Bell Internet Retention - 1.5gig for $65 (24month) YMMV [GTA]

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 19th, 2023 6:35 pm
[OP]
Jul 16, 2016
166 posts
210 upvotes

[Bell] Bell Internet Retention - 1.5gig for $65 (24month) YMMV [GTA]

As you may be aware, Bell is not nice to existing customers.

So, when I learned about Gigabit Fibe 1.5 for $50 (2 years) + $100 gift card (GTA), I wasn't too thrilled; because I knew I would not be qualified anyway.

Currently, I am with the legacy Gigabit Fibe $130 with a $40 off promo expiring in two months.

Despite getting this promo last year with the new modem that supports Wi-Fi 6, now Bell has Gigabit Fibe 1.5 with this new modem and the regular price is even cheaper at $125!!!

Anyway, I just called to cancel the service today and told them about this and Bell Retention was able to offer the followings:

As you can see, I was paying $90 + tax (there was another $5 credit) for the Legacy Gigabit(130 - 35 - 5).

Now, I am getting Gigabit Fibe 1.5 for $65 + tax (125 - 40 - 20) next 24 months.

It is still worse than new customer offers, but I am not a new customer and FWIW, this is amazing given Bell Retention was the one who was offering.

Surprisingly, they are open today even if it is Christmas.

So, you may try your luck if you are with Bell and are in my shoes. =)

**just changed the image, so it would not show my order number.
Last edited by moeseo on Dec 26th, 2022 1:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
64 replies
[OP]
Jul 16, 2016
166 posts
210 upvotes
Apologies. I failed to upload the image properly multiple times and finally learned that I need to have a direct link. =)
Dec 2, 2014
287 posts
556 upvotes
Did you tell them right away you're canceling or did you ask if they could lower your bill first?
[OP]
Jul 16, 2016
166 posts
210 upvotes
destruct0 wrote: Did you tell them right away you're canceling or did you ask if they could lower your bill first?
For the sake of convenience, I tend to get the department by IVR
- putting my associated numbers - bell internet - authentication - to move / cancel services
- I told them that I am going to cancel right away and the rep asked for the reasons; he said there is no way he could match the $50 promo, but he would find out what he could do.
- the rep didn't bother to transfer me or anything though. He was able to pull this offer after putting me on hold for 3-5 min.
[OP]
Jul 16, 2016
166 posts
210 upvotes
Meridien wrote: Do you have any other services with Bell?
Absolutely not.
Just the internet.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2019
2374 posts
2923 upvotes
ya i called like a month ago, they offered the 1.5 for $60, but only until my current "contract" expires, which is in jan, so i gotta call in again mid jan ish and see what they can offer
[OP]
Jul 16, 2016
166 posts
210 upvotes
rfdnewbie6910 wrote: ya i called like a month ago, they offered the 1.5 for $60, but only until my current "contract" expires, which is in jan, so i gotta call in again mid jan ish and see what they can offer
Mine expires in February of 2023.
I was able to renew today.
Nov 7, 2022
4 posts
I switched from Rogers to Bell during black Friday and got the same plan. However prices can be increased* for whatever reasons, so I decided not to redeem the gift card since it stipulates that the amount should be paid back if I cancel.
Mar 13, 2020
80 posts
120 upvotes
Montreal
I am interested in lowering my bill too.
Were you ready to cancel or just bluffing? What was your plan B?
Thanks.
Dec 2, 2014
287 posts
556 upvotes
MaximC25163 wrote: I am interested in lowering my bill too.
Were you ready to cancel or just bluffing? What was your plan B?
Thanks.
What I'm gonna do is just "accidentally" drop the call
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
3095 posts
563 upvotes
I called into retention and got a very similar deal as the OP. I was going from Fibe 500 to 1.5 and got a $35 Internet Promo and $20 multi-product credit. So $55 off instead of the 60 off.
The big winner was I got them to review my TV, Landline package as well, they couldn't do much for the TV package, but was able to drop the landline from 40 bucks to 15 bucks.
So this 15 min call took my package bill from 230 a month to 175. Not too bad, and it was pretty painless, the rep was very nice and didn't even ask me any tough questions.
Dec 9, 2001
100 posts
3 upvotes
So did you just ask to speak to retention or how do you get to talk with them.
Nov 20, 2008
113 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
I called twice and they wouldn’t budge for 85. Asked them if I need to speak with retention and they said no, they could process the cancellation. So I went with Rogers. It’s amazing how incompetently inconsistent they both are.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2004
1108 posts
960 upvotes
If you're going to do the cancellation bluff, ask them to set the date for 2 weeks out to make sure you don't have any "disruption to your service while you transition". You can expect a call from their retentions department within a few days. You can always cancel the cancellation, or accept whatever they offered you if they dont end up following up.
Dec 10, 2010
561 posts
451 upvotes
GTA
Is there a direct line to retention? Or do I need call mainline, cancel and they bring me to retention?

Thanks!
May 20, 2009
55 posts
8 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
This is what I got after calling retention today as an existing Bell Internet customer.
---
Gigabit Fibe $125.00
• Unlimited usage
• Modem - One-time rental credit CR $199.95
• Modem Rental Fee $199.95
• Internet promo CR $35.00
• Multi-service promo - Internet, eligible with a minimum of Fibe 150 with an Internet promo selected at time credit applied - 24 mo. CR $15.00 Expiry date: 01-2025
---
Total Changes (before taxes) $75.00 per month
Nov 28, 2015
15 posts
5 upvotes
tianos wrote: Is there a direct line to retention? Or do I need call mainline, cancel and they bring me to retention?

Thanks!
Direct number is: 1866--988-0885

Thanks OP for the post, just called Bell and got this deal it took me a record 30min to get this done.
May 14, 2007
653 posts
105 upvotes
Ottawa
I just tried as well and best they would give me was $85 for the Fibe 500. I started at the cancellation / retention.

I’m in Ottawa, so the Toronto retention deals might not be available here.
Aug 27, 2011
635 posts
2181 upvotes
I got the Fibe 1.5GB with TV for $75/month; w/o TV internet is $65/month. In addition, I was able to get additional $100 credit as well. This is through the retention department. Make sure you negotiate for the additional credits. I argue with them the fact that their internet price go up few bucks every few months so there is no price stability and need a sweetener, so they gave me additional $100 credit.