Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Bell] Bell Expressvu HD RETENTION - FREE PVR (1 Year) FREE HD RECEIVER (2 years)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2019 10:11 pm
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11832 posts
3170 upvotes
GTA
noob666 wrote: just a friendly reminder

bell tv no longer has retention plan

max they can really gives you is a few dollars credit rebate, for the people who wanted to cancel don't feel bad if there is no offer for you

have fun
It seems to be a case of YMMV, as just looking back over a few recent posts, some people have got healthy discounts on programming, whereas others were told $5 is it and cancelled.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Banned
Jan 2, 2009
413 posts
74 upvotes
I called today, was offered $5 off compared to the $20 I had last year, so I cancelled. Are they calling people and offering them better deals after they cancel?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
2521 posts
85 upvotes
brian.gerson wrote: I called today, was offered $5 off compared to the $20 I had last year, so I cancelled. Are they calling people and offering them better deals after they cancel?
nope

they have removed all retention plan, so you better off just to sign up with other provider

the retention rep is now rated by credit / call they are giving out so good luck to sqeeze out anything from them
It's a deal if it's on RFD :!: :!:
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
3019 posts
1144 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote: Whats so bad about the 9241? I currently have the 9200 and they told me they dont have the 9242 left to give out.

What kind of hissy fit ?
I had my 9200 plugged into 2 tvs, so getting 2 receivers to replace it would have meant rewiring that connection. Also, both tvs have access to the hard drive. If you go with the 2 receiver solution they send you the hard drive is not networked. Lastly, the 9242 just has better reviews than the 9241.

I spent about an hour on the phone and was transferred 4 times. Each time they said it was tough luck I just explained that since I was losing features (sharing the hard drive) this was a downgrade and there was no way I was being downgraded. The last manager I spoke to asked for a week to find me the receivers. He called back 4 days later and said they were on there way.
Dec 4, 2006
168 posts
92 upvotes
Edmonton
I called retention a few weeks ago to see if they can match Telus 10/10/10 deal that are currently being offered out here in the West (BC/AB). The deal (-$5) Bell got back to me didn't even come close so I decided to cancel Bell TV(I was a customer for 10 years+). Plus I didn't like their new package (Good/Better/Best) in which you pretty much need to go to Better which is twice as expensive than Good to get the decent channels. For RFDers in BC/AB, Telus or Shaw is really putting out much better offers when you bundle TV service with your new or existing Internet and home phone.

Plus the receiver with Telus is better and more advanced. The HDPVR with Telus has 320GB/500GB which can record 200+ hours in HD and 4 simultaneous HD streams in my neighborhood. Bell 9241 even though it has 250GB/320GB it can only record 20-30 hours at most in HD and at most 2 channels at once. I guess the difference is between the IPTV and satellite technology.

Check out these threads:
Telus: telus-15-15-15-promo-925005/66/

Shaw: shaw-tv-phone-internet-bundle-29-99-12- ... 150553/10/
Banned
Jan 2, 2009
413 posts
74 upvotes
brian.gerson wrote: I called today, was offered $5 off compared to the $20 I had last year, so I cancelled. Are they calling people and offering them better deals after they cancel?
They called me and offered me $5 off plus a one-time $100 credit. I agreed to that. It's not as good as the $240 off I had last year, but I have $1000 in equipment that I don't feel like selling at a loss on kijiji.
Oct 31, 2007
3411 posts
473 upvotes
yep definitely seemed to have tightened up. A year ago I called and got a free HD PVR along with $20 per month credit. The $20 per month credit just ran out and when I called them they said the best they can now offer is $5 off per month. They didn't seem to want to budge beyond that. The guy put it on there and said to call back in a month as they may have some better offers on at that time, which just seemed like a bs line.

I guess now I'll evaluate the competition and see what the best value is. I went from $64 per month (which I was fine paying and thought was fair) to closer to $80 per month now with the $20 -> $5 credit change. I have no problem selling my 1 HD PVR and 3 HD Receivers to change to a better monthly value competitor.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
2160 posts
265 upvotes
North Vancouver
looks like Bell mobility Bell TV all tighten retention offers
noob666 wrote: just a friendly reminder

bell tv no longer has retention plan

max they can really gives you is a few dollars credit rebate, for the people who wanted to cancel don't feel bad if there is no offer for you

have fun
Oct 12, 2005
279 posts
53 upvotes
Edmonton
Just called Bell as my $20/month discount expired - all they have in their system is the pitiful $5/month discount. I thus had to downgrade my programming to end up with same net monthly payment. Disappointed a bit - it went from 30% off, to 20% off, to $20/m off, to just $5/m off.

I did get them to manually adjust the current bundling discount - they had been applying $8/month ($4 for mobile, $4 for TV), but the webpage shows eligibility to $13/month. The regular rep couldn't apply it and had to speak to retentions to get this applied.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2003
1357 posts
15 upvotes
I want to sign up as a new customer. I already have a cell phone with Bell. I want to get 4 receivers for the house and need the dish installed as well. Do you think they'll cut me a deal? Should I go to a Bell store or deal with them over the phone?
Jul 10, 2002
433 posts
78 upvotes
My contract expired two months ago and so did the free HD PVR rental promotion. I called in and politely explained this and asked if I was eligible for any kind of promotion.

Fast forward 15 minutes, the PVR is now free for 36 months and then I will own it. They also gave me a $5 rebate for 12 months. I'm pretty happy!
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2006
2413 posts
1077 upvotes
Barrie
kag wrote: My contract expired two months ago and so did the free HD PVR rental promotion. I called in and politely explained this and asked if I was eligible for any kind of promotion.

Fast forward 15 minutes, the PVR is now free for 36 months and then I will own it. They also gave me a $5 rebate for 12 months. I'm pretty happy!
I have to say the same thing...I just was given a 36 month PVR for free then I will own it deal too. Also I went from a bill of 120/month inc tax to 78/month inc tax and got 50 more channels. This was all through retention...oh and this was all contract free.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2007
5319 posts
3960 upvotes
Calgary
RunnerForDeals wrote: I have to say the same thing...I just was given a 36 month PVR for free then I will own it deal too. Also I went from a bill of 120/month inc tax to 78/month inc tax and got 50 more channels. This was all through retention...oh and this was all contract free.
Can you detail what you asked for and how it all went down?
Jul 10, 2010
12 posts
9 upvotes
Got a letter from Bell about the 9200 Receiver swap so I called in and requested a 9242. As I'm sure most of you are aware they are all out of them so I bitched and moaned after they offered to send me a 9241 and 5900. Anyways I went ahead and let them ship them and then called after setting it all up to complain how I no longer have picture in picture and will no longer be a NFL Sunday Ticket subscriber because of it. They sent me to a call center in Nova Scotia where I got a sweet lady explaining she would do anything she could for me however Bell is no longer giving the discounts they used to. My $20 credit just expired 2 months ago. The best she could do was offer me $5/month and I said that wasn't enough.

She put me on hold for about 5 minutes and came back and said she could give me a 9400 Receiver for free to make up for getting 2 crappy receivers. My understanding is this will be a $699-$749 receiver when it hits the shelves so I took it. I was also told they did not want any of the other receivers back.

Went from a 9200 to a 9400, 9241 and 5900 in a matter of a week.
Penalty Box
Dec 25, 2004
2276 posts
224 upvotes
There is no such thing as a 9400. They will send you a 6400 which is a cheap version of a 6131. It is a single tuner and not a PVR (although you can add an EHD) The 6400 is worth about $100.

And they still have plenty of 9242s available by the way. They lied to you.

You will also have to return the 5900 or they will bill you for it.