Before you think of operating an illegal AirBnb in QC

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 1st, 2020 8:55 am
12 replies
Jun 28, 2018
736 posts
485 upvotes
Toronto
That's great. My condo is no short term rentals. There does not appear to be this issue, but good to know the possibilities.

Though, it took a motivated team to hire investigators.
The Distracted Investor

Dividends through quality companies 😃 Though I usually lose money with trades :facepalm:
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
9737 posts
5041 upvotes
joepipe wrote: good now Toronto needs to start heavy fines.... peoples lives are getting screwed by Airbnb
Hardly. Airbnb is certainly a problem but “ruining lives”? Cmon

My condo does not allow short term rentals if any kind and they have it posted everywhere. Most condos have the same rules. There aren’t many illegal operations...not to the point where they’re ruining lives
Jan 30, 2019
90 posts
54 upvotes
My condo does not allow short-terms either but somehow people manage to rent on AirBnB, probably the way the defendants did in this case. We have about 70% owners/30% renters so the problem is not so bad, but I have noticed code locks in the parking area that is shared with another tower where a short-term rental company owns some units and rents them out (non AirBnB). It's easily searchable using the condo address.

The key to finding out about this in a condo is to get to know your neighbours, report possible rentals (quite tricky to prove but without reporting to management nothing can happen) and for the management to continue to send out notices regarding this issue.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 22, 2011
6477 posts
6448 upvotes
Toronto
joepipe wrote: good now Toronto needs to start heavy fines.... peoples lives are getting screwed by Airbnb
What do you mean I thought you said condo prices were crashing?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 22, 2011
6477 posts
6448 upvotes
Toronto
Ironic that of all the listings the one who got fined isn't an owner, it was a tenant. Probably why the condo corp didn't mind suing, no one cares about the person who isn't even an owner.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
1902 posts
1964 upvotes
Toronto
mazerbeaner wrote: What do you mean I thought you said condo prices were crashing?
go ahead and buy one if you're so confident....
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
10298 posts
6552 upvotes
Edmonton
mazerbeaner wrote: Ironic that of all the listings the one who got fined isn't an owner, it was a tenant. Probably why the condo corp didn't mind suing, no one cares about the person who isn't even an owner.
There was three people fined. In one case, a tenant and owner were fined for $37,000. In the other case, it was a tenant alone fined for $16,000.

Fun part is that in the case of the owner being told to cough up the money, a lien (or the equivalent in QC) can be placed on their unit if they don't pay up. Not sure about the judgement against the tenants.

C
Deal Fanatic
Feb 22, 2011
6477 posts
6448 upvotes
Toronto
joepipe wrote: go ahead and buy one if you're so confident....
I did, Toronto Pinnacle East :)
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
1902 posts
1964 upvotes
Toronto
mazerbeaner wrote: I did, Toronto Pinnacle East :)
hope you enjoy whats coming to the airbnb next door to you... now tell me again why condos are so awesome and toronto is so great ...lmao

Deal Fanatic
Feb 22, 2011
6477 posts
6448 upvotes
Toronto
joepipe wrote: hope you enjoy whats coming to the airbnb next door to you... now tell me again why condos are so awesome and toronto is so great ...lmao
I'm not sure I understand your point? Any city with murders is not great? Doesn't change that I want to live in Toronto, same with millions of others. If you don't like it you are free to live elsewhere.