• Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2021 2:11 pm
[OP]
Jan 29, 2017
170 posts
138 upvotes
Mississauga, ON

Bed Frames for Larger People

I apologize if this doesn't belong here, but I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction of a sturdy bedframe, Queen size, for larger people. Both hubby and I are a little hefty and our current frame isn't doing the job anymore. I want to replace mattress but that's money we don't have at the moment. Plus, I'd just like to get a new frame. Either way, we need a new mattress and I'd also like a new frame. I've been reading up on the best ones for our size, but reviews only take you so far. So I'm hoping that some of our lovely RFD'ers have some advice on which frames work best for you.

At this time, we have a pillow top mattress (will be replacing that as soon as we can afford it), and a box spring. I'd also like there to be enough room for storage (and our pets during a rainstorm) underneath, so if I have to climb into bed, I don't mind.

Thank you in advance.
12 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1993 posts
1723 upvotes
GTA
What is your main concern with the bedframes? Do they move, do they make noises, etc...

A lot of bedframes are just cheaply made, even the ones that are really expensive. For the most part when I build a bed frame I use ash as the structural members and I'm pretty sure it would survive if the house collapsed on top of it, but I digress.

The main issues with most bedframes come from softwood slats the span really far unsupported, and then if your bed is moving a bit its likely corner brackets or something. Both of these things you could look at addressing on your main bedframe if you are happy with the looks.

Replacing softwood slats with hardwood, adding more supports along the span, or changing out to better hardware to stop movement or creaking are all cheap and easy fixes.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2760 posts
1313 upvotes
Toronto
Could the frame just be reinforced somehow? Even if it's those cheaper metal ones does anybody know if there is an easy way to add some extra wood or metal to reinforce them? I'm wondering if taking a block of wood and putting it under the frame (on both sides) along the length of the bed. As in, prop up the frame so that it doesn't bend or buckle. I'm sure it doesn't hurt but I don't know if there are better ways to do this.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
[OP]
Jan 29, 2017
170 posts
138 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Our frame is a basic metal queen - four legs with wheels, slat in the middle with no support at all. I was looking at all metal slats with a - bunkie board? I think they call it - as additional support. I have back issues, plus at the age I'm at, a change is gonna be coming soon and I'm already a crappy sleeper.

It basically looks like this

Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25131 posts
2302 upvotes
Markham, ON
Angellz wrote: Our frame is a basic metal queen - four legs with wheels, slat in the middle with no support at all. I was looking at all metal slats with a - bunkie board? I think they call it - as additional support. I have back issues, plus at the age I'm at, a change is gonna be coming soon and I'm already a crappy sleeper.

based on the frame you're using...i assume you're using a box spring which doesnt require a board.
You many need a firmer top mattress with more springs (i.e. 1k+ pocket springs). Slate bottoms are generally used for low platform designs and designed to eliminate the box spring.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22774 posts
21610 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Looks like you are already on the right track …
Using a metal bed frame vs a whole wood bed with rails & slats (as described by @SubjectivelyObjective in Reply # 2 )

You could beef up the metal frame by adding some plywood
But honestly based on your OP it seems to me the issue is less about the bed frame and more about your Mattress & Box Spring

If your mattress is wearing out … then that’s the support that lacking for your back
Not the bed frame

Well made Metal bed frames can solidly support a lot of weight
Easily I would say 500+ Lbs
Bed frames are relatively cheap to replace … vs the whole bed
So ya, you could start there by buying one that’s better constructed

But in the long run … it’s your Mattress & Box Spring that do all the work
That is what you need to be focussing on

EDIT / ADD …
1- Pillow top mattresses wear out faster than flat tops. Buy a flat top & just add your own topper
2- No flip mattresses wear out faster than old style flipable mattresses. More work but wear more evenly. Which prevents sagging and “the body indentation” issue
3- Foam mattresses wear out faster than traditional pocket coil mattresses … with metal coils. Coils are also more supportive for heavier folks than foam
4- If the change is coming … look for more natural products that will breathe. Foam is not your friend.
Jan 23, 2017
88 posts
51 upvotes
GTA
I don't have much to add in terms of bed frame recommendations but one temporary thing you can try is not using your metal bedframe at all while you are looking for solutions. Just put the boxspring on the floor and mattress on top. Not sure if that causes any issues other than the bed is lower to the floor but we've done this for several years and actually don't find a need to spend $$ on an elaborate bedframe. The floor is rock solid and has plenty of support Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29039 posts
14587 upvotes
For being made from pressboard and a prayer I'm really surprised that my Ikea bedframe has held up as well as it does.

I'm rotund myself and I've jumped on the bed (had to reach for something), done other activities with people(s), slept on occasion, and it's basically perfect still.
No collapsing, no squeaks, nothing falling apart.

More than a $20 metal frame though.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
19071 posts
17397 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
Jumping in here....our bed squeaks way too much. New bed, the old one never squeaked. Has nothing to do with weight. I will need to reinforc eit somehow.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7691 posts
5126 upvotes
Victoria, BC
JayLove06 wrote: Jumping in here....our bed squeaks way too much. New bed, the old one never squeaked. Has nothing to do with weight. I will need to reinforc eit somehow.
Sadly our bed doesn't squeak enough for my liking - also nothing to do with weight lol.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1332 posts
902 upvotes
London, On
Angellz wrote: Our frame is a basic metal queen - four legs with wheels, slat in the middle with no support at all. I was looking at all metal slats with a - bunkie board? I think they call it - as additional support. I have back issues, plus at the age I'm at, a change is gonna be coming soon and I'm already a crappy sleeper.

The picture is of a heavier duty bedframe with support in the middle. This is the type we have, except ours have feet instead of wheels. No issues with support with that. Does yours have the feet in the middle like the pic (6 feet on the floor, not just 4)? If not, then that's a relatively cheap purchase of 100-150 bucks, depending on where you look. The Brick has a large selection of styles, as will most other furniture retailers.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2010
1721 posts
1151 upvotes
Toronto
What OP is looking is a Knickerbocker brand bed frame.

For the last 8 years we being using the embrace model on king size and is an amazing heavy duty bed frame (+2000 lbs weight capacity). We got ours at the bay or Sears can not remember exactly the store. Check it out.

Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22774 posts
21610 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
ToDealHunter wrote: What OP is looking is a Knickerbocker brand bed frame.

For the last 8 years we being using the embrace model on king size and is an amazing heavy duty bed frame (+2000 lbs weight capacity). We got ours at the bay or Sears can not remember exactly the store. Check it out.

Interesting … thanks for the share

Looks like this product is available via The Bay, or Amazon.ca