• Jan 29th, 2019 4:10 pm
Tags:
22 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6808 posts
3972 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Eww, the thought of it grosses me out. I'm sure it isn't an item that many people are wanting.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4333 posts
1790 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm guessing when mad cow disease was a big thing, they got rid of anything to do with cow brains and have kept it that way.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
5089 posts
1770 upvotes
Really don't think consuming this is a good idea.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14654 posts
2731 upvotes
Toronto
logicalperson wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 8:51 am
Where can I buy cow brain in Toronto
I honestly do not know for sure, but you might have some luck in one of Toronto's Chinatowns.
Check with Lucky Moose. If they do not have the cow brains available they may know where to get them...
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
5451 posts
1120 upvotes
Richmond Hill
UrbanPoet wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 6:39 pm
I havent seem brains @ supermarket for yeeeeaars.
It is a thing. Just not recently even in the most diverese of ethnic super markets... i always keep an eye out for stuff like this.
my local food basics sell lamb brains
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5178 posts
2148 upvotes
Even though the risks are low, there is a still a risk of getting CJD (mad cow disease in humans). No amount of cooking can kill the prions

Why would you play this game?
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3227 posts
773 upvotes
Oshawa
logicalperson wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 8:51 am
Where can I buy cow brain in Toronto
Have you tried Chinese supermarkets in the GTA? They should have it.

My mom used to make it when I was a kid ... But that was like 40 years ago.
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
10645 posts
1679 upvotes
Toronto
Yea, I remember these in the supermarket back in the day. I don't recall seeing them since sometime from the 90s I believe.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2244 posts
1362 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Check Portuguese grocery stores (Tavora?)

I can say this in all honesty being married to a born and raised Portuegese man- they spare no part of animals in their cooking including the blood.

Not my cup of tea but it’s true.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
9502 posts
1549 upvotes
Toronto
Other than the mad cow disease danger, which may or maynot be in your cow brain, what is MORE an issue is the Cholesterol level.

My Grandma cooked us pig brain soup, and we had to eat it too. Back then, we were told, its "good for me" We had it often. My cholesterol levels are pretty high right now. And I'm a skinny guy.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/3603 ... eef-brain/

"A single serving contains 3,401 milligrams of cholesterol, or more than 10 times the recommended daily limit, according to National Cholesterol Education Program."
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23947 posts
9490 upvotes
BrunetteGirl wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 9:30 am
Check Portuguese grocery stores (Tavora?)

I can say this in all honesty being married to a born and raised Portuegese man- they spare no part of animals in their cooking including the blood.
Chinese are like that too.
But in Canada at least the government has final say on what we can and cannot use.
Blood and most offal are ok.

But I'm fairly certain that brain and other bits of the central nervous system are banned as @fattyburger11 mentioned.

If OP is dead set on it, they may be able to talk to someone selling whole animals and a disreputable butcher.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6808 posts
3972 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
fattyburger11 wrote:
Jan 24th, 2019 9:24 am
Yeah. It's actually vCJD.

You can't buy it in Canada for consumption as they specifically remove all parts of the central nervous system of the cow from being distributed after slaughter. But somehow I don't think the OP wants it for consumption?
? What else would they want it for? They did post in Food and Drink.