Cell Phones

Been out of the game, help me choose a phone?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 30th, 2020 4:13 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2008
3298 posts
368 upvotes
Mississauga

Been out of the game, help me choose a phone?

Requirements:
- Android
- Dual SIM (will consider eSIM if device supported by Bell)
- Top 5ish camera quality
- compatible with 5G in Canada (Bell/Rogers/Telus)
- Budget - $1000ish, but will consider mid-tier budget phones

Note: I'm open to east Asian market phones (Xiaomi) as long as they are well supported and it isn't too restrictive in terms of locking out features and come with Google Play, etc.

Whatchu got folks!?

Current Phone: Note 8
8 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1409 posts
989 upvotes
Montreal, QC
bk2the6ix wrote: Requirements:
- Android
- Dual SIM (will consider eSIM if device supported by Bell)
- Top 5ish camera quality
- compatible with 5G in Canada (Bell/Rogers/Telus)
- Budget - $1000ish, but will consider mid-tier budget phones

Note: I'm open to east Asian market phones (Xiaomi) as long as they are well supported and it isn't too restrictive in terms of locking out features and come with Google Play, etc.

Whatchu got folks!?

Current Phone: Note 8
If 5G wasn't a requirement for you, I would recommend a OnePlus phone as it satisfies all your other requirements including the fact that it has 2 SIM slots. The OnePlus 8T is (excluding taxes) slightly above your price point. The OnePlus 8T has 5G but I'm not sure if it is compatible with the Canadian carriers that you've mentioned. The lower/base end OnePlus 8 might also satisfy your needs (beyond the 5G requirement) as it is under your price point (excluding taxes).
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2016
1100 posts
1399 upvotes
Mississauga
If you are going for the full price upfront, then get a Samsung exynos device. No second SIM restriction, though i'm not certain if Bell allows Volte features for non-Bell devices. Might as well wait for the S21 at this point. Preordering in Canada gets you some nice discounts, then flip it and go for an international version... but you've been out of the game for so long, don't know if you've got the stomach for this.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2008
3298 posts
368 upvotes
Mississauga
Gangsta101 wrote: If you are going for the full price upfront, then get a Samsung exynos device. No second SIM restriction, though i'm not certain if Bell allows Volte features for non-Bell devices. Might as well wait for the S21 at this point. Preordering in Canada gets you some nice discounts, then flip it and go for an international version... but you've been out of the game for so long, don't know if you've got the stomach for this.
My current phone is the Exynos dual-sim variant of the Note 8, so I'm most comfortable with that. But my googling tells me that the Exynos variants of the new Samsung devices (S20 FE, Note, etc) aren't compatible with Bells 5G networks.

Thats why I was approaching this group.
Apr 25, 2019
334 posts
537 upvotes
The perfect devices that will satisfy your requirements would be either the Pixel 5, or the 4a 5G, both have eSIM.
Lucky Mobile 3.5 GB $25
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2016
1100 posts
1399 upvotes
Mississauga
bk2the6ix wrote: My current phone is the Exynos dual-sim variant of the Note 8, so I'm most comfortable with that. But my googling tells me that the Exynos variants of the new Samsung devices (S20 FE, Note, etc) aren't compatible with Bells 5G networks.

Thats why I was approaching this group.
You are right, the Exynos models (including the upcoming S21) all lack Band n66 which Bell uses. Wonder how difficult it is to source non-NA Snapgragon Galaxy phones.
Apr 20, 2011
313 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
LeifS39303 wrote: The perfect devices that will satisfy your requirements would be either the Pixel 5, or the 4a 5G, both have eSIM.
Came here to say this. I would definitely go for a Pixel device. Uptodate security patches, simple UI (stock android), probably one of the best camera.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2008
3298 posts
368 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks guys.

Looks like Pixel 5 it is. I wanted to future proof the phone a bit so getting 5G. The price difference between 4a 5G and the 5 makes it easy to choose the 5.
Oct 14, 2006
212 posts
97 upvotes
Richmond
bk2the6ix wrote: Thanks guys.

Looks like Pixel 5 it is. I wanted to future proof the phone a bit so getting 5G. The price difference between 4a 5G and the 5 makes it easy to choose the 5.
Really, they're almost the same phone. They could've called it the Pixel 5a and been pretty accurate. Loses 90hz, gains a speaker and headphone jack, but most of the other specs are basically identical. I like larger screens, so 4a 5G wins for me. Neither phone is bad, though. They just have slightly different strengths. Full Disclosure: I bought one too! It's just weeks and weeks and weeks late arriving.