Shopping Discussion

Being RFDers we are all about getting good buys ...

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2020 8:20 am
Tags:
[OP]
Penalty Box
Nov 22, 2013
2174 posts
1299 upvotes
Sarnia

Being RFDers we are all about getting good buys ...

Being RFDers we are all about getting good buys and so I am sure at times people have cringed at what people they know or don't know have paid for items. I have not 100% confirmed something that makes me want to barf all over the place but I think my daughter (21 and raised to understand the value of a dollar) paid $1k more for her laptop to be pink. Yes it has some cheap pink purse and mouse that comes with it but worth $1k more than even better spec laptops? Anyway I am traumatized at this point and I wondered if others have stories they want to share. Let us have this be the shopping therapy thread.
52 replies
Jr. Member
Nov 25, 2018
101 posts
31 upvotes
LetsMakeADeal2013 wrote: Being RFDers we are all about getting good buys and so I am sure at times people have cringed at what people they know or don't know have paid for items. I have not 100% confirmed something that makes me want to barf all over the place but I think my daughter (21 and raised to understand the value of a dollar) paid $1k more for her laptop to be pink. Yes it has some cheap pink purse and mouse that comes with it but worth $1k more than even better spec laptops? Anyway I am traumatized at this point and I wondered if others have stories they want to share. Let us have this be the shopping therapy thread.
I guess she can’t do a return since it’s customized?
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10975 posts
2088 upvotes
Toronto
LetsMakeADeal2013 wrote: Being RFDers we are all about getting good buys and so I am sure at times people have cringed at what people they know or don't know have paid for items. I have not 100% confirmed something that makes me want to barf all over the place but I think my daughter (21 and raised to understand the value of a dollar) paid $1k more for her laptop to be pink. Yes it has some cheap pink purse and mouse that comes with it but worth $1k more than even better spec laptops? Anyway I am traumatized at this point and I wondered if others have stories they want to share. Let us have this be the shopping therapy thread.
At the end of the day it's her money. Why lose sleep over it?
[OP]
Penalty Box
Nov 22, 2013
2174 posts
1299 upvotes
Sarnia
LeoL62707 wrote: I guess she can’t do a return since it’s customized?
Not thinking she would even want to return it. She is 21 and on her own and can do her own thing so no dad stepping in here and squashing this. Also it is not customized but just some overpriced crap that maybe some celebrity that she likes uses. To me it seems like some sort of status item possibly. Let me link ...

https://www.thesource.ca/en-ca/computer ... /108089247
[OP]
Penalty Box
Nov 22, 2013
2174 posts
1299 upvotes
Sarnia
XtremeModder wrote: At the end of the day it's her money. Why lose sleep over it?
Are you a parent? You don't want to see your kids however old they are hurt themselves whether it be in the wallet or whatever. As for losing sleep over it I haven't had the chance yet. Also do you build pcs yourself? Also do you know what it is like to be a techy and not have people listen to you / come to you at times? Thank goodness my son trusts me with what I did for him in the past and what I would do for him in the future. Anyway I hope the purse included with the laptop is of some really good quality. If anyone can let me know it would be appreciated.

Finally ... the reason I created this thread ... was to have a release so I don't lose sleep over it as you put it. Also gives others and me to share stories and even laugh at times about it.
Jr. Member
Nov 25, 2018
101 posts
31 upvotes
Seems to be an ok spec... but that pink hurts my eye
[OP]
Penalty Box
Nov 22, 2013
2174 posts
1299 upvotes
Sarnia
LeoL62707 wrote: Seems to be an ok spec... but that pink hurts my eye
The spec is ok but you can get that spec (close to it or better than it) than one pays for this silly combo. It is all about the pink for her and she said that much in a short message on Facebook in chat with me. LOL! : S

Anyway hoping to hear fellow RFDers stories and stop talking about my trauma. Misery loves company.

PS: 2 dislikes so far have to be people who bought this laptop or they just plain love hating on me on here.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10975 posts
2088 upvotes
Toronto
LetsMakeADeal2013 wrote: Are you a parent? You don't want to see your kids however old they are hurt themselves whether it be in the wallet or whatever. As for losing sleep over it I haven't had the chance yet. Also do you build pcs yourself? Also do you know what it is like to be a techy and not have people listen to you / come to you at times? Thank goodness my son trusts me with what I did for him in the past and what I would do for him in the future. Anyway I hope the purse included with the laptop is of some really good quality. If anyone can let me know it would be appreciated.

Finally ... the reason I created this thread ... was to have a release so I don't lose sleep over it as you put it. Also gives others and me to share stories and even laugh at times about it.
I will never be a parent.

Yes I build pcs, I also do board level repairs with several thousand dollars worth of equipment.

If people don't listen to my advice or recommendations I say ok cool and move on.

Does it hurt the wallet that much?

I find it hard to believe a different colour would be $1000 more but if it's true then whatever. People buy macs under specd for several thousand dollars and it doesn't bother me at all.

I was not one of those who down voted.


Edit: just checked the price and I'm not sure where your seeing a $1000 difference.

With the no sale pricing from what I see it's a $100 difference.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 1, 2015
1554 posts
916 upvotes
NOYB
https://www.amazon.ca/review/R3CRHCGVIJ ... B084V97TVZ

https://www.amazon.ca/review/R2SPNNQ60I ... B084V97TVZ

Are you finding it a little bit cuter now? :D

It seems the thing that bothers you is cause you're her father who wants to care about her

But she has her own values as an individual. This laptop may be overpriced but it makes her happy and is thus an intangible benefit.
Even if it's not the wisest purchase, she likely makes better choices than you in something else.
*Zoomer + VoIP.ms user*


🖕 to the self righteous double standard fascist POS on this forum.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Nov 22, 2013
2174 posts
1299 upvotes
Sarnia
XtremeModder wrote:
I find it hard to believe a different colour would be $1000 more but if it's true then whatever. People buy macs under specd for several thousand dollars and it doesn't bother me at all.

Edit: just checked the price and I'm not sure where your seeing a $1000 difference.

With the no sale pricing from what I see it's a $100 difference.
You can get a same spec laptop or close to it or better in some ways for $1000 less. Check out laptops on Best Buy for instance. I found many I would pick over it. So yes basically she is paying $1000 for it to be pink. No reason to make stuff like this up.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Nov 22, 2013
2174 posts
1299 upvotes
Sarnia
Got to say I think people also missed the point of this thread as it was to be something more than just talking about what I brought up. 6 dislikes probably for the wrong reasons. I honestly can't believe people do not want a place to post about things similar to what I was talking about.
Sr. Member
Dec 8, 2009
578 posts
574 upvotes
XtremeModder wrote: At the end of the day it's her money. Why lose sleep over it?
If she can afford it and it makes her happy I don't see why he would.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 14, 2005
13510 posts
2313 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Is this for real? Why would anyone spend $1000 more for a pink computer? Is she in a bipolar manic phase?
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Adversity is a growth opportunity. Change happens at the periphery.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jan 3, 2008
976 posts
267 upvotes
W.GTA
I just barf out my dinner looking at that laptop package, now I'm banking my head on the table. I can build a nice power desktop with that kind of money, I'm going to go sit on the toilet now before something comes out of the back end. LOL
Koodo/Public Mobile
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4581 posts
1062 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Hopefully it's just the pink laptop now, and not a marked up pink car that comes with a purse holder later...
[OP]
Penalty Box
Nov 22, 2013
2174 posts
1299 upvotes
Sarnia
Good news ....

While she wanted that laptop I got confirmation from my mom that my daughter did not pull the trigger on this. : ) Mentioned in my first post I had no confirmation but got it now and thankfully for whatever reason my daughter did not buy it.

So let us hear about others cringe stories since mine has ended ... for now ...
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10975 posts
2088 upvotes
Toronto
LetsMakeADeal2013 wrote: Got to say I think people also missed the point of this thread as it was to be something more than just talking about what I brought up. 6 dislikes probably for the wrong reasons. I honestly can't believe people do not want a place to post about things similar to what I was talking about.
Because there's something called consumer choice.

The point wasn't missed, clearly you are very controlling or critical of purchases in your family...

I feel like she's rebelling against your advice and I can somewhat see why...

Let the person buy what they want to buy... If she's got her priorities straight in life then let her buy what she wants. Just because you would have picked another model that you claim is just as good for $1000 less means nothing.

Note, a different model all together for $1000 less will definitely not be the same spec.

Note: just saw she didn't purchase, good because it was ugly as hell.

Hopefully she gets what she wants in the end.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 1, 2015
1554 posts
916 upvotes
NOYB
LetsMakeADeal2013 wrote: Good news ....

While she wanted that laptop I got confirmation from my mom that my daughter did not pull the trigger on this. : ) Mentioned in my first post I had no confirmation but got it now and thankfully for whatever reason my daughter did not buy it.

So let us hear about others cringe stories since mine has ended ... for now ...
Good for you lol

In some cultures parents can be really domineering toward their children but I don't think you are one of them.

I think it just so happens that this purchase is one you are opinionated about.

I can have arguments over shopping or other trivia with my family too but hopefully, we are all able to smile it away.
*Zoomer + VoIP.ms user*


🖕 to the self righteous double standard fascist POS on this forum.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Nov 22, 2013
2174 posts
1299 upvotes
Sarnia
XtremeModder wrote: Because there's something called consumer choice.

I feel like she's rebelling against your advice and I can somewhat see why...

Let the person buy what they want to buy... If she's got her priorities straight in life then let her buy what she wants. Just because you would have picked another model that you claim is just as good for $1000 less means nothing.

Note, a different model all together for $1000 less will definitely not be the same spec.
You kind of missed the point of this thread. I saw what you quoted and you totally missed the point. Also about her rebelling and you understanding why she might do this well do you do things just to piss people off? Not a great way to live life especially when it damages your wallet severely. LOL! Also about the spec do I really need to do the work for you? The laptop she was looking at had a worse graphics card than laptops $800 to $1K less. Also the cpu was matched by laptops $400 or more lower in cost. You clearly didn't look at anything related to the laptop she was looking at and what else is available.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10975 posts
2088 upvotes
Toronto
LetsMakeADeal2013 wrote: You kind of missed the point of this thread. I saw what you quoted and you totally missed the point. Also about her rebelling and you understanding why she might do this well do you do things just to piss people off? Not a great way to live life especially when it damages your wallet severely. LOL! Also about the spec do I really need to do the work for you? The laptop she was looking at had a worse graphics card than laptops $800 to $1K less. Also the cpu was matched by laptops $400 or more lower in cost. You clearly didn't look at anything related to the laptop she was looking at and what else is available.
You clearly don't understand that people have the freedom to purchase what they want either.

People make bad purchases every day. Don't let it bother you.

Top