Careers

Beginner learning how to code (NFT bidding)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 28th, 2021 10:31 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2003
4037 posts
826 upvotes

Beginner learning how to code (NFT bidding)

Hello!

I've recently been dabbling in the NFT space and want to learn how to code a bit so I can automate some bidding on the Opensea.io NFT marketplace.

I'm a complete noob to coding, but want to try to learn. My background is in mech eng, but I'm ok with putting in the hours.

I've been googling, but the space is so new that there's not really any resources on where to start. Anyone have any recommendations on which language to learn first?

Thanks!!!
7 replies
Aug 25, 2021
2 posts
1 upvote
cooltown
For web automation I think using python with selenium would be good. If you already know the basics of python I recommend watching the first three of these videos just to give you an idea of selenium automation. Since you are a complete beginner to programming then you probably wont be able to automate super effectively right away but if you keep practicing and learning about web scraping tools then at some point you should be good.
Oct 8, 2016
63 posts
73 upvotes
There's a rather famous textbook used for introductory programming courses called Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs. The original text used a dialect of Lisp as the programming language of instruction but the text has since been updated to include versions where Python and JavaScript are used. There are also recordings of some of the lectures presented by the authors on MIT OpenCourseware if you want to follow along with the original text.

While not necessarily a primer on any particular programming language, the text is more an introduction to the fundamental principles of programming and would serve you well. Once you've become familiar with one programming language, learning another isn't too difficult.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2003
4037 posts
826 upvotes
CoolScooter wrote: For web automation I think using python with selenium would be good. If you already know the basics of python I recommend watching the first three of these videos just to give you an idea of selenium automation. Since you are a complete beginner to programming then you probably wont be able to automate super effectively right away but if you keep practicing and learning about web scraping tools then at some point you should be good.
Thank you!!! I think this might be a great starting point! I'm a complete noob, so I might have to start with Python in general first. Really appreciate the guidance!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2003
4037 posts
826 upvotes
ChefPagpag wrote: There's a rather famous textbook used for introductory programming courses called Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs. The original text used a dialect of Lisp as the programming language of instruction but the text has since been updated to include versions where Python and JavaScript are used. There are also recordings of some of the lectures presented by the authors on MIT OpenCourseware if you want to follow along with the original text.

While not necessarily a primer on any particular programming language, the text is more an introduction to the fundamental principles of programming and would serve you well. Once you've become familiar with one programming language, learning another isn't too difficult.
Thanks! Took a look and also sounds like an excellent resource. Looks like there's a web version available from MIT website which is cool since it's free :)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6400 posts
6833 upvotes
Toronto
Beginner coding for an NFT bidding automation dream. I can't think of any way that could go wrong.

(Do learn basic coding, but perhaps choose some lower risk ventures for your initial inexperienced phase.)
Si Tacuisses, Philosophus Mansisses
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2017
1068 posts
1183 upvotes
hoob wrote: Beginner coding for an NFT bidding automation dream. I can't think of any way that could go wrong.

(Do learn basic coding, but perhaps choose some lower risk ventures for your initial inexperienced phase.)
Welp I guess the top is near
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2003
4037 posts
826 upvotes
hoob wrote: Beginner coding for an NFT bidding automation dream. I can't think of any way that could go wrong.

Doesn't seem to risky to me.