• Last Updated:
  • Apr 28th, 2014 10:22 am
[OP]
Apr 25, 2014
4 posts
Thornhill, ON

Bedrooms # or Masterroom size? 1st Time Buyer

Hello,

I just bought a new home in Aurora. It comes with 3 bed and 2.5 baths.

There's an option to mAke it 2 bedroom and this increases the master bedroom by 5 ft length (no change in W) and also increase the size of the ensuite.

Is this ok for resale in the future? Or would it hurt me?

Help appreciated so much. Just an average confused 1st Time Buyer.
26 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1286 posts
355 upvotes
3 bed houses will attract a larger pool of buyers than a 2 bed. Personally I would leave it as a 3 bed.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12811 posts
2915 upvotes
Toronto
^Yup. Unless you plan to stay there till the end, not care about the final price when you pass it on.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2007
4200 posts
1348 upvotes
QC
Keep 3. If possible buyer is interested to convert, he'll do the reno.

1st year hurts the wallet.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
21154 posts
7536 upvotes
Toronto
When I bought my place, I wanted a big house with not too many bedrooms, so that the bedrooms there would be quite big.

However, any 2 bedroom house would have been immediately taken off my list. I wanted at least 3. I think you'll find the sweet spot is 3-4 in an average home. If you're not talking about a humungous home, 5 bedrooms means all the rooms are really small and not desireable, but 2 bedrooms is too limiting.

The other question is how big is your master? If it's a tiny one then it could also be an issue, and if you want to live there a while, it could get really annoying. However, if it's a "decent" size, then just keep it as is.
Apr 26, 2014
1 posts
1 upvote
Thornhill, ON
By any chance is this the St. Johns Project by Mattamy? I looked at these as a possible investment property for me. This is what I think but in the end your happiness is the most important thing.

1. Like everyone has said in the thread, 3 beds gives you a lager pool for resale in the future. Although single or couples without children are interested in 2 bedroom home, I found in the past that they are often not home buyers but renters. People who often buy homes even single and couples without children want an extra room for guest and an extra room for office or storage. Renters just don't come with as much property as buyers.
2. IF it is the St. John's project, i know they have 2 bedroom models as well but I believe they are $20,000.00 cheaper. The master bedroom and the en-suite better be incredible to differentiate and worth the difference or you may be in big trouble.
3. When I'm looking at property for investing as a rental home, i look for minimum 3 bedroom. I know some have argued that with the aging population downsizing there home they prefer the 2 bedroom but my parents downsized and they ended up choosing a condo that offered them more amenities. Despite the condo fees, it still significant difference in home prices. Also for this argument, i' guessing your property is a townhouse. Old people don't like stairs lol.

But good question posted by EugW. How small is the master? Is it a liveable space? I know the master bedroom and en-suite are also important consideration in home resale. If you feel it is not a liveable space, i'm sue future buyers will think the same.

In the end this is your 1st home do as you wish but never lose track of the ability to resale. I'm guessing you don't plan to be in it forever. 1st home always starts somewhere.

Good luck and congratulations.

Raj
Sep 20, 2013
433 posts
116 upvotes
GTA
If you want bigger room sizes then it is always advisable to convert 4 bedrooms into 3 rather than 3 bedrooms into 2. The second option will not only reduce the resale price very substantialy but also severely restrict the prospective market.
Sorry....yesterday was the deadline for all complaints.
[OP]
Apr 25, 2014
4 posts
Thornhill, ON
Thank you everyone for their reply.

Yes it is the St. John's project by Mattamy. However not a townhouse. It's the Village Home, doesn't have backyard. Only thing in my price range I can afford. Will this change the opinion from 2 or 3 bedroom?

This is the current specs:

1) Master: 10x11
2) BR#2. 10x9
3) BR#3. 9"4 x10

If it is changed to 2 bedroom:
1) Master: 15"7 x 11
2) BR#2. 9 x 12"4
3) bigger en-suite w/ double sinks.

Thank you again for your help.
Aug 20, 2011
699 posts
34 upvotes
Markham
Def 3 bedroom for better resale.

WOW those are small bedrooms, the master of the 3 bdrm plan is my smallest room.

Post pics of the floor plan & check out re-sale houses in the area & see how they are on the market for
Sep 20, 2013
433 posts
116 upvotes
GTA
Bobo1983 wrote:

2) BR#2. 10x9
3) BR#3. 9"4 x10

2) BR#2. 9 x 12"4

Option 1 for resale (if you are not going to live there for long)

Option 2 if you are going to live there for long.
Sorry....yesterday was the deadline for all complaints.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
3307 posts
1916 upvotes
Mississauga
Bobo1983 wrote: Thank you everyone for their reply.

Yes it is the St. John's project by Mattamy. However not a townhouse. It's the Village Home, doesn't have backyard. Only thing in my price range I can afford. Will this change the opinion from 2 or 3 bedroom?

2) BR#2. 10x9
3) BR#3. 9"4 x10

2) BR#2. 9 x 12"4

those are really small rooms (3 bedroom set up); like others have said - if this is the forever home (or at least for the next 10 years) - go with the 2 bedroom (even if you have one or even 2 children, you could make it work)

3 bedroom - for resale <10 years occupation

whats the sq footage of the house - detached or semi? can you provide the house floor plan pics? Based on the room size, really surprised that its not a townhouse
[OP]
Apr 25, 2014
4 posts
Thornhill, ON
Sorry. It is a Townhouse. However not a traditional town but they call it a Village Home because unlike a traditional town there is no backyard. It's almost like the new stacked towns that they are building in Toronto. I'll post the floor plans once I can get on a laptop.

Thank you
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7698 posts
793 upvotes
North York
Is there a way to make the master bedroom larger without eliminating the 3rd bedroom? Like moving closet, making hallway shorter?

Taking away one of the bedroom also takes away the option of a perspective home buyer of a home office, along with guest/child's room.
[OP]
Apr 25, 2014
4 posts
Thornhill, ON
mau_mau wrote: those are really small rooms (3 bedroom set up); like others have said - if this is the forever home (or at least for the next 10 years) - go with the 2 bedroom (even if you have one or even 2 children, you could make it work)

3 bedroom - for resale <10 years occupation

whats the sq footage of the house - detached or semi? can you provide the house floor plan pics? Based on the room size, really surprised that its not a townhouse

Don't know if this would help, but this is the link to the actual builders drawings:

http://www.mattamyhomes.com/GTA/Communi ... ansley.pdf
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5741 posts
3570 upvotes
In general Going from 3 to 2 bedrooms will hurt resale. Same with going from 4 to 3.

Not much diff between 4-5. I think 4 is the sweet spot in a SFH.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7698 posts
793 upvotes
North York
Bobo1983 wrote: Don't know if this would help, but this is the link to the actual builders drawings:

http://www.mattamyhomes.com/GTA/Communi ... ansley.pdf
I would consider moving the quiet wall between the master and 2nd bedroom so that it is flush with the end of the shower. It looks like it will make the master larger by 2 feet(?). Also move the master doorway up the same distance.

In the 2nd bedroom, we drop the pretense of a bedroom. It becomes an office/guest room/baby room. Take out the closet and the window bench, eliminate the dividing wall between the closet and window bench. In the 2nd bedroom, replace the swing door with a pocket door. This should help give back some of the lost space of moving the wall over.

In the master, that linen closet with the wall moved over ... interesting options.
1) Make that a full closet or wider linen closet.
2) Leave that space open to put in custom drawers and storage, so you don't need a dresser in the room. (more space in MBR).
3) Enlarge the shower to make it a hotel sized rectangular shower stall, with full glass wall/door - really luxurious option.

Pocket door for MBR bathroom - especially if doing the larger shower - really shows off that enlarged shower (with nice wall tiles in there).

Have fun!
Jan 11, 2008
645 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
Busybuyer888 wrote: I would consider moving the quiet wall between the master and 2nd bedroom so that it is flush with the end of the shower. It looks like it will make the master larger by 2 feet(?). Also move the master doorway up the same distance.

In the 2nd bedroom, we drop the pretense of a bedroom. It becomes an office/guest room/baby room. Take out the closet and the window bench, eliminate the dividing wall between the closet and window bench. In the 2nd bedroom, replace the swing door with a pocket door. This should help give back some of the lost space of moving the wall over.

In the master, that linen closet with the wall moved over ... interesting options.
1) Make that a full closet or wider linen closet.
2) Leave that space open to put in custom drawers and storage, so you don't need a dresser in the room. (more space in MBR).
3) Enlarge the shower to make it a hotel sized rectangular shower stall, with full glass wall/door - really luxurious option.

Pocket door for MBR bathroom - especially if doing the larger shower - really shows off that enlarged shower (with nice wall tiles in there).

Have fun!
I'd personally wouldn't consider tweaking the design, especially since the OP is a first-time buyer, and a lot of builders will charge more having to redesign stuff from their original plans. For a townhouse, I don't think it's worth that kind of money or effort.

Keep the 3 bedrooms.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7698 posts
793 upvotes
North York
GapBoyPCS wrote: I'd personally wouldn't consider tweaking the design, especially since the OP is a first-time buyer, and a lot of builders will charge more having to redesign stuff from their original plans. For a townhouse, I don't think it's worth that kind of money or effort.

Keep the 3 bedrooms.
These are good points too.

It is just, I love tweaking and renovating older homes to their best potential.

OP ... explore my ideas with the builder ... the moving wall, doorway , dropping closet and window bench should be pretty simple - no extra work ... the pocket doors are going to be extra cost for sure. See what they are willing to do for you and what you can afford.

Now that double shower stall (if it is something you want) ... it may cost a pretty penny if they do it. I would suggest, ask them to rough-in as a double shower stall, and you will get someone to finish it (tiles, glass). I just know, if done properly, would be beautiful upgrade and if you were to make the master 2 feet larger ... there would be ZERO issues with the MBR. (MBR is 2nd after kitchen as what sells a house ... IMO).

Making it the 2nd floor 2+1 is a smart alternative.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
21154 posts
7536 upvotes
Toronto
GTAian wrote: Option 1 for resale (if you are not going to live there for long)

Option 2 if you are going to live there for long.
Yeah, it's a tough one.

A 10x11 master is really small. No bigger than many lower-priced downtown Toronto 2-bedroom condo masters in fact. Even a Queen sized bed would make the room feel small, although it's easily doable. A King is not a viable option however.

Option 2 would give the option of a King bed and some other furniture.

For me, I'd actually take option 2, esp. if it's cheaper, resale be damned. Well, I would if I planned on living there more than 5 years.

Not worth it to consider tweaking the design most likely. Not sure if they'd allow it, but if they did, it'd probably cost a LOT.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9684 posts
1143 upvotes
Agree. 10x11 master room is really small. I assume that excludes the ensuite square footage, right ? Anyway, 10x11 will either not fitting a king size bed or a king size bed without other furniture in the room !

EugW wrote: Yeah, it's a tough one.

A 10x11 master is really small. No bigger than many lower-priced downtown Toronto 2-bedroom condo masters in fact. Even a Queen sized bed would make the room feel small, although it's easily doable. A King is not a viable option however.

Option 2 would give the option of a King bed and some other furniture.

For me, I'd actually take option 2, esp. if it's cheaper, resale be damned. Well, I would if I planned on living there more than 5 years.

Not worth it to consider tweaking the design most likely. Not sure if they'd allow it, but if they did, it'd probably cost a LOT.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)