asked me to prove that it's BBB Canada and I submited the 2 screenshots later in this thread. Chat confirmed with their supervisor and authorized the price adjustment, provided a reference number, and instructed me to order over the phone. I then ordered on the phone and I told them I was trying to order online earlier but the sale ended; gave them the reference number. After providing CC, they sent me the confirmation by e-mail. Funny enough... 30m after ordering I got the 20% code. Didn't matter I guess because chat said they would not apply the discount code; perhaps you could just try to ask the phone rep when ordering. I'll attach my confirmation: date, price, price over-ride, .ca BBB site (GST/HST), sku etc.
Thanks, I was successful on my 2nd attempt with multiple screenshots.

They said to place the order online and they will adjust it - I placed the order with the 20% off of the original price, so I'll see if they apply that on the adjustment. If not, I'm happy with $69.99.
lenny = white
carl = black
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
9534 posts
5269 upvotes
It's about convenience and 'good enough'...

(They do 'get the job done')

It's for people who just want to get the job done...the knife is just a tool.

Does it give you the best edge, no. Does it get the knife sharp enough, very likely. Can it split hair, no. Do you care the knife isn't lasting as long, probably not (for the general population). Can a professional sharpening service do a better job? One would expect so. Is it a hassle to drive to the business / store? Depends, how far is that.

Some people have occupational biases.
Dec 10, 2007
70 posts
104 upvotes
Winnipeg
Lampsy wrote: The price looks great for the Mercer. But for noobs, isn't sharpening a single beveled knife more of a challenge?
The mercer is a double edge blade.
Jun 9, 2015
811 posts
694 upvotes
Toronto, ON
milan2552 wrote: The mercer is a double edge blade.
The link was to the usuba. Aren't they all single edge? That's the key difference between it and a Nakiri, no?
Mar 9, 2020
2 posts
2 upvotes
chatbox wrote: It's about convenience and 'good enough'...

(They do 'get the job done')

It's for people who just want to get the job done...the knife is just a tool.

Does it give you the best edge, no. Does it get the knife sharp enough, very likely. Can it split hair, no. Do you care the knife isn't lasting as long, probably not (for the general population). Can a professional sharpening service do a better job? One would expect so. Is it a hassle to drive to the business / store? Depends, how far is that.

Some people have occupational biases.
Lol @ occupational bias.
Just pointing out something I see very very often. I hope that if I made bad advice that went against what you know to be 100% true, occupation or not, you'd try to educate why it's not a good idea.

You're right, the knife is a tool. But no matter if you're a professional or someone that barely cooks a manual pull through sharpener (even including some electric models) can and will damage a blade over time, and absolutely has the potential to hurt someone when they can't cut their food properly.
I'm not dropping my business here, so there's nothing in it for me. There's some great posts here giving info on a good way to get started properly sharpening your blade, but a manual pull through ain't it.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2009
1099 posts
214 upvotes
Toronto
Proxism wrote: I told chat I was waiting 24h for the newsletter subscription promotional e-mail before ordering the knife, but the sale abruptly ended. I asked if they would honour the original sale price of $69.99 and provided a screenshot from the OP for $69.99. However, that screenshot doesn't have enough info so they asked me to prove that it's BBB Canada and I submited the 2 screenshots later in this thread. Chat confirmed with their supervisor and authorized the price adjustment, provided a reference number, and instructed me to order over the phone. I then ordered on the phone and I told them I was trying to order online earlier but the sale ended; gave them the reference number. After providing CC, they sent me the confirmation by e-mail. Funny enough... 30m after ordering I got the 20% code. Didn't matter I guess because chat said they would not apply the discount code; perhaps you could just try to ask the phone rep when ordering. I'll attach my confirmation: date, price, price over-ride, .ca BBB site (GST/HST), sku etc.
My order was cancelled claiming it's out of stock, yet it's showing as in stock on the website? Did yours ship?
lenny = white
carl = black
Jan 11, 2010
692 posts
98 upvotes
milan2552 wrote: The mercer is a double edge blade.
Lampsy wrote: The link was to the usuba. Aren't they all single edge? That's the key difference between it and a Nakiri, no?
was gonna get the usuba linked if it was in stock but I am curious on confirmation on this as well now.
Oct 16, 2010
299 posts
694 upvotes
Jeroyds wrote: My order was cancelled claiming it's out of stock, yet it's showing as in stock on the website? Did yours ship?
Delivered yesterday
Dec 10, 2007
70 posts
104 upvotes
Winnipeg
icecoal wrote: was gonna get the usuba linked if it was in stock but I am curious on confirmation on this as well now.
It is labelled as an Usuba on Amazon, but it is fact a Nakiri knife. Model number M22907 in Mercer's Catalogue. Both of the knives in my drawer are double edge.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2009
1099 posts
214 upvotes
Toronto
Proxism wrote: Delivered yesterday
Thanks. Another inquiry to customer service and the replaced the order at the sale price. Hopefully it comes through this time.
lenny = white
carl = black