Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2017
1431 posts
1271 upvotes
Edmonton, AB

Beginning in 3 different stages + help with ETF's

Seeing if my plan makes any remote sense. I'm 28 and I'm using Questrade with $30k to invest which I divided in to 3 stages. Possibly $50k HELOC as well. No kids, no debt other then mortgage, and a 5-10k cushion I try to keep as a cash float. I started making a web/sticky note wall with every little thing I pick up along the way.

Stage 1: Make a messy basket of stocks with 10k. Check. I have NIO, VRYYF, AAPL, T.TO. I bought 1 share of GME @140 as an experiment. NOK/BB as well but also because I like them and they have a future. Its all over the place, and a lot of stocks I'm interested in I had to pass up on because they are at too much of a high for my liking.

Next stage I'm moving another 10k pretty soon to ETF's, 3 or 4 of them. I'm really liking the CAD version of ARK's. And that it is free to buy ETF's with Questrade. Plus remaining in CAD to keep it simple. Just waiting for a good access point, or is now as good of time as any to pick up some ARK-type funds?

I'll be doing more research until my 3rd stage, and waiting until some time in March to see how the market plays out. Meanwhile monitoring my Stage 1 stocks and learning from mistakes.

As a side project I dove in to BTC via ShakePay and put my first $100 in which is now up to $165. Plus Shakin' once a day for $0.25cad worth of "sats" so $7ish cad worth of btc a month they toss me. Hoping to average in & ride the cryptotrain.

Later on IF I'm doing good, I'm thinking of playing around with my 50k HELOC. Low rate plus its tax deductible due to investment purposes if I'm reading in to it right?
1 reply
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1569 posts
1963 upvotes
tehwegz wrote: Stage 1: Make a messy basket of stocks with 10k. Check. I have NIO, VRYYF, AAPL, T.TO. I bought 1 share of GME @140 as an experiment. NOK/BB as well but also because I like them and they have a future. Its all over the place, and a lot of stocks I'm interested in I had to pass up on because they are at too much of a high for my liking.
Why? What makes you think you can beat the market? Unless you do this professionally, picking individual stocks is little better than gambling.

If you insist on doing this, go with Wealthsimple Trade, since they let you trade Canadian stocks for free. You paid $4.95 to buy that one share of GME and you're going to pay another $4.95 when you sell it. Even if GME weren't a horrible stock, it would've had to gain over 7% just for you to break even on trading fees.

If you're going to buy US stocks, do you have USD or are you doing Norbert's gambit? If neither, Questrade is charging you 1.5% or 2% (I forget which) to change currencies. This may not sound like a ton, but it adds up.
tehwegz wrote: Next stage I'm moving another 10k pretty soon to ETF's, 3 or 4 of them. I'm really liking the CAD version of ARK's. And that it is free to buy ETF's with Questrade. Plus remaining in CAD to keep it simple. Just waiting for a good access point, or is now as good of time as any to pick up some ARK-type funds?
Which ETFs? Not all are created equal and many are riskier than others, especially for a new investor.