Automotive

Before I complain... Does 10mm extra tire width from OEM spec cause problems?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 26th, 2016 1:12 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
45442 posts
8453 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain

Before I complain... Does 10mm extra tire width from OEM spec cause problems?

I went got tires from _______. I won't say their name... Nice guys, good service, and good prices...
So if this blip does cause problems, I'll call them to resolve the issue amicably. If not... I'll leave it as is.
They asked me for the year, model, make, and also size required. I said 215/45/17.
I just noticed I Got 225/45/17.

Would this affect
-fuel economy
-wear and tear on suspension components
-wear and tear on brakes

Wouldn't my contact patch and rolling resistance be increased due to the tires being wider then the OEM recommended size?
25 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16170 posts
14195 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I went from 245 to 275 in the front. No issue at all. 10mm more is nothing and you are over thinking this.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6389 posts
2039 upvotes
BC
Correspondingly taller as well, so your acceleration will be fractionally slower, and your top speed fractionally higher.

So, marginally lower fuel economy.

None of which you will notice (similarly any marginally greater stress on the wheel bearings). Wear & tear on brakes unaffected.

The tire shop might have done you a favour as a 215 in a 45 series does sound a mite narrow on a 17" wheel.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5704 posts
1881 upvotes
Space
You're good to go. Check the date stamp on the tires. Not sure if I'd go back to a shop that can't follow simple directions from a customer.
May 23, 2015
380 posts
969 upvotes
Ontario
UrbanPoet wrote: I went got tires from _______. I won't say their name... Nice guys, good service, and good prices...
So if this blip does cause problems, I'll call them to resolve the issue amicably. If not... I'll leave it as is.
They asked me for the year, model, make, and also size required. I said 215/45/17.

Would this affect
-fuel economy
-wear and tear on brakes

Wouldn't my contact patch and rolling resistance be increased due to the tires being wider then the OEM recommended size?
I have 255 40 17 instead of 235 45 17 in my TL and i have no problems.
If you are concerned check and compare your oem vs other size here in tire calculator: http://www.wheel-size.com
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
1852 posts
1545 upvotes
Waterloo
do a full 2 and a half turns on the steering wheel then park the car. check if there are any wheel rubbing against sidewall or fender. drive like this in a circle in a parking lot to see if you feel any vibration or rubbing.

most wheel wells are large enough that can accommodate more than just a centimeter increase.

technically wider wheels will be less gas efficient because they have better grip. but at 1 cm increase, i seriously doubt you will ever notice a difference. probably not even 1/10 of a liter...

edit: if you're really unhappy, ask for a discount or a future discount. but don't expect too much because honestly the 1cm increase makes no difference, as long as there is no rubbing.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36185 posts
10326 upvotes
Ottawa
UrbanPoet wrote: As long as it doesn't cause problems... I won't complain.
I'm happy I got all seasons for only $360/set. Sure they are fusion made in china all-seasons. I got 5 years out of my last set of made in china summers!
10 mm wider should not cause any problem at all. Just check the lock to lock turning o the tires and make sure they do not rub the fenders.
Also, there is a plate on the rear door frame that will give you all the OEM suggested tires sizes and pressures.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2005
8045 posts
656 upvotes
Brampton
OP, please mention or PM where you got this deal. Looking the the same size tires for my car. $360 sounds like a good price for tires backed by a bigger company.
Mar 19, 2015
270 posts
257 upvotes
North York, ON
My car came with 265/35 all around, I swapped them out for 275/35 on the front and 315/35 on the back with no issues.

I changed my wheels too though.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2011
5835 posts
1213 upvotes
aGincourt
You will have a bit better grip and the steering might feel slightly heavier.... Overall no big difference. Please don't make a fool out of yourself and complain about this
Mar 5, 2016
156 posts
58 upvotes
No. it will not negatively effect your car. You will not see any difference in fuel economy. your air pressure will have a far larger effect.

For fun in put the numbers into this site. you will see the difference it will cause at different speeds. Marginal

https://tiresize.com/calculator/
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
45442 posts
8453 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Swswswish wrote: You will have a bit better grip and the steering might feel slightly heavier.... Overall no big difference. Please don't make a fool out of yourself and complain about this
Hey mama didn't raise no fool! Did ya read the op? I'm doing my checks and balances before i even consider a complaint.

Way ahead of ya buddy ;)
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1695 posts
1413 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: I went got tires from _______. I won't say their name... Nice guys, good service, and good prices...

Would this affect
-fuel economy
-wear and tear on brakes

Even if they are close, they may have picked the wrong tires. Just as easy to install the right OEM spec tires.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
9063 posts
3368 upvotes
Mississauga
OP, shouldn't be an issue as others have said.

Out of curiosity, have you tried looking up your vehicle on Tirerack or some other site to see what it spits out as the OEM tire size. Maybe 225 is the correct width for all you know.