[Bell] Bell 4K HDR Android Box $79 or Free with Alt TV

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2020 10:29 am
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16564 posts
2985 upvotes
Toronto
Nexzen wrote: How is the speed diff between the Apple TV and Streamer? in terms of the UI.
I find the ATV 4k to be faster. This is not to say the Streamer is slow because it feels no slower than my Firestick 4k.
Sep 5, 2018
118 posts
90 upvotes
Is it just me? Alt TV only has 720p? Even with Apple TV? It is very blurry or pixelate for me. The Bell sales told me it was going to be HD and 720p is NOT HD!!!
Aug 15, 2009
304 posts
79 upvotes
North America
A $50 USD TiVo Stream 4K is a much better deal and can run all the same apps. Owning other official Android TV boxes including the Shield, the TiVo Stream 4K has the best remote since it has an input button and numbers that work with Live Channels.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16564 posts
2985 upvotes
Toronto
bbbc wrote: A $50 USD TiVo Stream 4K is a much better deal and can run all the same apps. Owning other official Android TV boxes including the Shield, the TiVo Stream 4K has the best remote since it has an input button and numbers that work with Live Channels.
Do they sell these in Canada? Shipping to Canada from Amazon USA will cost me $95.22.

Here are the specs according to techhive and appear to be the same as the Bell Streamer:

The device runs on Google’s Android TV platform, and inside there’s a quad-core Amlogic S905Y2 processor, 2GB of RAM, 8GB of storage, and Wi-Fi 5 connectivity. These are typical tech specs for a low-price Android TV streamer, and I didn’t run into any issues scrolling through menus or moving in and out of apps.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
4554 posts
6636 upvotes
Montreal
st901202 wrote: Is it just me? Alt TV only has 720p? Even with Apple TV? It is very blurry or pixelate for me. The Bell sales told me it was going to be HD and 720p is NOT HD!!!
Technically, 720p is HD. Not Full HD but still HD.
If you get blurry or pixelated images, there's something wrong with your Internet connection or your router.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16564 posts
2985 upvotes
Toronto
st901202 wrote: Is it just me? Alt TV only has 720p? Even with Apple TV? It is very blurry or pixelate for me. The Bell sales told me it was going to be HD and 720p is NOT HD!!!
I'm using the Fibe and Crave app on an Apple TV 4K and it looks pretty good to me. It looked good on a Firestick 4k as well.
Nov 19, 2009
880 posts
235 upvotes
Laval
I'd like to switch my Firesticks to similar google streaming devices since we're in the google home eco system. Been debating purchasing this or waiting for the Google "Sabrina" to officially be announced. Though I assume Sabrina is going to cost $99?
audit13 wrote: I'm using the Fibe and Crave app on an Apple TV 4K and it looks pretty good to me. It looked good on a Firestick 4k as well.
I use the Bell App on Firestick 4k and it looks really good too. I've never had any issues with quality.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2004
9228 posts
1811 upvotes
Montreal
Gary320 wrote: I'd like to switch my Firesticks to similar google streaming devices since we're in the google home eco system. Been debating purchasing this or waiting for the Google "Sabrina" to officially be announced. Though I assume Sabrina is going to cost $99?

I use the Bell App on Firestick 4k and it looks really good too. I've never had any issues with quality.
There is also the new $30 USD Mi TV Stick that just came out with built in Chromecast, but not 4k.

Also of note, for Alt TV and Bell Fibe TV, don't you NEED TO BE A BELL FIBE CUSTOMER to use this box for Alt or Fibe TV? My friend tried to use the Fibe TV app on another internet provider and Live TV is blocked.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2004
9228 posts
1811 upvotes
Montreal
audit13 wrote: Do they sell these in Canada? Shipping to Canada from Amazon USA will cost me $95.22.

Here are the specs according to techhive and appear to be the same as the Bell Streamer:

The device runs on Google’s Android TV platform, and inside there’s a quad-core Amlogic S905Y2 processor, 2GB of RAM, 8GB of storage, and Wi-Fi 5 connectivity. These are typical tech specs for a low-price Android TV streamer, and I didn’t run into any issues scrolling through menus or moving in and out of apps.
Do NOT buy the Tivo stream 4k, it's terrible!
Nov 19, 2009
880 posts
235 upvotes
Laval
yuprules wrote: There is also the new $30 USD Mi TV Stick that just came out with built in Chromecast, but not 4k.

Also of note, for Alt TV and Bell Fibe TV, don't you NEED TO BE A BELL FIBE CUSTOMER to use this box for Alt or Fibe TV? My friend tried to use the Fibe TV app on another internet provider and Live TV is blocked.
Interesting! I'll have to look up the specs. I wonder if its as fast as either Firestick.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
9679 posts
2217 upvotes
Winnipeg
Gary320 wrote: Interesting! I'll have to look up the specs. I wonder if its as fast as either Firestick.
fast as the non 4k firestick its only a 1gb/8gb nand s805y 1.2ghz with mali450 gpu.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16564 posts
2985 upvotes
Toronto
yuprules wrote: Do NOT buy the Tivo stream 4k, it's terrible!
Only reason I was considering the Tivo was for the remote.
Sep 5, 2018
118 posts
90 upvotes
audit13 wrote: I'm using the Fibe and Crave app on an Apple TV 4K and it looks pretty good to me. It looked good on a Firestick 4k as well.
It looks so much worse from Fibe TV or and Roger's TV box on my 65in TV. I am not sure where I did wrong. I tried both methods, casting on to my TV and straight through Apple TV. They both look like 720p. Casting shows 720 input and Apple TV shows 2120p (Due to Apple TV's default output)
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16564 posts
2985 upvotes
Toronto
st901202 wrote: It looks so much worse from Fibe TV or and Roger's TV box on my 65in TV. I am not sure where I did wrong. I tried both methods, casting on to my TV and straight through Apple TV. They both look like 720p. Casting shows 720 input and Apple TV shows 2120p (Due to Apple TV's default output)
I assume you have a fast internet connection?

If you have an Apple TV 4k and a Mac, enable developer settings and turn on HUD to see the streaming bit rate.

What TV are you using? How does the picture look when playing 720 content from other sources?
Feb 4, 2017
769 posts
576 upvotes
Toronto
720p = HD
1080p = Full HD
1440p = QHD
4K = UHD