Shopping Discussion

Being RFDers we are all about getting good buys ...

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2020 8:20 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
2663 posts
3050 upvotes
Most people aren't sitting in front of RFD hot deal forum, waiting for that Lenovo price error happen. Not even fliping through flyers to see who has best deals.
Need laptop? Go to BestBuy and see what they have, done.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6680 posts
2406 upvotes
BC
StatsGuy wrote: I paid extra $1600 for color choice I wanted for my car. Only color without an extra charge was flat white
I think you mean solid white. Sounds like a Tesla Model 3 and you went for Midnight Silver or Deep Blue metallic.

In general, automotive colour choices are solid, metallic, pearlescent and more recently, matte for those that need something to match their intelligence.

But OTOH maybe matte is just as easy to touch up stone chips as a solid colour, so it could be a smart choice for a RFD'er seeking lowest cost of ownership.
Could be a bear to sell though when you want to move on.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6519 posts
3543 upvotes
Toronto
LetsMakeADeal2013 wrote: Also about her rebelling and you understanding why she might do this well do you do things just to piss people off?
At that age (or really, a little younger, but wouldn't have that much cash any younger), heck yeah. Absolutely in my late teens, knowing my parents disapproved of something but couldn't really do anything about it was definitely a plus. Not now, since I don't live at home, the relationship is completely different, and yeah, I've probably grown up some. But in my late teens, any chance I have to do something to say "my values are not your values", I'm taking it.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Nov 22, 2013
2261 posts
1367 upvotes
Sarnia
Manatus wrote: At that age (or really, a little younger, but wouldn't have that much cash any younger), heck yeah. Absolutely in my late teens, knowing my parents disapproved of something but couldn't really do anything about it was definitely a plus. Not now, since I don't live at home, the relationship is completely different, and yeah, I've probably grown up some. But in my late teens, any chance I have to do something to say "my values are not your values", I'm taking it.
I just don't get that mentality but hey I have never fit into society well. Doesn't mean that thinking is right though at any point in time.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Nov 22, 2013
2261 posts
1367 upvotes
Sarnia
sleath56 wrote: The laptop is questionable both spec-wise and visually. The Lenovo Legion 2060 was on sale for sub-1500 this BF IIRC, for example. Visually wise, there's nothing wrong with someone getting a pink laptop, but if all you care for is the colour rather than the laptop design itself, you might as well get a pink coloured skin.

However, certainly it's not the end of the world. As long as she isn't using it for CAD, 3d work or gaming, a 1650 max-q, while rather inefficient and outdated, is still going to breeze through casual browsing and streaming.
A $2k after tax laptop for casual browsing and streaming is ok? LOL! Oh my gawd.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Nov 22, 2013
2261 posts
1367 upvotes
Sarnia
Anyway was hoping others would share their stories instead of coming back to mine. Btw to finish off the story with my daughter well she didn't get this laptop and honestly want to believe common sense took over. I taught her the value of a dollar well. Also she did say that she liked the pink deal and all. I do get that even I get things that look good to me but I will not overpay for such a thing. That was my real problem with the item.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6519 posts
3543 upvotes
Toronto
LetsMakeADeal2013 wrote: I just don't get that mentality but hey I have never fit into society well. Doesn't mean that thinking is right though at any point in time.
Mine is actually the opposite. My parents are big proponents of buying the "best" and getting premium everything. Anything more than changing a lightbulb, they call the electrician/plumber/whoever out right away, it better be fixed on the spot. Need a new laptop? Buy the highest end one from the best brand. If the sales guy says this is the best one, that's the one we're getting.

So my rebellion was I'm not willing to pay someone $300 because the toilet doesn't flush properly, I'll watch youtube or get instructions elsewhere on the internet, order the part and try to fix it when I have the time to focus on it. Even after I got my own place, I would never let my mom know if anything wasn't working right, because guaranteed I'd be woken up the next morning by a service person who I didn't call. Heck there was one time I let slip that it was feeling pretty hot in the middle of summer, and I got home from work and there was an AC dude right there making sure that it was running right, because my mom had given him the key and told him to go do it. I'm probably on RFD out of rebellion, to be honest.

So yeah, rebellion, but also we're all a bunch of weirdly different people trying to fit into society.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12029 posts
3012 upvotes
Oshawa
LetsMakeADeal2013 wrote: What in the hell does that even mean?
It means you watch over, follow and judge your kids for everything. Making them eventually rebel and not talk to you later on in life.