Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 6, 2015
226 posts
16 upvotes
Markham, ON

BELAIRDIRECT Quotes

I've recently used bellaitdirects online quote and typed in the Honda civic SI and accord AND the Nissan 350z. I planning to switch to belairdirect soon. Im 19 years old with a G2, i put down my info and it gave me quotes at 620$-650$ for the HONDA CIVIC AND ACCORD. While the Nissan was at 493$. Why is it so expensive to insure the Honda???
Is something wrong here? Why is the Z cheaper than accord and civic si? Btw, the model i put in is 2007 civic SI, 2011 accord and 2003 Z

Any input will be appreciated!
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9257 posts
1816 upvotes
Ontario
I'd call the broker and ask why the difference, could be just that they're rated different
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Aug 29, 2014
309 posts
32 upvotes
Thunder Bay, ON
Civics in general are always usually more expensive to insure (more accidents more theft etc) I can't believe how insanely high those quotes are but you as a 19 yr old with a g2 and probably never been insured I'm not surprised.
2003 Ford Ranger Std Cab
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2015
1486 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Jaimz2k wrote: Civics in general are always usually more expensive to insure (more accidents more theft etc) I can't believe how insanely high those quotes are but you as a 19 yr old with a g2 and probably never been insured I'm not surprised.
This.

When building insurance, one looks at the "expected" losses associated with that vehicle. If people driving Civics are getting into more accidents / claims per car than somebody driving Nissan 350Zs, then that will increase the cost to insure a Civic. Somewhat intuitively, one would believe that a 350Z driver is probably much more selective about where he/she drives the car and when, versus a Civic. The most egregious example I've seen, is same company, same driver, same record, same KMs, 2014 Jeep SRT vs 2010 Mazda 3... I'll let you guess which one is about 10% more expensive.

Personally, I think it's a flaw in the insurance industry. If you have 2 individuals (same record, driving habits, etc.), one owns a 350Z and the other owns a Civic, the expected losses in my view be higher in the Z, but because some Zs are garage queens, that brings the average down. It's almost as if they're getting implicit driver habits based on car that is owned, maybe that's the best way to do that?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)