Expired Hot Deals

[Bell] CraveTV 6-Month Package $40.75 (15% Discount) to Promote Star Trek Library (for new and existing subscribers)

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 9th, 2017 11:55 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
1156 posts
649 upvotes
SW ON
Hugh wrote: It's a little hard to find. You need to say that you want to give a gift subscription. To yourself. There are two discounted options: 6 months and 12 months.

I purchased a 12 month gift subscription but I have no evidence that it actually happened. Maybe there will be a code in the mail eventually, but there wasn't one right away.
I tried that about half a year ago. It never worked. As you say there was no evidence it happened, my CC was charged for 12 months, next month I was charged the regular monthly rate. I tried again. Again there was no evidence I actually purchased a 12 month subscription, except perhaps the message on the screen after I clicked "Buy" or smth like this, I don't remember the details now. No confirmation emails both times. After my second attempt I called them, explained that it didn't work the first time, asked if I actually bought the discounted 12 month subscription. Nice lady on the phone assured me that I did and I will be charged for 12 months on my next billing date. She said she would call me then to make sure that it went the way it should have. Next month I was charged the regular monthly rate again and nobody called me. At that point I thought "pathetic Bell", nothing ever works and they better be left alone. Trying to change something for better may turn things for worse, and I left my subscription month to month as it was.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
3189 posts
708 upvotes
Toronto
Hugh wrote: It's a little hard to find. You need to say that you want to give a gift subscription. To yourself. There are two discounted options: 6 months and 12 months.

I purchased a 12 month gift subscription but I have no evidence that it actually happened. Maybe there will be a code in the mail eventually, but there wasn't one right away.
Best I can tell, nothing happened when I did this the first time.

When I tried again, it required my credit card information. Then it sent me an email with a code. Then I entered the code in my account and got acknowledgement.

The first time it did not ask for cc info. I assumed that it was just billing using the same cc as my monthly bill. After all, I was logged in. Now I think/hope that the first attempt was just a damp squib.
Member
Jun 29, 2015
294 posts
125 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Nexzen wrote: Game of thrones ain't coming to crave tv anytime soon. That's a big seller of cable packages with movie network add on.
I would agree with you. What I'm hoping for is a test to determine how popular HBO shows airing weekly would be on the platform. Which is why I suggest Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Plus, I want to watch the new season of Curb Your Enthusiasm. Will it happen? Probably not. Can it happen? Absolutely
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
1156 posts
649 upvotes
SW ON
Hugh wrote: Best I can tell, nothing happened when I did this the first time.

When I tried again, it required my credit card information. Then it sent me an email with a code. Then I entered the code in my account and got acknowledgement.

The first time it did not ask for cc info. I assumed that it was just billing using the same cc as my monthly bill. After all, I was logged in. Now I think/hope that the first attempt was just a damp squib.
Watch your CC for continued monthly charges. I wouldn't be surprised if they keep charging you monthly even after what you did, knowing it's Bell.
Newbie
Aug 22, 2015
72 posts
54 upvotes
ZeppelinDude93 wrote: I would agree with you. What I'm hoping for is a test to determine how popular HBO shows airing weekly would be on the platform. Which is why I suggest Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Plus, I want to watch the new season of Curb Your Enthusiasm. Will it happen? Probably not. Can it happen? Absolutely
It can't, actually.

Crave shows older HBO shows that are no longer on the air. Sopranos, Wire, Entourage for example.

New shows and new episodes go on TMN Go. Curb, GOT, Ballers would fall under this.

You might get an older season of a newer show on Crave but you won't get a new episode of a new HBO show any time soon.
Member
Jun 29, 2015
294 posts
125 upvotes
Toronto, ON
TheGr8One wrote: It can't, actually.

Crave shows older HBO shows that are no longer on the air. Sopranos, Wire, Entourage for example.

New shows and new episodes go on TMN Go. Curb, GOT, Ballers would fall under this.

You might get an older season of a newer show on Crave but you won't get a new episode of a new HBO show any time soon.
Both platforms are owned and operated by Bell (TMN Go is the Bell-powered solution in place of HBO Go which is unavailable in Canada). Their deal with HBO is not contingent on limiting new content streaming to TMN Go (to the best of our knowledge based on the information that is publicly available). So there is no legal reason it can't happen - the question is does it make sense for the business, and will they do it?

Unlike most other countries, Canada does not offer a standalone HBO streaming service like HBO Now. The only reason for this is the fact that Bell owns all TV and digital broadcast rights to HBO content in Canada, and to date has refused to sell the content this way. If they were to start offering any HBO content via a streaming-only option (or wanted to test the market), the logical test environment would be Crave, since the platform is already completely built and they've trained Canadian cord cutters to go there for their fix of premium cable content (Showtime and Hulu content date-and-time, HBO content archive). Considering the demand for the service, this seems like a pretty smart opportunity to continue to build the customer base for Crave TV, and potentially begin a tiered program there ($8 for Crave, $15-$20 for Crave + HBO).

So, can it happen? Yes. Will it happen? Likely not, because Bell continues to stay behind the curve on selling Canadians what they want, and they'd rather sell fewer cable packages with HBO for $25 than more streaming packages with HBO for $15-20.
Newbie
Aug 22, 2015
72 posts
54 upvotes
ZeppelinDude93 wrote: Both platforms are owned and operated by Bell (TMN Go is the Bell-powered solution in place of HBO Go which is unavailable in Canada). Their deal with HBO is not contingent on limiting new content streaming to TMN Go (to the best of our knowledge based on the information that is publicly available). So there is no legal reason it can't happen - the question is does it make sense for the business, and will they do it?

Unlike most other countries, Canada does not offer a standalone HBO streaming service like HBO Now. The only reason for this is the fact that Bell owns all TV and digital broadcast rights to HBO content in Canada, and to date has refused to sell the content this way. If they were to start offering any HBO content via a streaming-only option (or wanted to test the market), the logical test environment would be Crave, since the platform is already completely built and they've trained Canadian cord cutters to go there for their fix of premium cable content (Showtime and Hulu content date-and-time, HBO content archive). Considering the demand for the service, this seems like a pretty smart opportunity to continue to build the customer base for Crave TV, and potentially begin a tiered program there ($8 for Crave, $15-$20 for Crave + HBO).

So, can it happen? Yes. Will it happen? Likely not, because Bell continues to stay behind the curve on selling Canadians what they want, and they'd rather sell fewer cable packages with HBO for $25 than more streaming packages with HBO for $15-20.
The Bell contract with HBO states that current programming remains exclusive to HBO Canada. Meaning it can't go on crave which is why it doesn't. Eventually it may but under the current agreement it won't happen.
Member
Jun 29, 2015
294 posts
125 upvotes
Toronto, ON
TheGr8One wrote: The Bell contract with HBO states that current programming remains exclusive to HBO Canada. Meaning it can't go on crave which is why it doesn't. Eventually it may but under the current agreement it won't happen.
I've spent quite a bit of time reading about their deal but never saw that. In that case, you're right - thanks for clarifying and teaching me something new.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 22, 2012
3604 posts
4096 upvotes
Toronto
chaddix7 wrote: Any 4k content coming to crave Tv?
Since most of the stuff is from tv and tv is far from 4k, I highly doubt it.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8548 upvotes
GTHA
Reminder...

Star Trek Discovery beams onto CraveTV tonight at 8pm ET
https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/09/25/star ... night-8pm/
While Star Trek Discovery made its Canadian broadcast debut on CTV on September 24th, the first episode in the prequel series is also set to stream on Bell’s streaming service CraveTV at 8pm ET tonight in a special two episode premiere.

Subsequent episodes of Discovery will stream on CraveTV at 9pm every Monday night.

Bell says it’s also streaming a variety of Discovery-related companion programs, including Talking Trek, Star Trek: Discovery’s official after-show. Talking Trek landing on Crave TV on September 25th at 10pm.

It’s worth noting that Star Trek Discovery was filmed in Toronto and stars several Canadian actors, including Vancouver’s Rekha Sharma (Commander Landry) and Toronto’s Clare McConnell (Dennas, a leader in the Klingon empire).

While a CraveTV subscription typically costs costs $7.99 CAD per month, Bell is also offering a discounted six-month package that’s priced at $40.75.

CraveTV is available on iOS, Android, Apple TV and the Xbox One.
Banned
Dec 28, 2015
614 posts
239 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Signed up mostly for star trek but lots of high quality shows on it...way better than Netflix

Canceled my Netflix..will use Amazon video and cravetv... May do Netflix one or two months a year but the quality of Netflix shows are rubbish
Member
Jul 5, 2013
282 posts
148 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Crave needs to make an android tv app already... Sony tv has android OS and that's how I view Kodi, Netflix, YouTube etc. And my nvidia shield has android tv as well. No crave app, no deal.
Member
Jul 5, 2013
282 posts
148 upvotes
NORTH YORK
MrWhiteCoffee wrote: Signed up mostly for star trek but lots of high quality shows on it...way better than Netflix

Canceled my Netflix..will use Amazon video and cravetv... May do Netflix one or two months a year but the quality of Netflix shows are rubbish
LOL you have that backwards. Netflix original content is amazing and they're only getting better.
Newbie
May 22, 2011
41 posts
14 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Was all set to sign up and then found out they don't have an android TV app. I contacted them but they don't seem to really know what android TV is, how is that even possible? I did sideload the android app onto my shield but the remote does not work with the app. I guess I'll stick with Netflix,

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)