Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 7, 2010
486 posts
23 upvotes
Brampton

Bee Control Help

Hey Guys, I am looking to take the attack to the bee's this year instead of waiting till mid summer for them to have me surrounded. First year, the bees made a small nest about the size of palm of my hand in backyard above the patio door. I quickly used the one shot spray on it and knocked it down. They never came back there for rest of summer sweet.

Last year, my backyard was clear of bees, but i started noticing bees around the side of my house. The bees were going into the brick/mortar behind the ac unit were the wires go into the house. I sprayed them, killed about 20 or 30. Then noticed the bees were trying to make a new whole thru the bricks next to the A/C unit. I was spraying about 3 or 4 holes daily. Eventually I had to call the experts they used the powder got all the way into the nest behind the bricks. No more bees for rest of summer. Funny part is I had 1 of those fake bee hives 1 foot away from the a/c unit and that still didn't deter the bees.

So now this year, its still cold out so the bees aren't here yet, how do I stop, prevent, deter them from getting anywhere near my backyard, house, bricks anything. Is there something I can spray on all my bricks they dont like, or a special bees trap that will kill em b4 they just happen to pick my yard as they home again? I watched billy the exterminator on tv always rave and use this some natural eucalyptus based product, where can I find that in Toronto and spray everything in site in it?

Any help will be much appreciated, thanks RDS.
26 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3462 posts
1222 upvotes
Ottawa
Are they bees or wasps? If bees, why do you want to get rid of them?
[OP]
Jan 7, 2010
486 posts
23 upvotes
Brampton
OttawaGardener wrote: Are they bees or wasps? If bees, why do you want to get rid of them?
They are wasps. Got that confirmed.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3462 posts
1222 upvotes
Ottawa
HiClass wrote: They are wasps. Got that confirmed.
Ok just checking! Bees good, wasps (mostly) bad. Easiest is probably store bought wasp spray.
[OP]
Jan 7, 2010
486 posts
23 upvotes
Brampton
OttawaGardener wrote: Ok just checking! Bees good, wasps (mostly) bad. Easiest is probably store bought wasp spray.
yeah, i've noticed with the sprays those are only good once the wasps have arrived. Is there anything I can spray that will deter them from even coming.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36249 posts
10404 upvotes
Ottawa
HiClass wrote: yeah, i've noticed with the sprays those are only good once the wasps have arrived. Is there anything I can spray that will deter them from even coming.
I think that is the case with most sprays. Perhaps a foam spray may work as the foam may leave a residue?
I had bees in my walls last year (also getting in behind the brick and then found an entrance to get between the wall) and used spray and got nowhere. Used the foam after and it worked.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14929 posts
9337 upvotes
Toronto
You can use a fake wasp nest as wasp tend to be territorial. Hang in close to the area before they come back and they most likely will avoid the area. Find out why type of wasp, this will be of much use in your fight.
Dec 16, 2009
560 posts
137 upvotes
Durham
As the above poster said a fake nest or a wasp trap with orange juice in it.
Both items are usually available and Dollarama.
[OP]
Jan 7, 2010
486 posts
23 upvotes
Brampton
koffey wrote: You can use a fake wasp nest as wasp tend to be territorial. Hang in close to the area before they come back and they most likely will avoid the area. Find out why type of wasp, this will be of much use in your fight.
Thanks for the advice, sadly the fake wasp nest did absolutely nothing. I had 1 hung the entire summer, the wasps instead made a nest 1 foot away from the fake nest.

My lil friends are Paper Wasps, and I'm really determined not to let them take over my yard this year!
Aug 5, 2003
66 posts
4 upvotes
If you use a trap, a few drops of dish soap will kill them faster. And some vinegar will keep bees out of the trap (good), but the wasps don't care.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14929 posts
9337 upvotes
Toronto
HiClass wrote: Thanks for the advice, sadly the fake wasp nest did absolutely nothing. I had 1 hung the entire summer, the wasps instead made a nest 1 foot away from the fake nest.

My lil friends are Paper Wasps, and I'm really determined not to let them take over my yard this year!
Interesting, paper tend to only get nasty when the nest is threatened and a fake nest normally works. Are you sure last year they were not already nesting? Cause that won't help. Nests need to be place PRIOR to a new nest build.
[OP]
Jan 7, 2010
486 posts
23 upvotes
Brampton
koffey wrote: Interesting, paper tend to only get nasty when the nest is threatened and a fake nest normally works. Are you sure last year they were not already nesting? Cause that won't help. Nests need to be place PRIOR to a new nest build.
100%, i put the fake nest out pretty early in spring and the location where the paper went in was right beside the fake nest. There's no way I would've missed seeing any paper bees going in and out, especially with it being electrical wires there, and me removing my tarp from the AC unit early in season as well.
[OP]
Jan 7, 2010
486 posts
23 upvotes
Brampton
So far I got 3 of these traps, 1 on each wall surrounding my house, caught 2 bees in 1st 24hrs. I've noticed these bees dont look like the normal worker paper bee's ive seen in middle of summer. I am hoping these are the female queen bees, but who knows.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/green ... xVHNPkrLcs
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
8959 posts
1899 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Hoping everyone is talking about wasps and not bees?
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13634 posts
2394 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Bees or wasps? Does the OP have pictures?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36249 posts
10404 upvotes
Ottawa
OttawaGardener wrote: Me too. Bees - important pollinators! - are in decline, and need our help. http://www.davidsuzuki.org/what-you-can ... ly-garden/ I have no lawn, and have a pollinator-friendly garden
I agree with the important pollinator part, I also agree that they are very important to to our planet and am happy you have a bee friendly garden but...if these bees decided to nest between the walls of your house and make huge hives to you can hear the in the house and honey is spreading to the inside walls.....I suggest even you would also become a bee terminator.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3462 posts
1222 upvotes
Ottawa
Pete_Coach wrote: I agree with the important pollinator part, I also agree that they are very important to to our planet and am happy you have a bee friendly garden but...if these bees decided to nest between the walls of your house and make huge hives to you can hear the in the house and honey is spreading to the inside walls.....I suggest even you would also become a bee terminator.
True :) I hope that never happens!
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1469 posts
511 upvotes
Ottawa
OttawaGardener wrote: Ok just checking! Bees good, wasps (mostly) bad. Easiest is probably store bought wasp spray.
I dont think anything living inside your wall can be considered good....