Computers & Electronics

Been Receiving Adult Themed PDFs that are shared to me on Google Drive

  • Last Updated:
  • May 11th, 2020 10:00 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
43719 posts
7428 upvotes

Been Receiving Adult Themed PDFs that are shared to me on Google Drive

One of my main emails that I use, lately I've been receiving notifications where adult themed PDFs are being shared to my Google Drive account that is related to this email address. I have received 8 so far.

On my iPhone, it says so and so has shared this document (PDF) with you. The email addresses are all of third world origin and it is really annoying. Stupid Google won't even give me the option to block these email IDs. Only thing I can do is report it as abuse and delete the PDFs on my Google Drive account/App. I have been using my iphone to carry out the steps. I hope there's no malware in it, but hence using iOS device.

Is there any way to completely avoid this or what not? I could delete my GMail account tied to this Google Drive, but that means I have to change my email ID with the respective accounts that it is tied to. Any suggestions?

Let's say John Do has shared "adult themed file.pdf" with you and its on my account automatically. I can't even allow or block this option. Can I prevent strangers from sharing documents with me? Where they need my permission?

Here's an online post for reference/example:
Having the same problem here, happened 3 times just today. This is about fake accounts sharing (inappropriate) Docs with me: I can't find a setting to prevent strangers from doing so, and that also results in notifications on all of my devices so it's quite bothersome.
https://support.google.com/drive/thread/5207602?hl=en
Blanka
21 replies
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
43719 posts
7428 upvotes
Seems that I can't delete my Google Drive account on its own. :(
Blanka
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
43719 posts
7428 upvotes
Got another one this morning. I've been slowly changing my accounts that are tied with this email to another email. Only have 3 pending ones left including RFD lol.

However I will lose all my Google Play purchases should I delete the account altogether.
Blanka
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1880 posts
2115 upvotes
Yikes. Best to close the account. The last thing you would want to for images with other themes to show up and you ended up on a list with the police. EDIT: Couldn't you just block the email address that is sending these files?
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
11798 posts
6851 upvotes
Markham
maple1 wrote: Yikes. Best to close the account. The last thing you would want to for images with other themes to show up and you ended up on a list with the police. EDIT: Couldn't you just block the email address that is sending these files?
Those scam companies probably use machine generated random email address
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
43719 posts
7428 upvotes
maple1 wrote: Yikes. Best to close the account. The last thing you would want to for images with other themes to show up and you ended up on a list with the police. EDIT: Couldn't you just block the email address that is sending these files?
Nope there is no option on Google Drive or Google to block the sender. That was one of my biggest issues and a lot of have been complaining about it. I may as well just suck up the loses and close the account. I have to wait till Monday to contact EA/Origin to troubleshoot an issue.
Blanka
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 28, 2004
22901 posts
4378 upvotes
Toronto
maple1 wrote: Yikes. Best to close the account. The last thing you would want to for images with other themes to show up and you ended up on a list with the police. EDIT: Couldn't you just block the email address that is sending these files?
lol I was going to say "sit back and enjoy OP" but you are right, if lil kiddy images start showing up....yikes!!

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
43719 posts
7428 upvotes
ji2o0k wrote: lol I was going to say "sit back and enjoy OP" but you are right, if lil kiddy images start showing up....yikes!!
Fortunately none of that. Just basically normal adult porn in pdf documents and links in the pdf document. Usually it is included with some sort of malware. Hence why I am only doing the actions on my iPhone. In case it is malware designed for Android or Windows.
Blanka
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
11798 posts
6851 upvotes
Markham
djemzine wrote: Nope there is no option on Google Drive or Google to block the sender. That was one of my biggest issues and a lot of have been complaining about it. I may as well just suck up the loses and close the account. I have to wait till Monday to contact EA/Origin to troubleshoot an issue.
Is it because your google drive is public?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
43719 posts
7428 upvotes
smartie wrote: Is it because your google drive is public?
The folders that I have and the files are private. They can only be shared with someone when I create a link.

As for my gmail address being public, most likely. Again even if it were not public, a breach can still make your email address public. I.e. LIfe Labs breach for example. If I had my gmail account tied to my Life Lab account, the threat actors get a list of all stolen email ID, contact name, contact info, etc. This is sold on the dark web and then the bad guys purchase these accounts to carry out various functions such as OSINT, phishing campaigns, social engineering, etc.

That's my theory as to why I've been bombarded lately.
Blanka
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2986 upvotes
Hook me up! It's a perk, not some troublesome issue to be dealt with!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 11, 2009
6843 posts
3365 upvotes
Debtario
It seems the files are shared/made available to you, but not synced to your drive unless you open them.

https://www.howtogeek.com/400511/google ... m-to-care/
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
43719 posts
7428 upvotes
Just got another one. Ugh. Lol.
Blanka
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1455 posts
860 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone can share files with you, but unless you open the link they won't be in your drive. So it doesn't sound like they're putting things in your actual drive. However haven't you learnt to not open files sent from another sender? PDF files aren't safe, only pure .txt files are safe, almost every other file can hide attack vectors. Stop opening them.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
43719 posts
7428 upvotes
The Canterbury Tail wrote: Anyone can share files with you, but unless you open the link they won't be in your drive. So it doesn't sound like they're putting things in your actual drive. However haven't you learnt to not open files sent from another sender? PDF files aren't safe, only pure .txt files are safe, almost every other file can hide attack vectors. Stop opening them.
I completely understand and as mentioned, I am not opening them up in my computer, work laptop, etc. Only my burner cell phone which is an iPhone. So even if there is malware, it won't do much damage as I can just purge it. I am aware that PDFs do contain malware. Along with JPEG.

Also these are not links, they are actual documents. However more or less same concept. By the way if I do open my Google Drive, the file is definitely present and shows up on the list. So if I open up the iOS Google Drive app, on the Home tab/screen, the shared PDF is displayed. So I didn't even open any link or the actual pdf itself.
Blanka
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1455 posts
860 upvotes
Toronto
djemzine wrote: Also these are not links, they are actual documents. However more or less same concept. By the way if I do open my Google Drive, the file is definitely present and shows up on the list. So if I open up the iOS Google Drive app, on the Home tab/screen, the shared PDF is displayed. So I didn't even open any link or the actual pdf itself.
That's really odd. It may be worth contacting Google about it. May be similar to the attack vectors last year with people getting fake calendar items inserted by people that don't have access.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
43719 posts
7428 upvotes
The Canterbury Tail wrote: That's really odd. It may be worth contacting Google about it. May be similar to the attack vectors last year with people getting fake calendar items inserted by people that don't have access.
Tell me about it. All I can do is report as an abuse and remove the files themselves. I will be purging this account anyways.
Blanka
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
43719 posts
7428 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote: I don't see why you can't block emails on Google. Even with Yahoo you can block emails. I used to get tons of them from satellite hacking places coming from all kinds of email addresses and was able to block them all.
Tell me about it. Only thing is marking as spam. Welcome to Google.
Blanka

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)