• Last Updated:
  • May 13th, 2020 9:36 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2004
3721 posts
213 upvotes

bedding sand confusion for paver stones

I am researching on the products I need to buy for setting up a paver patio in my backyard.

For the bedding sand, is the correct sand to buy called concrete sand? I could not find many stores that carry it.

At Home Depot, I believe this will work based on the description
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/sakret ... 1000109081

This one is not the right one if I am correct, but some guy in the review said he used it underneath his pavers (confused)
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/sakret ... 1000109251

Anyone do a paver patio recently? What sand did you use for bedding?
12 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3647 posts
2597 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
You could use either, really. I believe there may be a slight difference in the grain size, or a blend of beach and sharp sand.
I would get the one "Sand Mix", not the multi purpose, since it specifies bedding mix.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2385 posts
338 upvotes
North York
What type of pavers?

You likely want what is commonly referred to as brick sand. It has sharp edges and is also used in concrete mixes. (Play/beach sand has round edges and isn't good for this type of use)

Your first link is best for flagstone and the like, as it contains cement in the mix.

The second is better for patio stones or interlock.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3647 posts
2597 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
cliff wrote: What type of pavers?

You likely want what is commonly referred to as brick sand. It has sharp edges and is also used in concrete mixes. (Play/beach sand has round edges and isn't good for this type of use)

Your first link is best for flagstone and the like, as it contains cement in the mix.

Whoops, you are correct. I should have picked up on "corrosive" warning. Definitely want just sharp sand!
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3171 posts
2137 upvotes
Toronto
Under the paving stones typically you use limestone screening.

About 8-12" of granular A gravel leveled and compacted.

Then a couple inches of limestone screening. In the few jobs I've done around my place I compacted the limestone first, then installed the stones with some loose screening as needed to fine tune each stone. Just loosened the top layer by scrubbing it with my gloved hand a bit. Then I run the compactor over the installed stones.

Lots of people install on the screening without compacting first.

Then you use polymeric jointing sand swept over top of the stones into the gaps between them to lock them together and block plants from growing up between the stones.

Did my backyard 15+ years ago and it's still level and solid as a rock.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3171 posts
2137 upvotes
Toronto
Is this for paving stones or the large 24 x 24" sidewalk pavers?
Dec 25, 2006
572 posts
454 upvotes
Ottawa
Use stone dust or limestone underneath. Make sure you wet and compact every 3 inches or so. Also...do NOT use any of the polymeric sand that you can find at Home Depot or Lowes etc...it is complete garbage. It will wash away quickly. Use G2 polymeric. It is far superior to anything you will find at the big box stores. My brother owns his own landscaping business, and G2 is all that they will use:

http://blog.tlcsupply.com/g2-polymeric-sand/
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12130 posts
7010 upvotes
Markham

I want to relay some interlock which has settled and not flat anymore. Can I use the first one which is Sakrete Sand Mix? Similar to Concrete Sand?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3171 posts
2137 upvotes
Toronto
gr8dlr wrote: I want to relay some interlock which has settled and not flat anymore. Can I use the first one which is Sakrete Sand Mix? Similar to Concrete Sand?
There are no rules - any sort of sand will work to fill a void, but why wouldn't you use what's currently under the stones? Lift one up and have a look.

If you're not sure what it is then toss some in a container and take it to an aggregate yard (i.e. not Home Depot) and buy some. Take a 5 gallon pail with you and a $10 bill and see what happens.

This place (quick Google) seems to sell all sorts of stuff in bags ready to go.

https://www.greenridgelandscapedepot.ca ... oil-1.html

But 90% it is limestone screening.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2004
3721 posts
213 upvotes

What happens if I used the sand in the first link for non-flagstone like patio stones? Overbuilt?
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2385 posts
338 upvotes
North York
awestruck wrote: What happens if I used the sand in the first link for non-flagstone like patio stones? Overbuilt?
You aren't going to be able to adjust them once it sets - that's either a good or a bad thing.

... and whomever tries to remove or re-level part of it in the future is going to curse you for using it when it's not needed.