Hot Deals

[Bell] Bell 4K HDR Android Box $79 or Free with Alt TV

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2020 10:29 am
Dec 5, 2005
840 posts
504 upvotes
Cambridge,Ontario
Mlj223 wrote: They do non-unlimited internet packages in 2020? If you didn’t have unlimited internet, I feel like it’s just in your best interest not to, which kind of makes sense. You should be able to manually override though.

Weird they would even sell you Alt TV If it would just eat up all your internet

Apparently you need to have an unlimited package

"Select Fibe Internet packages: Alt TV requires a subscription to an eligible Fibe Internet package starting with Fibe 15 which includes download speeds of up to 15 Mbps, upload speeds of up to 10 Mbps and unlimited monthly usage. "
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2313 posts
316 upvotes
Burnaby
good to know.
ASUS RAMPAGE II EXTREME; i7-950; GTX 560; 16G Mem; 2TB HD; 24x DVD-RAM;
Jan 2, 2019
16 posts
1 upvote
Montreal
Has anyone tried it out?
My Fibe TV app on my TV does not display 4K, I bet it's not even 1080p. Watching sports on a good TV with the app makes it useless to have a good TV.

Will this box fix their issue? And if so, why isn't my brand new TV able to achieve the same levels?

I'm going to call Bell and complain about it. Anyone have the same issues?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16587 posts
2998 upvotes
Toronto
triples636343355377530000 wrote: Has anyone tried it out?
My Fibe TV app on my TV does not display 4K, I bet it's not even 1080p. Watching sports on a good TV with the app makes it useless to have a good TV.

Will this box fix their issue? And if so, why isn't my brand new TV able to achieve the same levels?

I'm going to call Bell and complain about it. Anyone have the same issues?
You have the Fibe app on your TV?

Did you set the resolution to 4k in the streamer settings?

Bell has little native 4k programming. Same for Rogers. Any 4k programs are heavily compressed.
Jan 2, 2019
16 posts
1 upvote
Montreal
Thanks for the quick reply.

So the Fibe TV app doesn't have that setting.
It's Standard 850Mb/hr, Good 1.1Gb/hr, Better 2.1Gb/hr, Best 3Gb/hr.

A quick search tells me 4K resolution takes 7+Gb/hr.
They are far off for 4K.

It seems they are trying to sell 4K without even having a 4K signal. Just like how they sell 1.5Gpbs internet while their modem can barely handle 1Gpbs.
Jul 31, 2020
249 posts
247 upvotes
triples636343355377530000 wrote: Thanks for the quick reply.

So the Fibe TV app doesn't have that setting.
It's Standard 850Mb/hr, Good 1.1Gb/hr, Better 2.1Gb/hr, Best 3Gb/hr.

A quick search tells me 4K resolution takes 7+Gb/hr.
They are far off for 4K.

It seems they are trying to sell 4K without even having a 4K signal. Just like how they sell 1.5Gpbs internet while their modem can barely handle 1Gpbs.
there is a lot more to data size than the resolution alone,so it could be 4K even if the quality could be much better elsewhere. Mind you I think the app is probably maxed out at 1080p.
Dec 5, 2002
278 posts
81 upvotes
audit13 wrote: I have a Firestick 4k, Roku Streaming Stick+ 4k, Apple TV 4K, Shield 2017, and Bell Streamer.
I appreciate your feedback on these devices.

Is 8GB storage a significant limitation on the Bell streamer?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16587 posts
2998 upvotes
Toronto
sstackho wrote: I appreciate your feedback on these devices.

I don't think so unless you load a lot of apps. If you use an OTG cable, you could use a flash key as adopted storage from what saw in the setting when I attached a flash key.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2012
3604 posts
4097 upvotes
Toronto
audit13 wrote: I have a Firestick 4k, Roku Streaming Stick+ 4k, Apple TV 4K, Shield 2017, and Bell Streamer.

They are all nice and they all have their pros and cons. Personally, I prefer the simple GUI of the Streamer and Roku over the Firestick.

My Firestick, Roku, and Shield are siting unused at the moment because the Apple TV and a HTPC are connected to my main TV and the Streamer is in the bedroom.

If I didn't get my Apple TV from the DirecTV deal, I'd probably stick with the Shield and Firestick.

All of these devices look good on an OLED.
In a similar situation like you, use the Apple TV in the living room and love bell fibe on it. Thinking about getting the streamer in the second bedroom, seems simple and cheap.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16587 posts
2998 upvotes
Toronto
Nexzen wrote: In a similar situation like you, use the Apple TV in the living room and love bell fibe on it. Thinking about getting the streamer in the second bedroom, seems simple and cheap.
What I like about the Streamer remote is the bigger size and the big buttons for direct access to Netflix, FibeTV, and apps screen,

I was only using the Firestick 4k to access FibeTV and found the Firestick remote too tiny and the Amazon GUI to be kind of cluttered.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
9699 posts
2232 upvotes
Winnipeg
sstackho wrote: I appreciate your feedback on these devices.

Yes if your using alot of apps thats scrapes meta data and has cache like kodi. On the firestick 4k I let it go becuase its a few years old now. But a new model released today with everyone running their own streaming service now. 8gb is way to small without available storage to be added. Its stupid too small.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2012
3604 posts
4097 upvotes
Toronto
audit13 wrote: What I like about the Streamer remote is the bigger size and the big buttons for direct access to Netflix, FibeTV, and apps screen,

I was only using the Firestick 4k to access FibeTV and found the Firestick remote too tiny and the Amazon GUI to be kind of cluttered.
How is the speed diff between the Apple TV and Streamer? in terms of the UI.