Hot Deals

[Bell] Bell 4K HDR Android Box $79 or Free with Alt TV

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2020 10:29 am
Sep 5, 2018
118 posts
90 upvotes
audit13 wrote: I finally had a chance to check out the streaming rates for the Bell Fibe and Crave app on an Apple TV 4K.

I attached two screenshots (1 for each source) and the bit rates. As I suspected, Fibe TV was 720 and Crave was 1080.

I did not check all Fibe TV stations so there may me some that stream higher than 720.

The image off Fibe TV looks a bit soft at times but Crave looked pretty good. I'm using both apps with a 4k TV.
Thanks

I agree. It seems Apple TV automatically upscale the input as I was so confused last weekend seeing 4k or 1080p content from Alt TV. But sometimes it takes a while to upscale or something because I would still see some 720 content for the first 1 minute or two.

Another quick question, sometime the Apple TV would give me the warning about your cable is not HDCP 2.2 compatible (it is 2.2 and it worked before) on movie channels, such as show time and movie time. Does it happen to you? I just simply restart app and try again. It would go away which sounds peculiar.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1664 posts
894 upvotes
Durham
They are not advertising it as 4k with their channels. If you look properly, they advertise Netflix with stunning 4k HDR.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16560 posts
2983 upvotes
Toronto
st901202 wrote: Another quick question, sometime the Apple TV would give me the warning about your cable is not HDCP 2.2 compatible (it is 2.2 and it worked before) on movie channels, such as show time and movie time. Does it happen to you? I just simply restart app and try again. It would go away which sounds peculiar.
I used to see that message with some cheap 4k cables from eBay. I switched all of my device cables to Amazon Basics 2 metre 4k cables about 3 years ago and have never seen that message again.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16560 posts
2983 upvotes
Toronto
Kkhan15 wrote: They are not advertising it as 4k with their channels. If you look properly, they advertise Netflix with stunning 4k HDR.
Google Movies will also play in 4k HDR.
Sep 5, 2018
118 posts
90 upvotes
audit13 wrote: I used to see that message with some cheap 4k cables from eBay. I switched all of my device cables to Amazon Basics 2 metre 4k cables about 3 years ago and have never seen that message again.
That is weird. I bought the cable from Costco and it is rated for 8k video content too...
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16560 posts
2983 upvotes
Toronto
st901202 wrote: That is weird. I bought the cable from Costco and it is rated for 8k video content too...
That is strange. All I can suggest is try another cable such as the Amazon Basics which are value-priced.

I'm not a big proponent of expensive cables that are supposed to give you dramatically better sound and picture. I've compared cheap and expensive cables in my system and could not see or hear a difference.
Sep 5, 2018
118 posts
90 upvotes
audit13 wrote: That is strange. All I can suggest is try another cable such as the Amazon Basics which are value-priced.

I'm not a big proponent of expensive cables that are supposed to give you dramatically better sound and picture. I've compared cheap and expensive cables in my system and could not see or hear a difference.
Appreciate your help!

Have a good day!
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16560 posts
2983 upvotes
Toronto
st901202 wrote: Appreciate your help!

Have a good day!
You are welcome.

I hope you are able to easily resolve the issue.
May 12, 2009
301 posts
611 upvotes
st901202 wrote:
Another quick question, sometime the Apple TV would give me the warning about your cable is not HDCP 2.2 compatible (it is 2.2 and it worked before) on movie channels, such as show time and movie time. Does it happen to you? I just simply restart app and try again. It would go away which sounds peculiar.
According to HowToGeek, to get rid of this error message you should use an HDMI splitter that ignores HDCP requests: https://www.howtogeek.com/208917/htg-ex ... to-fix-it/

I ran into this problem while trying to stream live TV from the Fibe TV app from my Galaxy S8 to my TV via USB-C to HDMI adapter. Stupid app won't let me stream to a Chromecast either because I am not on Bell Fibe internet (or perhaps because I don't use their router?). I have Bell satellite subscription and live TV works on Android phones and on iPad. All I want is to stream to a third TV, as I already am maxed out with two satellite receivers.

So I was wondering if the Streamer box will allow live TV streaming if using a different ISP than Bell Fibe internet. Anybody can confirm?
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2005
1289 posts
71 upvotes
Montreal
The Fibe TV 4K is just for show. SportsNets and SportsOne will often have 4K content but for TSN 4K forget it.

They should at the very least upgrade the sports channels to 1080P...
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2008
2264 posts
299 upvotes
Kevcorm wrote: My main use is large 4k files on plex and iptv, thats why I really need the power.
What IPTV service do you use?
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2005
1374 posts
294 upvotes
st901202 wrote: Is it just me? Alt TV only has 720p? Even with Apple TV? It is very blurry or pixelate for me. The Bell sales told me it was going to be HD and 720p is NOT HD!!!
The bell Alt TV streams are definitely lower resolution than other streaming services — that or maybe it depends on the streaming stick/box you are using? I use a Firestick. Here is a review I wrote on Amazon:

Bell Alt TV subscribers use this app exclusively to get their cable and Bell Fibe Cable subscribers can also use the app instead of their cable box. 2 years ago when I had a full cable set up I found myself using the app much more often as it integrates perfectly with a Firestick. With that said, be aware that the streams are CLEARLY lower quality/resolution than what you will get through your cable box.

I was subscribed to STACK TV for many months — the streams offered were extremely high resolution with lots of on demand content for each station. The Bell TV app on demand content is a joke in comparison when looking at HGTV, Food Network, etc.

Stream quality of each channel is hit or miss - CTV for example is clearly higher than the HGTV stream. HGTV on Stack was a high resolution but on Bell app appears soft and muted. I am unsure if this is a Firestick issue or Bell.

What the Bell app does do right - it’s SUPER cheap (in my case $10 for basic and $10 for the Premium add on). $20 bucks for effectively a full cable package is a great deal as long as you can accept some of the streams are not going to be up to Netflix, Prime or Stack TV quality.

The app integrates flawlessly on Firestick (and I’m assuming lots of other stream devices too) — allowing you to keep all your content centralized under your preferred UI.

Overall I think it’s not a bad deal as it includes basic Crave too. I cord cut in 2000 and have subbed to cable on and off when crazy deals come up. It’s been awhile since the last time and I can’t get over all the commercials — there are waaaaay more commercials than before (not bells fault). Not sure if I’ll keep this, I really loved the On Demand component with Stack TV with way shorter commercials and far more focused on Demand content for specialty channels like HGTV.

I do think Bell has it priced right at 10 bucks for basic and 10 bucks for the specialty add ons. My main complaint is the streams feeling way lower quality than other streaming companies and the lack of on demand content.

——————-
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9649 posts
1155 upvotes
GTA
I was waiting to see if Prime Days deal on Amazon Firestick 4k but it does not look like they are on sale this time around based on the preview post on the home page.

A family member was looking for another FTV 4k as a secondary box on another TV for their Bell Fibe but maybe I will direct them to this vs. the Firestick at full retail.
Jan 14, 2020
33 posts
23 upvotes
Viper98 wrote: I wish Bell offered something better than 50mbps for $70 in my area
Don’t complain. I am paying $160 for 100 Mbps and TV because that’s all they have in my area. I tried to switch to Rogers but them not having an app on Apple TV for watching TV channels is a no-go for me. Unless recently they have released such app.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
6726 posts
3135 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Don't buy WiFi only box. Get a box with Ethernet.
WiFi steaming is just crap.
You can get a USB to Ethernet adapter, but it is better to get one with Ethernet port to begin with.
Also Bluetooth remote is bad. Cannot turn on or off a lot of tv.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine