Shopping Discussion

Being RFDers we are all about getting good buys ...

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2020 8:20 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2013
2275 posts
1374 upvotes
Sarnia
Please someone share something on topic to steer this in a different direction. Hoping to hear other experiences with things like this.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2013
2275 posts
1374 upvotes
Sarnia
XtremeModder wrote: You clearly don't understand that people have the freedom to purchase what they want either.

People make bad purchases every day. Don't let it bother you.
I understand what freedom is. You have the freedom to read things into what people say even if they haven't said anything exact to back your claim up. You really don't think I understand freedom? / rolls eyes
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1292 posts
1306 upvotes
I bought 2 PS5's for over retail from scalpers, does that count?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2013
2275 posts
1374 upvotes
Sarnia
HghSsociety wrote: I bought 2 PS5's for over retail from scalpers, does that count?
That counts. : S How much more over? Anyway hope you enjoy and well if you are going to pay more for a launch console you picked the right one.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1150 posts
467 upvotes
Toronto
LetsMakeADeal2013 wrote: Being RFDers we are all about getting good buys and so I am sure at times people have cringed at what people they know or don't know have paid for items. I have not 100% confirmed something that makes me want to barf all over the place but I think my daughter (21 and raised to understand the value of a dollar) paid $1k more for her laptop to be pink. Yes it has some cheap pink purse and mouse that comes with it but worth $1k more than even better spec laptops? Anyway I am traumatized at this point and I wondered if others have stories they want to share. Let us have this be the shopping therapy thread.
Young people ger suckered into this stuff because they have lots of disposable income and minimum expenses
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1292 posts
1306 upvotes
LetsMakeADeal2013 wrote: That counts. : S How much more over? Anyway hope you enjoy and well if you are going to pay more for a launch console you picked the right one.
$550 over for both units combined. One was for me, other is for my son for Xmas.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37240 posts
23245 upvotes
Center of Universe
I spent $10K on a mining rig at the height of the 1080ti price inflation, paying an average of $1100 per video card and now they are going for less than $500.

Gotta pay to play.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12111 posts
3061 upvotes
--
LetsMakeADeal2013 wrote: I understand what freedom is. You have the freedom to read things into what people say even if they haven't said anything exact to back your claim up. You really don't think I understand freedom? / rolls eyes
I was thinking, since I don't really care to search for it, show 2-3 notebook computers of that spec that are $1000 less that are not open box or refurbished. If it's true that they're that much cheaper then I'll be both impressed and shocked but I don't see it happening... Maybe if it was Apple.

Regardless of all of that. I totally understand the want to help people make informed decisions however sometimes it's better to let people make bad purchase decisions because sometimes that turns into a learning experience.

Believe me I've learned my lesson many times, with computers one is to never buy anything from HP, learned my lesson with cars, bank accounts, etc etc. Hurts the bank account but at least now I know, gambling when I was going through a horrible time in life was my biggest lesson ever...

My gf has an hp laptop provided by work that is about $2200, told her I had nothing but problems with HP. At the 12 month mark the gpu on it fried and it was replaced immediately but I still had to laugh about how it happened right at the time the warranty would end for a consumer.
Apr 1, 2004
507 posts
365 upvotes
ever think that you grew into the person you are and you had complete different values for money and things to buy when you were 21?

check in on her spending habits in 20 years (and she may have turned into you)
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2967 posts
2776 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
Honestly this thread has a bit of what sucks with RFD
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2019
1227 posts
1516 upvotes
GTA
Bought a $1700 laptop that surprised the friends/family I told. The friends/family I haven't told would definitely be surprised. I don't regret the purchase from 2 years ago, except for buying the 1 year warranty.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2020
1753 posts
3006 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
Anyone that spent hundreds of dollars ($200-$300) on a Daniel Wellington watch (Also include Diesel, Fossil, MVMT, etc).
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
6741 posts
5855 upvotes
I paid extra $1600 for color choice I wanted for my car. Only color without an extra charge was flat white
Mar 15, 2011
546 posts
179 upvotes
Toronto
Let's change the topic a little bit here.
I know people who don't belong to any loyalty programs and who avoid online shopping since you have to pay by credit cards and the reason is they don't want anything to be traced back to them or any company to know anything about them.
I asked them if they realize that the cost of credit cards is built into purchases and what they're missing out on by not being part of loyalty programs and they don't seem to care.
Does this make you cringe?
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2019
1227 posts
1516 upvotes
GTA
GreenFinGirl wrote: Let's change the topic a little bit here.
I know people who don't belong to any loyalty programs and who avoid online shopping since you have to pay by credit cards and the reason is they don't want anything to be traced back to them or any company to know anything about them.
I asked them if they realize that the cost of credit cards is built into purchases and what they're missing out on by not being part of loyalty programs and they don't seem to care.
I know a 30 something year old who also doesn't own a credit card. It's odd and I've judged them for it, but I guess it's not too surprising considering they have a hippie type of vibe to them.

Oh, they don't have a phone number... Just whatsapp calls and their landline. Now, that's cringe worthy! *facepalm

Edit: forgot to mention a part of why it's cringe worthy for me is because I have their family members, partners, friends call me to try and reach them. I'm the middleman! How embarrassing for me and everyone else involved! Thankfully, I've cut them out (for other reasons).
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9209 posts
2859 upvotes
London
I understand the logic, but if they are willing to pay extra to protect themselves from Loblaws knowing how much goat cheese they purchase, it's their prerogative.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2013
2275 posts
1374 upvotes
Sarnia
Makes me cringe a bit.
Oct 30, 2018
90 posts
92 upvotes
The laptop is questionable both spec-wise and visually. The Lenovo Legion 2060 was on sale for sub-1500 this BF IIRC, for example. Visually wise, there's nothing wrong with someone getting a pink laptop, but if all you care for is the colour rather than the laptop design itself, you might as well get a pink coloured skin.

However, certainly it's not the end of the world. As long as she isn't using it for CAD, 3d work or gaming, a 1650 max-q, while rather inefficient and outdated, is still going to breeze through casual browsing and streaming.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6538 posts
3582 upvotes
Toronto
Honestly, I'm okay with it. I'm okay with it because to me, the biggest wastes of money are when you buy something you don't really like or want, because it's "the smart choice". Specs aren't everything. Like sometimes you see people on RFD saying "why wouldn't you buy this at half the price when it gets you 90% of the way there???" and the answer is because I want something that gets me 100% of the way there without jury-rigging everything. The absolute biggest purchasing regrets for me are not the luxuries, they're the ones where it was cheaper than the alternative and I figured I could make do, or grow to like it, or that I wouldn't notice it wasn't what I really wanted after a while. If you can afford it, and you can find a good price for it, get what you really want.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13049 posts
4354 upvotes
Helicopter parent alert... Warning Warning!
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)