Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3639 posts
1171 upvotes
Oshawa, ON

Been outta the game for a while

I've essentially lost interest in shooting and I'm looking to sell my equipment. I've no idea what the prices are now and there isn't much to compare it to. Is there still a market for DSLR stuff? Is there any advantage of using an adapter with my lenses for a Sony/Canon mirrorless body? I've read the main disadvantage of using an adapter is that you lose the in-body stabilization, auto focus and other camera specific features as opposed to native lenses. If anyone can bring me up to speed on what I should know, that'd be appreciated. I've read a few things here and there but not sure if there's anything I missed.

I'm open to buying a mirrorless body (Sony or Canon preferred) with at least a 24-70mm f/2.8 lens. The Sony G Master lenses looks insanely expensive and would prefer to stick with Sigma if possible. These mirrorless lenses are almost triple the price of a DSLR lens, photography doesn't seem as affordable as it used to be.

I have the following if anyone can give me a rough price of each:
  • Canon 6D with OEM grip with x4 aftermarket batteries, dual battery charger, OEM battery and charger
  • 580EX II flash with Yongnuo wireless transmitters
  • Sigma EX 10-20mm f/3.5
  • Sigma EX 50mm f/1.4
  • Sigma EX 24mm-70mm f/2.8
  • Sigma EX 70-200mm f/2.8 OS

These lenses are the latest EX series just before the ART series was released.

Ideally, I prefer to sell to someone as a package, especially the lenses. I worked very hard to gather these lenses over the past decade for a good deal and I'm hoping someone could appreciate them as much I did. Everything comes with the box and accessories except for the 70-200. Thanks.
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2006
6642 posts
900 upvotes
Ottawa
I am in similar situation and I have 6D with EF 24-105 L, EF 50 f1.4, EF 85 f1.8 and some other lens as well. I didn't take any photos for some long time and when started to check used price, I was surprised to see all my cameras and lens have depreciated significantly while all new mirror-less camera and lens price are outrageously expensive at the same time. For your specific gears, I think 6D is worth about $600 CAD or so, while 580 EX II is worth about $150 or so, no idea about the sigma lens, you can easily search on ebay and kijiji for the selling price of them.

One question is why are you selling all your equipment if you still want to buy mirror-less cameras, your DSLR and lens are as capable as the time you bought them. Or if you like the mirrorless features, like better AF or video, you can buy a Canon mirrorless and adapt all your EF mount lens, they work as well as on your DSLRs. In fact, I'v read most EF lens works better (better AF) on canon mirrorless than they are on Canon DSLR. And if you got Canon R5 or R6, the IBIS works well for your non-IS lens. Unless you really want to upgrade to the better but extremely expensive RF L or Sony G master lens, like the RF 24-70 f2.8 is or RF 28-70 f2. Personally, I'v found used 6D and EF 24-105 L to be among the best bargain on the market and I am hesitate to sell them for such low price unless you have specific reason to upgrade.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2007
1922 posts
1254 upvotes
I would worry about how well the Canon EF->mirrorless adapter works with these fairly old third party (Sigma) lenses. You should do some research, and if they work well, I'd go the Canon RX route.

But to be honest, this might be just throwing away your money. I don't think buying newer gear will rejuvenate your interest to photography. I am in a somewhat similar situation, with Canon 6D and a few lenses (like Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC, and the magic 135L), my interest in shooting is way down, but I am not in a rush to sell my gear, as it still can produce magic, and perhaps one day my interest will come back.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2003
2954 posts
113 upvotes
Markham
pulsar123 wrote: I don't think buying newer gear will rejuvenate your interest to photography.
The Fuji X100 might do the trick. Some cameras are fun to use, some aren't and that's totally subjective.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7294 posts
3870 upvotes
Debtario
No idea on price, but that's a solid kit there. TBH I'd hang on to it instead of taking a bath on resale.

Agree with the Fuji X100 recommendation (there are several generations, the latest is the X100 V, there's the S/T/F before that), it's a really nice little beast. The best camera is the one you have on you.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2007
1610 posts
522 upvotes
Bedford
I went mirrorless with a pair of Nikon Z6 bodies 2 or 3 years ago. I kept my legacy F mount glass and regularly use the 70-200 F4 , 50mm 1.8g and 85mm 1.8g. They were great when launched 10 years ago, and work better on the Z bodies today. My short zoom is the Z6 kit 24-70 F4, which has been an amazing kit lens. My point is that great glass will always be great glass, and mirrorless with IBIS can make them even better.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2003
1080 posts
359 upvotes
Also echo the comments about Fuji x100 series. A lot of fun to shoot!
Nov 3, 2007
889 posts
57 upvotes
Cambridge
Canons not producing DSLRs anymore also closing out of EF lens that said
You have aftermarket lens I would question how they work with Canon mirrorless cameras with the Canon adaptor
Do you really want to go that route anyway you just may not be interested in photography anymore
I have done it since 15 and am winding down in awhile .....tired of obsolescence of gear and upgrades
Progress yeah maybe but way to expensive now
Cambridge,Ontario
Dec 3, 2008
501 posts
106 upvotes
rivet wrote: I am in similar situation and I have 6D with EF 24-105 L, EF 50 f1.4, EF 85 f1.8 and some other lens as well. I didn't take any photos for some long time and when started to check used price, I was surprised to see all my cameras and lens have depreciated significantly while all new mirror-less camera and lens price are outrageously expensive at the same time. For your specific gears, I think 6D is worth about $600 CAD or so, while 580 EX II is worth about $150 or so, no idea about the sigma lens, you can easily search on ebay and kijiji for the selling price of them.

One question is why are you selling all your equipment if you still want to buy mirror-less cameras, your DSLR and lens are as capable as the time you bought them. Or if you like the mirrorless features, like better AF or video, you can buy a Canon mirrorless and adapt all your EF mount lens, they work as well as on your DSLRs. In fact, I'v read most EF lens works better (better AF) on canon mirrorless than they are on Canon DSLR. And if you got Canon R5 or R6, the IBIS works well for your non-IS lens. Unless you really want to upgrade to the better but extremely expensive RF L or Sony G master lens, like the RF 24-70 f2.8 is or RF 28-70 f2. Personally, I'v found used 6D and EF 24-105 L to be among the best bargain on the market and I am hesitate to sell them for such low price unless you have specific reason to upgrade.
Just want to say thanks! After reading this post I went on Kijiji and snagged a dirt cheap 6D. Now I'm going down the rabbit hole of trying to snag cheap EF L lenses haha.

I used to shoot canon but switched to Sony A6000 body years ago - wanted to buy an A7III but I couldn't pass up how cheap these canon full frame DSLR's are right now.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
2000 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto
One option is to check ebay sold listing for an approximate market price. Another option is to check henrys and see if their used department is willing to buy them.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)