Cell Phones

Bell Charges me $30 For mInutes and disconnects when I am in the middle of talking

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 9th, 2019 6:37 pm
[OP]
Sep 4, 2019
1 posts

Bell Charges me $30 For mInutes and disconnects when I am in the middle of talking

Last Christmas, my bag was stolen at the Vancouver Christmas Market. My cell phone was in my bag, so I had to buy a new cell phone. I wanted to get the same kind I had before but they didn't have it. I had to pay $300 for a new cell phone. I was a Samsung that had something called "Bell" on it. I thought Bell ceased to exist when Reagan broke it up. Once a month, I had to go to special "Bell" store in Oakridge Mall to put $30 on the phone. It turned out that Bell literally charges you $15 a minute. Every month, I put $30 on my phone. Then I make one single two minute phone call to my mother, where I say "I'm going to hang up, call me back". Then I hang up. The entire phone call is literally two minutes. Then my mother calls me back, and I am talking to my mother for a long time. While we are talking, the phone starts beeping. While I am talking to my mother, I hear this noise in the background....beep! beep!....and then, after that, I am talking to my mother, when all of a sudden, the line goes dead. At first I don't even know that it disconnected, and I keep talking, and then I ask my mother something, and she doesn't answer. I say "Hello? Hello?" and I realize there is nobody there. I immediately call her back, and it plays an automated audio recording that says, "You have insufficient funds to make this call".

WHAT?????? I JUST PUT THIRTY DOLLARS ON THE PHONE!!!!! I MADE ONE SINGLE PHONE CALL THAT LASTED LESS THAN TWO MINUTES!!!!!!! I MADE ONE SINGLE TWO MINUTE PHONE CALL!!!!!!

Then my mother calls me, and when I am talking to her, we are disconnected for no reason. I call her back right away, and it plays a recorded message that says, "You have insufficient funds to make this call".

BELL CHARGES THIRTY DOLLARS FOR TWO MINUTES????!!!!!!

I only use the phone to call my mother once a month. Each time, the call is less than two minutes. I never use the phone for anything else. I can not call from my house because the other people renting rooms in my house can hear every word I'm saying so I have to take the bus from my house to UBC just to call my mother. While I am talking to her, it suddenly disconnects for reason, and when I try to call her back, it says, "You have insufficient funds to make to make this call" even though I only made one two minute phone call since putting thirty dollars on the phone. Then I have to walk to the 41 bus stop. Then I have to wait for the 41. Then I have to ride the 41 all the way from UBC to Oakridge Mall. Then I have to walk through Oakridge Mall to the Bell store. Then I have to put another $30 on the phone. Then I have to walk all the way back to the 41 bus stop. Then I have to wait for the 41. Then I have to take the 41 all the way back to UBC. Then I have to walk back to the room to call my mother. Then I call my mother back, and say, "I am going to hang up. Call me back". Then I hang up, and my mother calls me back. Then after that, I try to pick up the conversation where I left off. When I am finally finished talking to her, I have to take the bus back to my house. Calling my mother literally ends up taking all day.

THIS SAME THING HAPPENS EVERY SINGLE MONTH EXACTLY THE WAY I JUST DESCRIBED IT!!!!!

This has happened every single month since I got the new phone last December! It happened February, March, April, May, June, July, August, every single month, I put $30 on the phone, make one single two minute phone call, I never use the phone for anything else, my mother calls me, I am in the middle talking to her when it just disconnects for no reason, when I try to call back, it says "You have insufficient funds to make this call", even though I only made one single two minute phone call since putting $30 on the phone, and then I have to take the 41 all the way from UBC to Oakridge Mall, go to the Bell store, put another $30 on the phone, take the 41 all the way from Oakridge Mall to UBC, call my mother and tell her to call me back so we can finish the conversation, and I have to do this every single month. The exact same thing happens every single month!!!!! I have had to do this every single month since last December!!!!!

I complained to the people at the store, and they said that I should not be charged $30 for two minutes, and I should not be charged for incomming calls. I know I shouldn't so why am I? They just tell me to call customer service but when I try to call customer service, I can't even get a human on the line. It is just a robot listing options that involve purchasing their products.

THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPENS EVERY SINGLE MONTH!!!! WHY THE HELL IS THIS **** PIECE OF CRAP CHARGING ME THIRTY DOLLARS FOR TWO **** MINUTES????!!!! EVERY SINGLE MONTH!!!!!!

So what do I do? Nobody I talk to knows what I'm talking about. I do not care about the money. I do not want to go all the way to Oakridge Mall, and then all the way back to UBC, just to finish a conversation. Has anybody else had this problem?

I wish I could buy another phone but I spent $300 on this phone, and I don't have an extra $300 to buy another phone. I never had any problem with the old phone that was in the bag before it was stolen.

If anyone can help me, please email me at jeffery_winkler@mail.com
7 replies
Jul 22, 2006
278 posts
240 upvotes
Bell is not charging you $30 for 2 minutes. They are charging you for each minute you are talking to your mother. Does your prepaid plan say you have free incoming minutes? As far as I know, there's no prepaid plan that's $30 per month that gives you unlimited incoming minutes (as per the Bell website). All providers for the most part charge for incoming and outgoing calls per minute. That's why you're draining your $30 so fast every month. Maybe you should look closely at what kind of plan you have on your phone before going on a long rant about this. Plus it's taken you 8 months to try and figure this out? Maybe you should have clarified this much sooner before doing the same thing over and over for so long. You obviously have not done any research as Bell in Canada has nothing to do what was one Bell in the USA. I'm baffled at your rambling.
May 21, 2018
403 posts
330 upvotes
You're hilarious. Get a proper cell phone plan with unlimited talk and text for the same price.
Don't forget to goo your attic!
Aug 15, 2009
471 posts
248 upvotes
Montreal
I lost track after the 5th phrase...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8527 posts
983 upvotes
elpaso wrote:
Sep 6th, 2019 7:01 am
I lost track after the 5th phrase...
I made it to when Reagan broke it up.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1571 posts
761 upvotes
Calgary
Someone wouldn't go through this nearly 8 months without getting it fixed or moving to a different provider. They also should know that you can top up your account from your phone itself (unless they really don't want to provide their debit card info to Bell). Also, why would you have to go to UBC, then to the mall and BACK to UBC? There's lots of places you could go to take those calls that wouldn't require a ton of bus rides.

As another poster said, it sounds like you don't have the $10 Unlimited Calls option (there's no "free incoming" calls option that I can see on Bell's site). Log into your MyBell account and see what you have. Are you also using any data on this phone?

Seriously though, this is one of the most bizarre posts I've read here on RFD in a while.

Also, you might want to remove your email address.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
25759 posts
11106 upvotes
I get not being tech literate, but this is getting a bit extreme.

Even my mom (who literally uses a piece of paper for her contacts despite having a flagship) can pay her bill properly.

bandersnatch wrote:
Sep 9th, 2019 2:48 pm
Google OP's email for some interesting reading.
I have to wonder if this is just trolling at this point.
This was hilarious.