Home & Garden

Bedroom breaker fuse plug not working..help!

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 23rd, 2016 10:51 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2010
1432 posts
352 upvotes

Bedroom breaker fuse plug not working..help!

Hi everybody, I wanted to ask the handy electricians about getting the correct breaker. My breaker that connects to all the bedroom stopped working since I plugged in a portable heater in the second bedroom. First one was on in the other bedroom.

Anyways, I tried to reset it...nothing happened...n then waited 3 hours where it was in the off position. And flipped it on..nothing. So it looks like I will need to buy a new breaker n hire an electrician to replace.

My question is what is the correct breaker to buy. This is meant for the bedrooms. I see on the breaker it says Branch/Feeder type AFCI Type BRAF Made by EATON Cutler Hammer. Can anybody provide a link to the correct one to purchase? ? Thanks.
16 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1903 posts
1189 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
Did you actually turn the breaker off then on again, as opposed to just looking at it and assuming it was in the off position? Most, if not all breakers have a middle detent setting it goes to when it is tripped as opposed to going to full off.
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Inklings & Clues accumulated'"
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2010
1432 posts
352 upvotes
I flipped the bedriom breaker to the off position n then the on position. In the past, when it tripped I would wait an hour till it cooled down n then flip it on and all was well. This time it doesn't turn on for the bedrooms.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
3781 posts
1801 upvotes
Did you unplug the second heater?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2010
1432 posts
352 upvotes
Every item in all the bedrooms was unplugged..alarm clock, TV pvr, tvs..including the heaters. But still didn't work.
Apr 21, 2015
74 posts
6 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
take a photo and go to home depot. afci expensive $80??

if you have a friend who knows what they are doing let them help you replace. One screw and pop in new one :) takes 2minutes
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2007
1030 posts
102 upvotes
Do you have an electric tester pen? Follow the wire away from panel and see if there is voltage/current on the wire when the breaker is in the ON position.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6419 posts
1995 upvotes
GTA
Too itchy wrote: Anyways, I tried to reset it...nothing happened...n then waited 3 hours where it was in the off position. And flipped it on..nothing. So it looks like I will need to buy a new breaker n hire an electrician to replace.

My question is what is the correct breaker to buy. This is meant for the bedrooms. I see on the breaker it says Branch/Feeder type AFCI Type BRAF Made by EATON Cutler Hammer. Can anybody provide a link to the correct one to purchase? ? Thanks.
Let the electrician pick it up, its going to be the same breaker you spec'd but he will check a few other things before swapping it out. Right away he will check if there is power out from the breaker when on etc.
Breakers aren't returnable by homeowners when purchased at Lowes/HD so don't buy it.
Mar 3, 2013
516 posts
263 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
TomCruise wrote: take a photo and go to home depot. afci expensive $80??

if you have a friend who knows what they are doing let them help you replace. One screw and pop in new one :) takes 2minutes
Also takes two minutes to burn the entire family in a house fire. Please stop giving people this kind of advice. Panel work is no joke.
A Licensed Electrical Contractor
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2010
1432 posts
352 upvotes
Thanks everybody. I think I will use an electrician to get this fixed.
Apr 21, 2015
74 posts
6 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
MrSparky wrote: Also takes two minutes to burn the entire family in a house fire. Please stop giving people this kind of advice. Panel work is no joke.
I totally agree with you - that's why I said get a friend "who knows what they are doing" Electricity can be very dangerous if you don't play safe.

ESA allows Home owners to work on their own electrical stuff (permits required sometimes) so the OP is not doing anything wrong.

Sure it may take work away from Electricians - but let's give the guy truthful advice ;)

From the ESA website: "Homeowners and occupants* of a home in Ontario can do their own electrical work. That comes with responsibilities and risks. If you choose to do the work yourself, ensure it is done according to the Ontario Electrical Safety Code. "

to the OP - fact - Not everything needs a permit - i.e. changing out a switch or a light fixture. I'm not sure about swapping a breaker? I doubt Electricians pull a permit for that repair. Try calling ESA to see what's legal :)

Don't be afraid to tackle it yourself with some guidance!!
Apr 30, 2004
270 posts
76 upvotes
Do not know how handy you are. Easy job for most.
I would buy a 15A breaker and install it myself. Only 1 wire connected to it. Disconnect a main switch prior. Heater must have a dedicated breaker or try not to plug in anything else in that bedroom .
Usually questions like that have answers about fire, insurance, etc.
Minimal common sense is alway helpfull...
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2379 posts
848 upvotes
Mississauga
TomCruise wrote:
MrSparky wrote: Also takes two minutes to burn the entire family in a house fire. Please stop giving people this kind of advice. Panel work is no joke.
I totally agree with you - that's why I said get a friend "who knows what they are doing" Electricity can be very dangerous if you don't play safe.

ESA allows Home owners to work on their own electrical stuff (permits required sometimes) so the OP is not doing anything wrong.

Sure it may take work away from Electricians - but let's give the guy truthful advice ;)

From the ESA website: "Homeowners and occupants* of a home in Ontario can do their own electrical work. That comes with responsibilities and risks. If you choose to do the work yourself, ensure it is done according to the Ontario Electrical Safety Code. "

to the OP - fact - Not everything needs a permit - i.e. changing out a switch or a light fixture. I'm not sure about swapping a breaker? I doubt Electricians pull a permit for that repair. Try calling ESA to see what's legal :)

Don't be afraid to tackle it yourself with some guidance!!
While a home owner does not need inspection for some light switches and light fixtures. Receptacles and utilization equipment(circuit breakers) need one. The homeowner also can't ask a friend to who resides somewhere else of help.
https://www.esasafe.com/assets/files/es ... 2-3-15.pdf
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6419 posts
1995 upvotes
GTA
Naz wrote: Do not know how handy you are. Easy job for most.
I would buy a 15A breaker and install it myself. Only 1 wire connected to it. Disconnect a main switch prior.
He shouldn't just throw parts at the issue until its resolved; as I posted earlier breakers aren't returnable. At very least the breaker should be moved to fully off...then on...check if there is power at the wire leaving the breaker.
With no voltage tester I suppose 2 breakers could be swapped around on the panel, see if that bedroom circuit works with the known good breaker. Doesn't sound like something the OP should be doing.
OP should check what the 2 heaters are rated at before plugging them in again. Also Op-you're in Whitby?....check if builders electrician installed AFCI outlets on the circuit that has that breaker.