• Aug 13th, 2022 10:20 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2010
3478 posts
13851 upvotes
Toronto

Before you price match…

Might be a good idea to scan the item to confirm the price. I was at RCSS and the 6 pack of facial tissues was tagged as $6.99 for buy 2 or more, or $9.99 each. The Flipp app had the cheapest price for matching as $6.99. However, when I scanned the tissues, it showed as $5.99. Had I PM’ed the $6.99 price, I would have paid $1 extra.
10 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27805 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
EddySaver wrote: Might be a good idea to scan the item to confirm the price. I was at RCSS and the 6 pack of facial tissues was tagged as $6.99 for buy 2 or more, or $9.99 each. The Flipp app had the cheapest price for matching as $6.99. However, when I scanned the tissues, it showed as $5.99. Had I PM’ed the $6.99 price, I would have paid $1 extra.
Very true

But I would have thought everyone would naturally do this
Verify the current price

Cuz well in this digital age
Prices can be all over the map (even in the same chain )

And can pop up at any time / any day

Where Store Managers are able to declare their own Managers Specials

We talk about this a lot on the PCO MegaThread where offers come in so many different forms … not just from Corporate / in the flyer
Banned
Jul 7, 2019
1300 posts
1934 upvotes
Oilers Country
In my experience, staff doing price matches will always scan the product initially to confirm their own store's price first, before doing anything else. This is certainly the procedure when price matching at London Drugs. This would immediately head off any issues: you show an ad on your phone for 6.99, the clerk scans the product at 5.99 and then points out that the item is already below the price you're asking to be matched. It is VERY unlikely that a clerk is going to go full steam ahead and RAISE the price on your item just because you have requested a price match.

Remember, price matching is more work for the staff member: if they can avoid it, they will. It also generally requires an override (either their own, if they're a front supervisor, or someone else's). Again, they don't want to use their override any more often than they have to--which is why a lot of them get really sticky about price matching in the first place. If they can give you a better price than you're asking for without having to do anything other than scan the product, they will.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2010
3478 posts
13851 upvotes
Toronto
TravellingChris wrote: In my experience, staff doing price matches will always scan the product initially to confirm their own store's price first, before doing anything else. This is certainly the procedure when price matching at London Drugs. This would immediately head off any issues: you show an ad on your phone for 6.99, the clerk scans the product at 5.99 and then points out that the item is already below the price you're asking to be matched. It is VERY unlikely that a clerk is going to go full steam ahead and RAISE the price on your item just because you have requested a price match.

Remember, price matching is more work for the staff member: if they can avoid it, they will. It also generally requires an override (either their own, if they're a front supervisor, or someone else's). Again, they don't want to use their override any more often than they have to--which is why a lot of them get really sticky about price matching in the first place. If they can give you a better price than you're asking for without having to do anything other than scan the product, they will.
I usually PM at the self-checkout at RCSS. I show them my phone, they check that it’s a store that they price match and the date of the flyer period, they type in the price shown on the phone, they enter the override code, and then they exit the override interface. They discourage the customer from scanning and then asking to PM because they would have to cancel the transaction first. The only time they verified RCSS’ own price was when No Frills was selling the 6-pack Royale for $2.99 (RCSS’ regular price came up to $9.99) and the clerk was debating whether it applied to the 3 ply. The description in the flyer didn’t specify but had a picture of the 2-ply. Was told to go to CS and they were able to PM it there.

When I PMed at a regular lane, it was a similar procedure and the clerks didn’t verify RCSS’ price first, just entered the numbers from the Flipp app.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2018
1626 posts
2993 upvotes
Most stores have price checkers throughout. You can check there so it’s less of a hassle on the cashier. If your store is on PC Express, the prices are shown there as well
Banned
Jul 7, 2019
1300 posts
1934 upvotes
Oilers Country
AndrewT5406 wrote: Most stores have price checkers throughout. You can check there so it’s less of a hassle on the cashier. If your store is on PC Express, the prices are shown there as well
I was going to point this out, but you beat me to it. Smiling Face With Open Mouth I find that signage is often wrong in stores--something may be on sale but there is nothing but the shelf tag showing the regular price. It's easy just to quickly scan to get the current price.
Banned
Jul 7, 2019
1300 posts
1934 upvotes
Oilers Country
EddySaver wrote: I usually PM at the self-checkout at RCSS. I show them my phone, they check that it’s a store that they price match and the date of the flyer period, they type in the price shown on the phone, they enter the override code, and then they exit the override interface. They discourage the customer from scanning and then asking to PM because they would have to cancel the transaction first. The only time they verified RCSS’ own price was when No Frills was selling the 6-pack Royale for $2.99 (RCSS’ regular price came up to $9.99) and the clerk was debating whether it applied to the 3 ply. The description in the flyer didn’t specify but had a picture of the 2-ply. Was told to go to CS and they were able to PM it there.

When I PMed at a regular lane, it was a similar procedure and the clerks didn’t verify RCSS’ price first, just entered the numbers from the Flipp app.
I'm not sure what the exact rules are at RCSS, but staff SHOULD be verifying their own price before matching a competitor's. I know at London Drugs they ALWAYS do a price inquiry first before anything else.

As an aside I would always recommend doing price-matching only at regular lanes, not self-checkouts. In many stores the express lanes are never staffed: the store uses self-checkouts as "express" for those who have only a handful of items. A great way to infuriate a line of shoppers behind you is to do something out of the ordinary at a self-checkout (like a price match) while everyone in a hurry has to wait.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
7156 posts
7138 upvotes
AndrewT5406 wrote: Most stores have price checkers throughout. You can check there so it’s less of a hassle on the cashier. If your store is on PC Express, the prices are shown there as well
This might be true for RCSS but it is not true for other stores that PM, at least not in my city. The only store that has a price checker is Walmart, none of the grocery chains (No Frills, Frescho, etc do). I'm not sure why people can't just use the sign in front of the item to find out what the price is. If you find it cheaper, then PM, if not, then buy at the stated price. If the price stated on the sign is lower than what rings up then you use can use SCOP (for participating stores).

As for the OP, you normally have to indicate which items you want to PM BEFORE they ring it through...it is unfair to the cashier and customers to ring everything through at regular price to see if you want to PM.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2010
3478 posts
13851 upvotes
Toronto
hierophant wrote: As for the OP, you normally have to indicate which items you want to PM BEFORE they ring it through...it is unfair to the cashier and customers to ring everything through at regular price to see if you want to PM.
Lol I’m not sure why some posters on this forum constantly misinterpret my posts RE: PM’ing. In this case, there was no need to PM. I found out the scanned price was cheaper than the tagged price for the one item I needed and any of the competitor’s prices that RCSS PMs. I bought the item and left the store. There was no inconvenience caused to other customers.

I am posting this thread as a PSA so posters don’t accidentally overpay through PM (which is opposite to the intention of PM, as we’re trying to save after all). At least 3 people have found it helpful so far.

It may be fairer to your fellow posters to take a little more time to read what is written and understand why this thread was posted. But if this thread is causing you inconvenience or if it doesn’t apply to you, please move on.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
7156 posts
7138 upvotes
EddySaver wrote: Lol I’m not sure why some posters on this forum constantly misinterpret my posts RE: PM’ing. In this case, there was no need to PM. I found out the scanned price was cheaper than the tagged price for the one item I needed and any of the competitor’s prices that RCSS PMs. I bought the item and left the store. There was no inconvenience caused to other customers.

I am posting this thread as a PSA so posters don’t accidentally overpay through PM (which is opposite to the intention of PM, as we’re trying to save after all). At least 3 people have found it helpful so far.

It may be fairer to your fellow posters to take a little more time to read what is written and understand why this thread was posted. But if this thread is causing you inconvenience or if it doesn’t apply to you, please move on.
LOL... well if you're "constantly" being misinterpreted by posters than that may indicate poor communication on your part but that's another matter because I do not believe I misinterpreted what you're saying. You conveniently left out of your reply when I said "I'm not sure why people can't just use the sign in front of the item to find out what the price is. If you find it cheaper, then PM, if not, then buy at the stated price. If the price stated on the sign is lower than what rings up then you use can use SCOP (for participating stores)." - if everyone did that then your point is moot (i.e., there's no need for this thread)...I also indicated that you need to make the cashier aware of PM items BEFORE they ring them through. I also noted that most stores do not have a price checker (so one can't scan the price before going to the checkout line). What am I saying that is so offensive to you?
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2010
3478 posts
13851 upvotes
Toronto
hierophant wrote: LOL... well if you're "constantly" being misinterpreted by posters than that may indicate poor communication on your part but that's another matter because I do not believe I misinterpreted what you're saying. You conveniently left out of your reply when I said "I'm not sure why people can't just use the sign in front of the item to find out what the price is. If you find it cheaper, then PM, if not, then buy at the stated price. If the price stated on the sign is lower than what rings up then you use can use SCOP (for participating stores)." - if everyone did that then your point is moot (i.e., there's no need for this thread)...I also indicated that you need to make the cashier aware of PM items BEFORE they ring them through. I also noted that most stores do not have a price checker (so one can't scan the price before going to the checkout line). What am I saying that is so offensive to you?
Your first paragraph was responding to another poster. Your second paragraph was addressing me. Therefore, I only quoted your second paragraph. There was nothing malicious. Maybe you should be more fair to your fellow posters and make less assumptions about them.

And if you took a bit more time to read what was written in the OP, you would have noted that, in this case, the price stated on the shelf sign is HIGHER not lower than the scanned price (and the scanned price was also lower than competitors’ prices). Therefore, SCOP does not apply here and there is a need for this thread, it’s helpful and you can move on.