Hot Deals

[Bell] Bell 4K HDR Android Box $79 or Free with Alt TV

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2020 10:29 am
Jul 31, 2020
258 posts
250 upvotes
audit13 wrote: I love mine. Have you tried it?

Not sure I'd pay $80 but I would pay $50.
Im quite fussy, im used to using a shield or apple tv 4k.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2005
1909 posts
655 upvotes
Montréal, QC
Viper98 wrote: I wish Bell offered something better than 50mbps for $70 in my area
Like 25Mbps for 85$ ?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16597 posts
3037 upvotes
Toronto
Kevcorm wrote: Im quite fussy, im used to using a shield or apple tv 4k.
I have a Firestick 4k, Roku Streaming Stick+ 4k, Apple TV 4K, Shield 2017, and Bell Streamer.

They are all nice and they all have their pros and cons. Personally, I prefer the simple GUI of the Streamer and Roku over the Firestick.

My Firestick, Roku, and Shield are siting unused at the moment because the Apple TV and a HTPC are connected to my main TV and the Streamer is in the bedroom.

If I didn't get my Apple TV from the DirecTV deal, I'd probably stick with the Shield and Firestick.

All of these devices look good on an OLED.
Jul 31, 2020
258 posts
250 upvotes
audit13 wrote: I have a Firestick 4k, Roku Streaming Stick+ 4k, Apple TV 4K, Shield 2017, and Bell Streamer.

They are all nice and they all have their pros and cons. Personally, I prefer the simple GUI of the Streamer and Roku over the Firestick.

My Firestick, Roku, and Shield are siting unused at the moment because the Apple TV and a HTPC are connected to my main TV and the Streamer is in the bedroom.

If I didn't get my Apple TV from the DirecTV deal, I'd probably stick with the Shield and Firestick.

All of these devices look good on an OLED.
My main use is large 4k files on plex and iptv, thats why I really need the power.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16597 posts
3037 upvotes
Toronto
Kevcorm wrote: My main use is large 4k files on plex and iptv, thats why I really need the power.
For 4k file playback, I use a dedicated HTPC to get HD audio (DTS-HD MA, TrueHD) and frame-rate matching.

Playing back full-size 4k files off a local USB drive doesn't require a lot of power from what I have tell based on my limited time with a MiBox3. Maybe streaming over a network requires a faster CPU?

I'm going to test out the streamer for HD audio when I have a chance.
Mar 7, 2020
9 posts
4 upvotes
A friend of mine worked on this at Bell, considering its cheaper than the chomecast Ultra, f you want 4K this is the move.
Aug 14, 2011
129 posts
44 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I already have ALT TV for about a year now. I'm not on a contract. You think they'll give me the box if I sign on for 6 months?
Dec 5, 2005
840 posts
504 upvotes
Cambridge,Ontario
maximum2326 wrote: I already have ALT TV for about a year now. I'm not on a contract. You think they'll give me the box if I sign on for 6 months?
read the terms and conditions I posted back on page 3

I would guess it depends on what level of Alt tv you currently have
Aug 13, 2020
61 posts
127 upvotes
They do non-unlimited internet packages in 2020? If you didn’t have unlimited internet, I feel like it’s just in your best interest not to, which kind of makes sense. You should be able to manually override though.

Weird they would even sell you Alt TV If it would just eat up all your internet
Aug 13, 2020
61 posts
127 upvotes
They do non-unlimited internet packages in 2020? If you didn’t have unlimited internet, I feel like it’s just in your best interest not to, which kind of makes sense. You should be able to manually override though.

Weird they would even sell you Alt TV If it would just eat up all your internet
Aug 14, 2011
129 posts
44 upvotes
Richmond Hill
yyz64 wrote: read the terms and conditions I posted back on page 3

I would guess it depends on what level of Alt tv you currently have
Sounds good, I already have premium. I'll check with them and see if I'm eligible. Hopefully they dont screw up my billing.
Nov 22, 2006
411 posts
165 upvotes
Trois-Rivières
Are the Bell and Netflix buttons programmable for other apps ?
Jul 31, 2020
258 posts
250 upvotes
audit13 wrote: For 4k file playback, I use a dedicated HTPC to get HD audio (DTS-HD MA, TrueHD) and frame-rate matching.

Playing back full-size 4k files off a local USB drive doesn't require a lot of power from what I have tell based on my limited time with a MiBox3. Maybe streaming over a network requires a faster CPU?

I'm going to test out the streamer for HD audio when I have a chance.
I find slower boxes show signs of struggle and skip frames or just take a while to start up, especially when seeking. For some people it might be ok, but I want it perfect.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16597 posts
3037 upvotes
Toronto
Kevcorm wrote: I find slower boxes show signs of struggle and skip frames or just take a while to start up, especially when seeking. For some people it might be ok, but I want it perfect.
I just tried Kodi 18.8 on the Streamer and it starts quick. Watched about 20 minutes of Skyfall 4k HDR (full rip) and playback was perfect. No dropped frames at 23.976.

This box only supports DTS and DD. To get full HD audio, I decoded the DTS-HD MA track to 5.1 48/24 PCM, remuxed the movie into mkv, and it played back the uncompressed pcm audio with no issues. I wouldn't normally do this and only did it as a test.
Last edited by audit13 on Aug 24th, 2020 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.