Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Bell] Bell Internet/TV/Home Phone - New Customer and Retentions Promos *READ FIRST POST*

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 22nd, 2019 7:40 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3278 posts
1840 upvotes
Toronto
Been with Bell 20 years and credits have expired, getting hosed the last couple months but put it off.

Currently paying $70 for 50Mb, $50 for home phone and $120 for Xpress Vu.... like I said those prices are just recently as my credits expired.

Can someone give me a lead on who to call? Should I set up a future cancellation to get a call from someone looking to deal? I think I may leave for rogers anyway as Fibe TV relying on the internet doesn't really interest me much.
FreezingCanada wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2015 5:41 pm
We voted him in as God of RFD last month. Where were you during elections...?
Jun 15, 2018
223 posts
25 upvotes
CoolDudeClan wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 12:40 am
Been with Bell 20 years and credits have expired, getting hosed the last couple months but put it off.

Currently paying $70 for 50Mb, $50 for home phone and $120 for Xpress Vu.... like I said those prices are just recently as my credits expired.

Can someone give me a lead on who to call? Should I set up a future cancellation to get a call from someone looking to deal? I think I may leave for rogers anyway as Fibe TV relying on the internet doesn't really interest me much.
Call one of the retention numbers. Look online and see what the new customers get and what a competitor offers so you have some bargaining. If that doesn't work send a complaint email to the address in the first post as well.

God damn $240 a month. That's almost what i pay for 100/10 internet, good tv, home phone, 2 galaxy s9 cell phones with protection plan and 13gig shared.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3278 posts
1840 upvotes
Toronto
Artwebb1986 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 2:29 pm
Call one of the retention numbers. Look online and see what the new customers get and what a competitor offers so you have some bargaining. If that doesn't work send a complaint email to the address in the first post as well.

God damn $240 a month. That's almost what i pay for 100/10 internet, good tv, home phone, 2 galaxy s9 cell phones with protection plan and 13gig shared.
Like I said only the price as credits now have expired so its now back to full, but yes it is a lot right now. Yes it has been a few months of that because I have put off calling. Oh well.

Thanks for the info will retention.
FreezingCanada wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2015 5:41 pm
We voted him in as God of RFD last month. Where were you during elections...?
Sep 1, 2015
4 posts
Riverview, NB
I just went to pay my Bell Aliant bill and noticed my price for 1GB internet, better TV, and home phone went from $160 per month to $258!!

I'll be calling to cancel today for sure.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2013
1229 posts
802 upvotes
theganguly wrote:
Dec 19th, 2018 9:24 am
I got Bell Fibe 50 + Crave/HBO for $44.95/month for 12 months.

Installation fees waived.

Rep said customers often get upgraded when gigabit comes available in the area (my postalcode says January availability, but it also said July '18, and Oct '18 in the past).

Good deal?
Cancelled the order as Rogers gave me 500 Mbps for $30/month.

Besides, no FTTH yet (I did get a note from Bell this week saying they'll need access to poles in the coming weeks, so hopefully soon).

Anyone have an idea of how long it takes for FTTH to be available after receiving such note? (Previous note was in April 2018 where it read they'd begin laying fiber in the coming months).
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16166 posts
3323 upvotes
Toronto
theganguly wrote:
Dec 19th, 2018 9:24 am
I got Bell Fibe 50 + Crave/HBO for $44.95/month for 12 months.

Installation fees waived.

Rep said customers often get upgraded when gigabit comes available in the area (my postalcode says January availability, but it also said July '18, and Oct '18 in the past).

Good deal?
Are they actually upgrading people from 50 to 1000 for free?

It seemed they were offering good new customer deals, and I believe decent upgrade deals too for existing customers, but I had thought it wouldn't be the same price.

theganguly wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 12:24 pm
Cancelled the order as Rogers gave me 500 Mbps for $30/month.

Besides, no FTTH yet (I did get a note from Bell this week saying they'll need access to poles in the coming weeks, so hopefully soon).

Anyone have an idea of how long it takes for FTTH to be available after receiving such note? (Previous note was in April 2018 where it read they'd begin laying fiber in the coming months).
Dunno the exact timing but the whole process in my neighbourhood took longer than I expected. I think it was about a year or something IIRC.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2013
1229 posts
802 upvotes
EugW wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 12:36 pm
Are they actually upgrading people from 50 to 1000 for free?

It seemed they were offering good new customer deals, and I believe decent upgrade deals too for existing customers, but I had thought it wouldn't be the same price.

Dunno the exact timing but the whole process in my neighbourhood took longer than I expected. I think it was about a year or something IIRC.
Not 1000, but 300 is what he said, but he couldn't guarantee.

As far as installing Fiber is concerned, hopefully the 1 year is from April when I received the first notice.
Oct 28, 2016
5 posts
1 upvote
CoolDudeClan wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 12:40 am

For me, I did all the things outlined in the thread. Called 1 866 310-BELL, the retentions line and made an online complaint. They said they couldn't do anything for existing customers, etc. Note my current plan was 300U/D (unlimited), Better TV and Home Phone. So I cancelled for January 31, 2019 and said I'd be joining Rogers. It took them about 2 weeks before they started calling my home phone. I ended up getting 104+hst for 1 Gig Internet (unlimited), Better TV and Home Phone. Only valid one year though. Good luck.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16166 posts
3323 upvotes
Toronto
theganguly wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 12:57 pm
Not 1000, but 300 is what he said, but he couldn't guarantee.

As far as installing Fiber is concerned, hopefully the 1 year is from April when I received the first notice.
300 Mbps would be decent... if you can get that deal that is.

What they did in my neighbourhood is accessed the poles or whatever, and then nothing happened for many, many months, so I guess they were implementing the back end or something. After many moons (may not a full year), some people started getting knocks on their doors for a deal for FTTH.

For anyone that signed on for FTTH, the installer would come out and install fibre optic cable from the pole to the house, which in my case meant running fibre from the utility pole across the street to the utility pole near my house, then from there to my house, and then across the front of my house (along edges, etc, to be more discreet) to the other side of the house, and then down the side of my house and into my basement.
Thatguybri wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 12:58 pm
For me, I did all the things outlined in the thread. Called 1 866 310-BELL, the retentions line and made an online complaint. They said they couldn't do anything for existing customers, etc. Note my current plan was 300U/D (unlimited), Better TV and Home Phone. So I cancelled for January 31, 2019 and said I'd be joining Rogers. It took them about 2 weeks before they started calling my home phone. I ended up getting 104+hst for 1 Gig Internet (unlimited), Better TV and Home Phone. Only valid one year though. Good luck.
Heh, it would be difficult for them to call my home phone, since I cancelled that as well and didn't port the number for my Rogers Home Phone. :) They could call my cell though I suppose.

I might have stayed with Bell if they had offered me that, but they began their negotiations with a ridiculous 50 Mbps and Good TV with Home Phone for $150 tax in or something like that, which is actually only $10 cheaper than their regular price for that low end bundle, even though I was coming from Gigabit Fibe with Good TV + extra channels and extra HD box and Home Phone for less than that. Shortly after that I just stopped negotiating and told them I'm switching and that was that. Now I've already got my Rogers hardware hooked up, even though I still have two weeks left in my Fibe contract. The free installation and extra $100 credit Rogers was offering compensated for that.
Apr 4, 2007
95 posts
2 upvotes
san186can wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 3:48 pm
Can you provide his contact details? Retentions are fisting me.
pls pm me too thanks
Nov 25, 2010
303 posts
151 upvotes
I called as all my credits expired and they really couldn't do anything for better pricing. I canceled tv and keeping internet 300 unlimited for 80$ but that feels still pretty high. Might be cancelling that too.

I did get Gb upgrade for free but only for one month. Pretty useless.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16166 posts
3323 upvotes
Toronto
AAAAAAA7 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 10:53 pm
I called as all my credits expired and they really couldn't do anything for better pricing. I canceled tv and keeping internet 300 unlimited for 80$ but that feels still pretty high. Might be cancelling that too.

I did get Gb upgrade for free but only for one month. Pretty useless.
Go get a deal with Rogers. If it's a good deal, make an appointment to install Rogers for next month or whatever, and then call Bell to cancel for the next cycle. If Bell calls you back with a great deal eventually, then you can stay with Bell, or go to Rogers. If Bell doesn't call you back or calls you back with a crappy deal, then just keep your appointment to switch to Rogers.

I did the above. My Bell cancellation is in two weeks (when my monthly cycle ends), but I set up the cancellation last week. I still haven't heard back from Bell... which is fine by me since I got a good deal with Rogers.

Two years ago it was the opposite. I was on Rogers but they wouldn't give me a good retention deal, so I switched to Bell.
Dec 11, 2003
184 posts
18 upvotes
EugW wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 11:02 pm
Go get a deal with Rogers. If it's a good deal, make an appointment to install Rogers for next month or whatever, and then call Bell to cancel for the next cycle. If Bell calls you back with a great deal eventually, then you can stay with Bell, or go to Rogers. If Bell doesn't call you back or calls you back with a crappy deal, then just keep your appointment to switch to Rogers.

I did the above. My Bell cancellation is in two weeks (when my monthly cycle ends), but I set up the cancellation last week. I still haven't heard back from Bell... which is fine by me since I got a good deal with Rogers.

Two years ago it was the opposite. I was on Rogers but they wouldn't give me a good retention deal, so I switched to Bell.
Same situation here and I have scheduled installation with Rogers in early February. Put in the cancellation yesterday with Bell and filed a complaint online. Got an email later to ask me to call 1-877-874-2171. Will call today and see how it goes.
Nov 25, 2010
303 posts
151 upvotes
EugW wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 11:02 pm

Can't with rogers because I'm in Québec.

I get the idea though and could do that with another company. But I'm happy with the internet and don't need tv.

But bell did send an email with a number to call. Will see what they say.
Oct 28, 2016
5 posts
1 upvote
padfoot wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 8:37 am
Same situation here and I have scheduled installation with Rogers in early February. Put in the cancellation yesterday with Bell and filed a complaint online. Got an email later to ask me to call 1-877-874-2171. Will call today and see how it goes.
They'll give you the run-around. Just be adamant that you're upset that you're paying so much and that it makes no sense for Bell retaining customers. They'll eventually end up calling you with a "one-time offer" which should be some what decent.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)