Bell - BHell: Read this if you think to switch to Bell Internet

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2020 8:50 am
[OP]
Mar 5, 2018
217 posts
99 upvotes

Bell - BHell: Read this if you think to switch to Bell Internet

I just want to share our nightmare with BHell so you can avoid it. We were long time BHell's customer, for a very particular reason that my mom (95 yrs) needs a 2nd number that can ring a different tone when someone calls on her number. These other companies do not have this type of configuration.

In the past, we always had to call them (BHell) at least 7-8 times a year to rectify our bill.

Last year, we got an offer from them for small business service (at our home) so we switched to them our phone and internet services under our enterprise name. The contract is for 3-years, that's our stupidity to accept that. We got Internet 50/10 for 80$ and 40$ for phone, taxes includes. It was working fine for about 1 year when my son was at school and I went working in my office during the day. But since the COVID, the Internet constantly shutdown. The problem is the router reboots itself several times a day. I have called Bell support several times, their technician come to verify the line, it was good, they replace the modem, another one come and told me to plug the modem directly to the wall instead into a power bar. Nothing change, the modem rebooted almost every day. Last time, when I spoke with another 2nd level support, they said that they tried to change my profile because in our sector when the consummation increased, when it reached the limit then the modem can be rebooted. Then the speed drops from 50 to about 45, that's fine for us. But it was stable for about 2 weeks then the modem starts to reboot again. Someone told me that he had same problem in the past when he was with Bell, when he used wifi a lot, the modem rebooted.

I'm looking to switch to Videotron as all my colleges in my team are using Videotron without any problem, but the problem is we are stuck with Bell contract, they say that we have to pay 25$ a month for the left over months on the contract (15), so we have to pay 375$ if we want to quit Bell. It's really a nightmare for us as I'm working from home now, my son doing his school at home as well. The modem reboots during our meeting/class and that's several times a day.

Don't know if there is a way to escape BHell or I have to pay them 375$ to quit. I'm thinking seriously as we cannot working in this situation.

Please think twice, may be more, if you have intention switching your Internet service to Bell.

Thanks for reading.

Tom
10 replies
Sep 28, 2012
102 posts
38 upvotes
Mississauga
File a complain to CCTS and It will help you for sure
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4571 posts
953 upvotes
Scarborough
Define reboot? Do you see it power off and it powers back on again by itself?

Modem/Routers don't usually do that on it's own, so having a Bell technician test the line IMO would be kinda useless. Has Bell even offered to replace the router?

Also, it seems all ISP infrastructure has been a bit F'd up since the pandemic started.
[OP]
Mar 5, 2018
217 posts
99 upvotes
Technician has come 2 times, checked the line, replace modem, replug the modem to the wall.

Reboot means it shutdowns itself, all lights turn off, then the power light flash while starting until it can get a sync. I have spent the whole afternoon and evening with them. They cannot find anything just saying there are too error log (when the line is disconnected, my laptop tried to connect the VPN), they say there are clients having issue since a while they are working on that. It seems a bug with firmware. They reset my modem to default factory setting.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
1044 posts
673 upvotes
Montreal
I tought contract didn't exist anymore ?
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2014
1286 posts
1430 upvotes
Atlantic
elpaso wrote: I tought contract didn't exist anymore ?
OP signed a small business contract.

No contracts for individual/personal accounts.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2014
1286 posts
1430 upvotes
Atlantic
What does your network infrastructure look like? Modem, router models?

Your original post talks about both modem and router restarts. Is it a combined device provided by Bell or separate devices?
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
1044 posts
673 upvotes
Montreal
EasyCompany251 wrote: OP signed a small business contract.

No contracts for individual/personal accounts.
hmm must of read from right to left. Thanks mate.
Apr 29, 2018
806 posts
447 upvotes
Vancouver
Try putting a laptop cooling fan on the modem. Most of these reboot due to overheating
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
1969 posts
172 upvotes
Bolton
TomShopper wrote: Technician has come 2 times, checked the line, replace modem, replug the modem to the wall.

Reboot means it shutdowns itself, all lights turn off, then the power light flash while starting until it can get a sync. I have spent the whole afternoon and evening with them. They cannot find anything just saying there are too error log (when the line is disconnected, my laptop tried to connect the VPN), they say there are clients having issue since a while they are working on that. It seems a bug with firmware. They reset my modem to default factory setting.
It sounds to me more like a power spike. Your laptop won't be affected due to battery.
[OP]
Mar 5, 2018
217 posts
99 upvotes
ancnfamily wrote: It sounds to me more like a power spike. Your laptop won't be affected due to battery.
I don't have laptop at the modem, only my desktop PC plugins directly to LAN port. Yesterday, there was no reboot. But it can be stable for several days then starting reboot.
My network doesn't have anything particular. Only 2 machines need to connect to company network with VPN using Fortinet Client. Like all other people work from home now.