Cell Phones

Bell changed my rate plan without my consent!

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 20th, 2020 8:38 am
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 20, 2017
30 posts
9 upvotes

Bell changed my rate plan without my consent!

Hi all,

Seeking some advice as to how I should proceed with this.

Earlier this month, I called Bell to see if there would be a cheaper BYOD plan I could switch to, seeing as my 24 month contract was no longer locked in. I was on a pretty good plan already - $50/month Canada wide "premium" tier, with $30 for 20GB of data (a double-data promo Bell had going on last year). The Bell customer service rep told me she could take me down to a $40/month BYOD plan and keep the double data, for a total of $70/month. I was impressed and told her to go ahead, after clarifying multiple times that my plan would drop from $80/month to $70/month.

Later this month, I received my Bell bill and it stated that I had in fact been moved off of the $50/month premium plan, but the representative had also cancelled my double data add-on and moved me to an $85/month nationwide BYOD "loyalty" plan with 20GB of data. While this is still a good deal, it is most certainly not what I was quoted and is in fact more expensive than what I was paying before. Considering I was quoted $10 cheaper and ended up with $5 more expensive, I was pretty upset. So, I called Bell's customer support line again.

The agent I spoke with this time told me she suspects that the previous agent had in fact tried to change my plan to this $85/month plan, but also add on a $15/month credit applied to my second line on the account to bring the net cost down to $70. However, my secondary line on the account already had promotional credits applied to it (from a $15 off each additional line deal back when I signed the second phone's contract in 2018), and because there was already a promotional credit applied, the additional $15 off the agent tried to add didn't take effect and I was being charged the full $85/month. In other words, Bell increased my plan's price after telling me it would be lowered. I told the agent that if they couldn't honour the initial price the first agent had told me, I'd like to go back to my previous plan which was still $5 cheaper. The agent told me, however, that since that plan was grandfathered the previous agent deleted it from my account, I had to stick with the $85/month plan and would be stuck paying an extra $5/month indefinitely. All because the last agent made a mistake.

While the representative offered me a small one-time credit that would cover the increased price for a few months, I'm still stuck paying $5/month more for as long as I keep the plan which over multiple months will certainly add up. I understand that carriers can increase the price of your rate plan off-contract so long as they give you 30 days notice, but I was outright lied to and given no notice that this is how my plan was changing. I feel cheated and lied to.

I have filed a complaint with the CRTC [EDIT: CCTS, not the CRTC] and reached out to Bell again, but I'm wondering if anyone has any advice as to how I should proceed with this? I never gave them permission to change the grandfathered double data plan, and it seems as if I'm stuck with a more expensive monthly rate now through no fault of my own. Advice?

TL;DR: Bell promised me a lower off-contract rate plan, agent accidently changed it to a more expensive plan and deleted my grandfathered plan, Bell tells me it was a mistake but they can't get me my old cheaper plan back, and I'm now stuck paying more. What should I do?
Last edited by EvanKrosney on Dec 26th, 2019 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
25 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25466 posts
4609 upvotes
Complain till CCTS not CRTC
[OP]
Nov 20, 2017
30 posts
9 upvotes
Shaner wrote: Complain till CCTS not CRTC
Whoops, that's what I meant. The CCTS is where I submitted a complaint. Any chance of it going anywhere, or am I screaming into the void?
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25466 posts
4609 upvotes
EvanKrosney wrote: Whoops, that's what I meant. The CCTS is where I submitted a complaint. Any chance of it going anywhere, or am I screaming into the void?
There is a chance, yes. I've had issues resolved by using CCTS before
Dec 4, 2017
587 posts
260 upvotes
This is a somewhat common conundrum for those with grandfathered plans. Many will not ask a CSR to touch anything about the account because a little accident (which might be under orders behind the scenes, or not) can lose your plan forever.

CCTS might eventually get you something. If they do, it won't be much; you are fighting for a marginal benefit.

You are at quite a disadvantage here because you are trying to engage two bureaucracies, and it's in the interest of Bell to delay things until you don't have good alternatives, such as after Boxing Week promotions.

Remember: the carriers are in the business of marketing artificial scarcity and offering deals that are just good enough to keep you from leaving.

The way to seize control of the exchange is to find a deal that covers your needs well enough and port out immediately. Then Bell, if they really want your business, has the onus to give you their best deal via a "winback" offer.

In order to do this, you need to know what your real needs are, and the primary metric for that will be the amount of data that you actually use per month. Perhaps there are some other services (like roaming, VoLTE, etc) of interest.

For example, Lucky Mobile has 8.5 GB (and unlimited low-speed after that) for $50. If you lose benefits on the second Bell line, consider porting that at the same time. Negotiating with Bell while you are still committed to paying them is a disadvantage that you can terminate, today. Right now!

Good luck
Jan 17, 2013
695 posts
279 upvotes
IanBrantford wrote: This is a somewhat common conundrum for those with grandfathered plans. Many will not ask a CSR to touch anything about the account because a little accident (which might be under orders behind the scenes, or not) can lose your plan forever.

CCTS might eventually get you something. If they do, it won't be much; you are fighting for a marginal benefit.

You are at quite a disadvantage here because you are trying to engage two bureaucracies, and it's in the interest of Bell to delay things until you don't have good alternatives, such as after Boxing Week promotions.

Remember: the carriers are in the business of marketing artificial scarcity and offering deals that are just good enough to keep you from leaving.

The way to seize control of the exchange is to find a deal that covers your needs well enough and port out immediately. Then Bell, if they really want your business, has the onus to give you their best deal via a "winback" offer.

In order to do this, you need to know what your real needs are, and the primary metric for that will be the amount of data that you actually use per month. Perhaps there are some other services (like roaming, VoLTE, etc) of interest.

For example, Lucky Mobile has 8.5 GB (and unlimited low-speed after that) for $50. If you lose benefits on the second Bell line, consider porting that at the same time. Negotiating with Bell while you are still committed to paying them is a disadvantage that you can terminate, today. Right now!

Good luck
"Many will not ask a CSR to touch anything about the account because a little accident (which might be under orders behind the scenes, or not) can lose your plan forever" - this is a good point, this is not because the CSR or the manager or whomever does not want to restore the previous plan but in most cases, the software prevents the CSR/Manager/etc to revert back to the previous plan that is no longer offered, not unless they request for a change to the software, something that is unlikely, particularly where the software is maintained by a software vendor as this would incur costs and impractical just to do so for one odd customer.
Sep 27, 2003
10457 posts
2874 upvotes
Newmarket
stack21 wrote: "Many will not ask a CSR to touch anything about the account because a little accident (which might be under orders behind the scenes, or not) can lose your plan forever" - this is a good point, this is not because the CSR or the manager or whomever does not want to restore the previous plan but in most cases, the software prevents the CSR/Manager/etc to revert back to the previous plan that is no longer offered, not unless they request for a change to the software, something that is unlikely, particularly where the software is maintained by a software vendor as this would incur costs and impractical just to do so for one odd customer.
The carriers have back office staff / processes with access to revert back to grandfathered plans. However, these requests require submission and approval, etc....a CCTS ruling / order to "correct the situation" would be an example of when this could happen.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19720 posts
9171 upvotes
Oakville
Your original call should be recorded, so it should be a fairly cut and dry case with the CCTS to get you what you were promised. BUT, it's still not a guarantee, and it'll probably take way too long to get it all sorted out.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
3061 posts
280 upvotes
Toronto, ON
EvanKrosney wrote: Whoops, that's what I meant. The CCTS is where I submitted a complaint. Any chance of it going anywhere, or am I screaming into the void?
This happened to me last year when a rep majorly messed up and changed my $60/10GB plan. I had to escalate to their executive offices and they said they fixed it by escalating to their IT team who was able to obtain the plan back again. So just keep pushing.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare
[OP]
Nov 20, 2017
30 posts
9 upvotes
Chrispy wrote: This happened to me last year when a rep majorly messed up and changed my $60/10GB plan. I had to escalate to their executive offices and they said they fixed it by escalating to their IT team who was able to obtain the plan back again. So just keep pushing.
Was this with Bell? Or one of the other carriers?
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
3061 posts
280 upvotes
Toronto, ON
EvanKrosney wrote: Was this with Bell? Or one of the other carriers?
With Bell
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4837 posts
1443 upvotes
0 downvotes
bell jacks the rates for internet and tv every year. myself and others suck it up and accept it, why should you be so special and immune to price increases? We ALL are affected by it. The gas station increased their prices, im affected by it. the supermarket increased the price of certain foods, i deal with it like every one else why should people with cell phones feel so special and entitled and immune to price increases?
Hi
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
1194 posts
845 upvotes
Portage la Prairie
I have a BellMts plan with unlimited data. This past year they took off the $5 student discount and raised the plan $5. Plan is now $70/mth, not much you can do.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19720 posts
9171 upvotes
Oakville
GoodFellaz wrote: bell jacks the rates for internet and tv every year. myself and others suck it up and accept it, why should you be so special and immune to price increases? We ALL are affected by it. The gas station increased their prices, im affected by it. the supermarket increased the price of certain foods, i deal with it like every one else why should people with cell phones feel so special and entitled and immune to price increases?
This isn't somebody complaining about standard rate increases every year (although you really shouldn't be sucking it up and accepting it - you're throwing money away if you don't call retentions to get a retention promo, Bell happily gives them away like candy on Hallowe'en). This is somebody who called to see if there were any plans with better prices, was *promised* a certain price, and then a different plan/price was delivered than what was promised. This is a valid complaint.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1775 posts
830 upvotes
Ontario
They did that to me for my home internet and I called a bunch of times and finally got them to switch it back (took almost 3 months!) It wasn't the end of any promo or anything. Then they kept increasing my internet plan alone $5/mth for just over a year straight!! That increased my rates $60/mth+ ON TOP of what I was already paying which was way to high itself for the speed I was getting! I called many times, talked to retention's a ton, etc etc, and finally they changed service again (surprise surprise the one they had changed it too was the only one available!) I left it like that for about 2 mths as at least they lowered the price a little, but they increased that one $5/mth, so I cancelled my internet, cell phone, TV and home phone with them and made sure everyone I know knows what they did!

They even screwed up my billing after I closed it all and billed me an extra $300+ afterwards (again just for the internet for some reason.) I ended up getting a cheque from them for all of that thankfully and they finally said it was all closed, then I got another bill for $111!!! I called and they said it was taken care of but the next month (last month) they sent yet another for the same amount! This has been going on since about the end of 2018!! I called the other day and supposedly they took care of this $111 bill for good and sent me an email confirming it, so lets see if they got it right this time (doubtful!) I threatened legal action if they screw up my credit over this.

The kicker is I've had service with them (internet and phone) sine the early '90s in perfect standing and this is how they treat their very long term customers. I'd hate to be a new one! I'm glad I'm no longer with Bell for ANY services.
Last edited by IcarusLSC on Jan 6th, 2020 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
·Ï¢årµ§·
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4837 posts
1443 upvotes
0 downvotes
So when I buy milk at the grocery store, I normally pay the normal price, when it goes on sale, I get a deal but sale is usually one time only. You dont see customers going into the grocery store complaining to the Grocery Manager asking to get the sale price any time they come back and need milk, no? so why should you EXPECT promotions to be a normal thing? theyre PROMO, if they wanted to give you a good price they would do so without the promo. promos expire just like sale prices go away at the Grocery store, people need to stop expecting the sale price to be the price they pay on an ongoing basis. I worked in grocery stores for 25+ years, it just does not work that way, people need to stop this.
Hi
[OP]
Nov 20, 2017
30 posts
9 upvotes
GoodFellaz wrote: promos expire just like sale prices go away at the Grocery store, people need to stop expecting the sale price to be the price they pay on an ongoing basis.
Read the OP. The promo didn't go away, the promo was deleted by a CSR (even though it still exists on other accounts!) and was switched to a pricier plan. This is after I was promised a lower price. That's not promos expiring; that's straight up lying.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
1457 posts
940 upvotes
Near You
Write in to CCTS and complain. Good luck, but in my experience, when it's one person's case up against the bean counters at the oligarchy, the bean counters win.
• AMEX Platinum
• MC BrimRogersSTACK • Visa TD AeroplanScotiabank Momentum
• TDCT • HSBC Premier • Tangerine • Fido 25GB/35$ • Public Mobile • Google Fi • Novus 1GIG/60$
[OP]
Nov 20, 2017
30 posts
9 upvotes
Thanks to everyone who responded. I received a call from Bell a few days ago and they offered 20% off the line in question for two full years. While it's still not the solution I was hoping for, it works out to a $17/month savings over 24 months, or $204 altogether.

Thanks to everyone for the tips!