Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2012
1119 posts
505 upvotes
TORONTO

Is this Beet Juice brine?

I was trying to clean my rear window with my wiper and fluid and it just smeared this nasty film and made it worse. Had to hit up the car wash and scrub down the whole backside of my car. It came off, fortunately.

I drive on the 401 from Durham into dt Toronto at least 3 times a week. I take the dvp and gardener.
I’m guessing it’s the beet juice brine they’ve been using to de-ice. Pretty gross stuff. Not sure what’s worse, the dried salt on your jacket from the doors or this greasy concoction.
Images
  • 13861472-A0E1-409B-B526-0F10A6D703EA.jpeg
3 replies
Mar 13, 2019
289 posts
178 upvotes
I'll take that over rust any day of the week
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2172 posts
1399 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
It's most likely exhaust fumes that settled onto the snow/highway. Common phenomenon on our highways, especially ones with heavy traffic. Next time you get on the highway and there is a light rain try to brake suddenly and you will find that the highway is extremely slippery from the oils, etc that settled on the pavement. Once the rain is heavy enough to actually "wash" the road your traction will improve. Same in winter except that the snow/water, etc on the highway does kick, up to the back window.

That said the idea of "beet juice" probably does contribute to this.
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Inklings & Clues accumulated'"
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2012
1119 posts
505 upvotes
TORONTO
rcmpvet wrote: It's most likely exhaust fumes that settled onto the snow/highway. Common phenomenon on our highways, especially ones with heavy traffic. Next time you get on the highway and there is a light rain try to brake suddenly and you will find that the highway is extremely slippery from the oils, etc that settled on the pavement. Once the rain is heavy enough to actually "wash" the road your traction will improve. Same in winter except that the snow/water, etc on the highway does kick, up to the back window.

That said the idea of "beet juice" probably does contribute to this.
My Mazda Tribute aka Escape is a rust magnet. The entire lift gate is rusted. These cars kick up spray on the back so easily. A common issue are the lift gate window latch corroding and rusting out.
I hate the salt and it really does stick to the sides of your car. Buts it’s powdery and falls off. This beet juice concoction seems to leave a layer. I needed to scrub it off. Wipers were making it worse. Fortunately my side mirrors were still available but not being able to see out the back clearly is concerning.