[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1471 posts
477 upvotes
Vancouver

Bees or wasps

Lots of bees or wasps in my garden.

Any suggestions on repellent or pest control for bees or wasps?

There must be a nest somewhere in my neighborhood.
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8120 posts
3908 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Figure out which ones they are first. Wasps, especially yellow jackets, are a nuisance. They may even be nesting in your house or in the ground. Bees, leave alone.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1471 posts
477 upvotes
Vancouver
Based on the trajectory of their flight path, it appears that they are flying from my neighbors.....so I am asking is there any repellent that i can put around my house to keep them away?
thriftshopper wrote: Figure out which ones they are first. Wasps, especially yellow jackets, are a nuisance. They may even be nesting in your house or in the ground. Bees, leave alone.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8120 posts
3908 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
No repellent. Try traps. I see CT has one (~$1 < than HD too).

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/gree ... 3669p.html

Are they landing on your food? Yellow jacket wasps have an annoying habit of coming for your fats and proteins (e.g./i.e., grilled meats).

There are honey bees that buzz me for short periods several times a day and land on me (toes in particular last night) but it doesn't help that I deliberately have two hives with ten of thousands of them in my yard.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8120 posts
3908 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
jandumm wrote: You could try a fake wasps nest - like follows. I've used them before and they seem to have worked.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/bee- ... 3500p.html
Depends on what kind if wasps you have. Might work for yellow jackets and other territorial wasps (ones that build big hives?). My house shelters European Paper Wasps (fruit/sweet eaters) which are nesting (small ones) under the tiled roof but not damaging. They're fairly harmless and nowhere as annoying/aggressive as yellow jackets. They're also not territorial so these fake nests don't deter them.

I had to poison a nest of ground-dwelling yellow jackets last night. Got 3 stings the night before when I walked near their nest in the evening. I'd leave them alone but they'll prey on my bees next month.