None
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa

Bee Problem - Update

I have a large (15X22) deck and I have bees somewhere under it. The deck is only a few feet above ground and I cannot see the nest. What I see is bees going down between the boards. I have sat there observing and the bees are going down between the deck boards over a very large area so I cannot pinpoint where the nest is. I do not like sitting on the deck with the bees coming and going.
I tried spraying bee and wasp spray between the boards in areas I thought the bees were but that did no good. I do not want to buy dozens of cans and spray between every board. Is there a good homemade repellent or killer that I can put in a sprayer to get these things?
help :)

UPDATE:
So.

The bees were bumble bees.
I called an exterminator and it was a waste of time as he wanted me to rip up deck boards and locate where the bee nest was. If I knew that I would not have called him. Fortunately I expressed my disappointment with him and no money was exchanged.
I did remove deck boards and I did find the entry point. As it turned out, the bees were in my basement wall. I could hear the buzzing. The were coming in at the point where the siding ended and the parging started. There must have been an opening so I got some spray foam and sealed in the area. Doesn't look very good but, it is under the deck :)
I then went into the basement and listened for the buzzing. I punched a half dozen very small holes (through the vapour barrier and insulation to the foundation wall) and stuck a Wasp and Hornet spray foam nozzle (a small nozzle extension came with the can) and started spraying it into the space. Sure P's off the bees!! I used 3 cans of the stuff, probably overkill but just to be certain they are all dead, no more buzzing in my walls and no more bees coming to the deck.
54 replies
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
DrXenon wrote: Brake cleaner.
Whether it works or not, I would need as many cans as bee killer and was kinda looking for something cheaper.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
1857 posts
376 upvotes
Are they actually bees or wasps? If they are bees, there should be a bee society in your area that you could call and they would have someone come by and move the society. Bees are precious and valuable.

It is most likely that they are wasps. Wasps can have huge, complex nests in the ground under decks. From what I know, it is nearly impossible to kill a colony/nest with stuff available at your local Home Depot. It is best to have a professional exterminator take care of the issue.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2014
1138 posts
216 upvotes
I have a large wooden deck and never had a problem with stinging insects trying to establish themselves under the deck. my theory is that there is an abundance of spider life and they would setup webs and the bee's would get trapped and eaten.
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
They are bees. They are bumble bees in fact.
The deck is very close to the ground so I cannot crawl under to find the hive or nest and I cannot see it.
I guess I can try one of those home remedies, water, soap with hot pepper, in a big sprayer and spray between the deck boards.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7265 posts
2849 upvotes
GTA
If its a regular wood deck (not as easy with some composite deck board brackets) I would remove 2 boards in the center of area the bees are entering. The nest will be inground or in an old plant container/bulge in landscape fabric etc....bumble bees don't build paper nests like wasps under boards so no danger you will lift up the nest.
If the nest isn't visible where you remove boards you can use a mechanics mirror to find it. Take 5 minutes to remove a few boards, you won't get wasp killer on the deck that way.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
5412 posts
3684 upvotes
Get a couple of those big commercial canisters of expandable foam ... squash the critters.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20742 posts
14217 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
You might want to check with a local bee keeper to see if they will come out and remove it. Some might even remove it for free as they are always looking to increase the number of hives that they have.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29374 posts
14877 upvotes
craftsman wrote: You might want to check with a local bee keeper to see if they will come out and remove it. Some might even remove it for free as they are always looking to increase the number of hives that they have.
If you're sure they're bees, this.
Apparently if you kill off bees without moving them properly new bees will see a "free" home and move in again.
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
I removed a couple deck boards (while dodging bees LOL) to see if I can find them but I cannot see any thing.
They are bumble bees so they must have their nest or hive on or in the ground somewhere. I have rocks over top of landscape fabric on the ground but cannot see where.
Oh well, I will call a pest control company and they can come and get rid of them. They even give a 2 year guarantee that the bees will not come back.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2014
1138 posts
216 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: I removed a couple deck boards (while dodging bees LOL) to see if I can find them but I cannot see any thing.
They are bumble bees so they must have their nest or hive on or in the ground somewhere. I have rocks over top of landscape fabric on the ground but cannot see where.
Oh well, I will call a pest control company and they can come and get rid of them. They even give a 2 year guarantee that the bees will not come back.
pete, are you sure they are bumble bee's because carpenter bee's look similar.
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
Penrose wrote: pete, are you sure they are bumble bee's because carpenter bee's look similar.
I did check to be certain. They are bumble bees. They have the yellow stripe on their bodies as opposed to dark on the carpenter bees.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12855 posts
2957 upvotes
Toronto
I've posted this on numerous occasions =) It works with amazing wasps and pretty much any other insects such as spiders. It's supposed to work on bees too.

It's Peppermint extract oil (the concentrated ones from the healthfood store).

[IMG]http://www.gnc.com/graphics/product_ima ... 4030dt.jpg[/IMG]

Get a spray bottle from the dollar store. Mix it with water (I'd say use 1/3 of the peppermint oil bottle), and a couple of drops/squirts of dish detergent or baby soap.

Spray away. Any residue disappears when it dries, makes the place smell nice, although can be a bit strong depending on how much you spray or make it concentrated. Those bees won't be able to get away fast enough. Try to hit where the nest is, but even any entry points as well.

Can't hurt to try, and it's safe for everyone.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1574 posts
1221 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: They are bees. They are bumble bees in fact.
The deck is very close to the ground so I cannot crawl under to find the hive or nest and I cannot see it.
I guess I can try one of those home remedies, water, soap with hot pepper, in a big sprayer and spray between the deck boards.
From your description, you have carpenter bees. They make a perfectly round hole in the wood, and then lay eggs in the hole. We had this as well, tough not as many bees as you are noticing.

Google carpenter bee. They look like bumble bees. Don't fly too fast.

EDIT: just read all the prior posts. Stripes help identify, but fact you see these around you deck, and don't see a hive..... still could be carpenter bee. Though if you see lots of them, you must have a hive somewhere, as I believe carpenter bees would not be as numerous.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
1872 posts
480 upvotes
Markham
I just spotted a bunch of wasps flying in and out of my bricks! They're doing something that is audible to the inside, which is what made me look. What should I do (DIY)??? I Googled and it said not to block the entrance (with insulating foam, etc.) because they'll chew threw and come inside. Is this true? Help!
[inappropriate signature]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5755 posts
3589 upvotes
JohnyBGood wrote: I just spotted a bunch of wasps flying in and out of my bricks! They're doing something that is audible to the inside, which is what made me look. What should I do (DIY)??? I Googled and it said not to block the entrance (with insulating foam, etc.) because they'll chew threw and come inside. Is this true? Help!
It's pretty common for them to nest in weep holes in brick walls. Just buy a can of wasp nest destroyer and spray it in. They won't stand a chance.

I wouldn't seal up the weep hole. It's there for a reason.
Dec 2, 2008
631 posts
68 upvotes
Belleville
I find that spraying Simple Green in areas they frequent or use as entryways keeps them from coming back.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
1872 posts
480 upvotes
Markham
I'm going to use the foam spray "OneShot", tonight, after they've gone to sleep...
Then I need to fill the hole. Is it called "mortar"? Can I buy brick filler in a tub, or can I get a tube for a caulking gun? I need to fill a few of these holes between bricks as I've noticed some around the house.
[inappropriate signature]
Dec 2, 2008
631 posts
68 upvotes
Belleville
Don;t fill in the holes. There are inserts you can buy that still allow water and air to move through.