Automotive

Is Belairdirect Auto Insurance is good ?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 5th, 2016 9:19 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 29, 2013
368 posts
348 upvotes
toronto

Is Belairdirect Auto Insurance is good ?

Hi,

I am getting a good Auto and home insurance premium from Belair, but never dealt with them. Anyone has a good or bad experience with them ? Currently with Johnson. Switching to Belair will give around 20% saving. Also getting reasonable premium from ALLSTATE around 10% saving. I live in Brampton and highest insurance in country. All companies have higher premium, any saving is great. But dont want to deal with bad service later. Thanks in advance for your input.
20 replies
Feb 8, 2009
172 posts
126 upvotes
I was with them for two years and didn't have any issues but when renewal time came they increased my rate by 35%. No claims, no changes, exact same coverage. Dropped them thereafter and moved to TD Meloche Monnex.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38213 posts
24392 upvotes
Center of Universe
Started off good, then started seeing yearly increases and dropped them like a bad habit.
Now I get quotes yearly and whoever has the best rate, I will switch out accordingly.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2008
8207 posts
6542 upvotes
I've been with them for about 13 years now across many vehicles. They've been the best rate by over $150 a month somehow and I've had several accident and windshield claims and 2 vehicles written off not at fault and they treated me well. They did however just get rid of their winter tire discount. If you have specific questions let me know.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8760 posts
2392 upvotes
No issues here, been with them for 10 years, been though 2 claims, painless.
[OP]
Jan 29, 2013
368 posts
348 upvotes
toronto
Thank you for the feedback.. :)
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2007
1005 posts
192 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I have been with them for 10+ years or so. I've never had an increase in my premiums, and they always go down each year (less so in recent years, but still a decrease). In my time with them I have had one speeding ticket for 10km over (though the police officer was certainly kind as he clocked me at 29km over), as well as two accidents where I have been rear-ended. No issues making the claims, and the agent confirmed while making my claim that they'd waive the deductibles both times. They are easy to contact to get information.

As for the winter tire discount being discontinued. I had thought this to be true as well after a recent call to get estimates on a new car. I had to make a correction to my account with them as they had reversed my first and middle name on the policy. They issued new documents correcting my name and the summary included the winter tire discount. I am not sure if those who previously had it keep it until they make changes to their policy or not.

To give you an idea on my premiums. I became a client of theirs early on after I started driving. My first two years were with two different insurers. The moment I switched to Belairdirect I started saving, and the deductions early on were significant once I hit the 5 years driving experience, with further discount after getting married and winter tires.
[OP]
Jan 29, 2013
368 posts
348 upvotes
toronto
Thank you for your feedback...I am with Johnson for 5 years , but premium is very same..gone up slightly but not down...and 4 yrear with TD before that. Never had any claim or ticket, so looks like I will be signing up with belair to save some $$.
Wood0209 wrote: I have been with them for 10+ years or so. I've never had an increase in my premiums, and they always go down each year (less so in recent years, but still a decrease). In my time with them I have had one speeding ticket for 10km over (though the police officer was certainly kind as he clocked me at 29km over), as well as two accidents where I have been rear-ended. No issues making the claims, and the agent confirmed while making my claim that they'd waive the deductibles both times. They are easy to contact to get information.

As for the winter tire discount being discontinued. I had thought this to be true as well after a recent call to get estimates on a new car. I had to make a correction to my account with them as they had reversed my first and middle name on the policy. They issued new documents correcting my name and the summary included the winter tire discount. I am not sure if those who previously had it keep it until they make changes to their policy or not.

To give you an idea on my premiums. I became a client of theirs early on after I started driving. My first two years were with two different insurers. The moment I switched to Belairdirect I started saving, and the deductions early on were significant once I hit the 5 years driving experience, with further discount after getting married and winter tires.
Oct 13, 2013
213 posts
124 upvotes
St Catharines
Been with them 9 years, never a problem had to file 1 claim went smooth. No premium increases and always get great customer service when I do have to call them. Recently just added home insurance as well with them giving me even a larger discount on both policies.
Feb 7, 2004
587 posts
407 upvotes
St Thomas
I actually went to Johnson from Belair. Belair is cheap at first but I had big increases every year with no claims. Then I had one hit and run claim and they gave me such a hassle over it. I got rid of them quick after that and Johnson saved me $1000/year with better coverage.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2011
5834 posts
1220 upvotes
aGincourt
Currently with belair, my 2nd insurance company. 1st company (Pembridge) raised my rates with tickets / accidents. Switched to belair which gave me a lower rate, and dropped the rate after a year as well.

Also belair took my word that I will be the only driver for my car (TD insurance wanted to send me forms to fill out for my family members to exclude them from driving my car). Also seems like belair has made a good transition towards internet service, while I feel a lot of other insurance companies are still doing most of their business by phone.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2003
15120 posts
1518 upvotes
Markham
Been with Belair a couple years now and my rates have gone up and down

Insurance in ONT is a scam
ShadowVlican
Aug 3, 2016
1 posts
I've been with them for just over a year. 5 weeks ago a taxi pulled out in front of me and I hit him. Clearly not my fault. They wrote my car off. Then they said they cannot verify the other guys insurance, which the police verified, and they wanted to keep my deductible till they did. I had to go to the police myself and do their legwork because they don't know how to pick up a phone. They police asked me why I am doing it. 5 weeks later they give me a small amount and in a couple of days I will loose the rental they gave me so I will no longer have any way of getting to work because they didn't leave me enough time to find another car. I still don't have the money and I don't have a car and in a few days I will no longer have a job because of a crash which was not my fault. This whole thing should have been cleared up in 3 days but it has taken them 5 weeks and I'm still F****d for a crash which was not my fault.
[b]If you are thinking of Belairdirect, avoid them like the plague.[/b]
If anyone else is reading this and this scenario sounds familiar then we may have a class action lawsuit. My attorney says it sounds like they are pulling an insurance scam to keep deductibles which is probably netting them hundreds of thousands.
I'm going back to the police tomorrow to tell them more about these scam artists.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6868 posts
2666 upvotes
BC
Can't offer anything on User776158's post, but just to get a handle on various insurance companies across Canada ........

Belairdirect is part of Intact Financial Corp. (IFC) which was formerly ING Financial. IFC also owns AXA, Allianz and Canadian Direct Insurance (which was formerly owned by Canadian Western Bank).

So they now have most of Canada covered.

Given the ING connection, it's not surprising that Belair was (I think) the first online/direct insurance company.

AFAIK Belair has fairly good customer reviews, but there will obviously be exceptions.

Whenever a company like IFC takes over competitors there are more or less bound to be some hiccups as the larger entity tries to use economies of scale to standardize or streamline operations.
Deal Guru
Sep 13, 2007
10644 posts
6013 upvotes
Toronto
I was with TD Meloche Monnex for 2 years but they rasied my premiums, called up Belairdirect for a quote which was cheaper. So i switched to Belairdirect.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5889 posts
2135 upvotes
Space
No issues with them either. However, they did raise my rates after the first year ( for no reason ). Shop around at every renewal and you'll be fine.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1476 posts
526 upvotes
Ottawa
User776158 wrote: This whole thing should have been cleared up in 3 days but it has taken them 5 weeks and I'm still F****d for a crash which was not my fault.
[b]If you are thinking of Belairdirect, avoid them like the plague.[/b]
You are lucky to wait only 5 weeks. Had two non fault claims with them. One took one and a half year, another took close to two years. Called them up pretty much every week during the two years, the claim person either didn't answer the call, or if she did answer the response to any question were always 'You will see'.

After the second claims I dropped them right away when it was renewal time.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1689 posts
402 upvotes
It's pointless to ask whether a company is 'good'. People will be paying different prices based on area, history, car etc. In general prices will go up or down, no one company can always decrease their prices.

In terms of claims, I've been with several companies and honestly, they're all the same.
Jul 9, 2014
128 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
I am with them now, had an not at fault accident last month and it went pretty smooth.

Although, I was in a rental for a month and had the tow company "miscommunicate" where to bring the car thus dragging it longer, I would say belair is ok to deal with.

I did call today and ask why my insurance was going up to 1411.00 from 1322.00 and they explained that comprehensive deductible automatically set to 500.00 instead of my previous 300.00 and I asked if winter tire was added on as discount and they told me no because last year they removed the discount, but this year they have it back due to the new legislation. All in all, I pay 5 dollars less this year for insurance with belair.
Aug 29, 2014
309 posts
32 upvotes
Thunder Bay, ON
No issues here just got my renewal went from 278 to 225 insuring an 03 ranger and a 15 versa note
2003 Ford Ranger Std Cab

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)